Why is the 'Tech & Peformance' Section private?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Lee36328;223386 said:
Heng,

Welcome.

Congrats on your choice. Take your time and you'll find a good specimen.

Do post if you have any specific questions. If you search, you'll find many discussions on e36 here, what to look out for etc...

Enjoy your stay.

Hi Lee36328,

Sad... as many important thread in BMWCM are off limit for newbies(non registered members)

Information of Engine Tech and etcs are off limit..

I wonder how newbies will feel about it..

If I may add...

May I suggest that BMWCM Forum open all thread to newbies for 1 week.

As many newbies are here to search for solution to their problems with their UDM or to search for secondhand UDM to achieve their dream of driving one.

If they find it hard to learn more about their car here then they might source it else where.

I google.. and I found BMWCM and this forum helped me for my search for my UDM... So if many of the important threads are closed..... susah la.

Dear Geoffrey

Yes it is a free world and everybody has a the right to do what they one.

Pls let us explain this again, BMW Club Malaysia has moved on from the cyberspace domain and is now in the process of setting up a club on earth.
What BMW Club hopes to be is to be as great as this site. So basically now the site is one of the many priveleges you get for being a member of BMW Club Malaysia and not the other way around.

Like we said earlier in another posting , information you can get everywhere but can u get BMW Club Malaysia everywhere? We are trying to build this club as of now with the hope of it being one of the best automotive clubs in the country with a vision of a club house and so on but as in any club it needs members and funding from the members in the way of subscription fees to make all this vision a reality.
So its not a matter of what you get or what you can get but what you can do to bring this club to another level by supporting it to the best of ones ability so that you can proudly say Im a member of BMW Club Malaysia with pride.

We dont want to go into details abt the other sites/group but do you know the history of how they came abt?...through BMW Club Malaysia. They came they looted and they left. So thats why we are what we are now but we are glad that this groups still acknowledges BMW Club Malaysia as the reason they found each other and still supports BMW Club Malaysia Official TT....

Why does one join Lake Club, Tropicana Club and so on which cost much much more...it is for a sense of belonging... to say Im a member of this club and that club and the more prestigous and expensive the club is the more you would want to tell the whole world.You can do that too now at a much much lower cost and say with pride that u are a member of BMW Club Malaysia. Seriously, if you go and tell somebody in the street "Im a member of bXXXXXsclub" he or she would probably be scratching his or her head and wonder what is that...but if you say Im a member of BMW Club Malaysia...now that is a different story with a different perceptive value just like when you say you are a member of Lake Club to Im a member of Pond Club.

We are not saying BMWCM is the best but one thing for sure though, with all the support from you all out there it is not impossible to be . So to you guys out there who still cant see the concept of what is happening here...its no more abt the forum/site its about you and me making BMW CLUB Malaysia a reality, to build a place where we can call HOME.

ROME WAS NOT BUILT IN ONE DAY BUT IT WAS BUILT AND EVENTUALLY BECAME AN EMPIRE.

geoffreylee;223393 said:
If I may add...

May I suggest that BMWCM Forum open all thread to newbies for 1 week.

Thank You for your suggestion. Your suggestion will be taken into consideration.

geoffreylee i seconded yr great idea...perhaps even open for 2 weeks cos when bz 1 week can be a bit short..

To all, I think paying joining and subscription fees to be a member is just fine. But there are definitely several factors to consider:

1. The club committee is responsible and accountable for all monies collected.

2. They have to continuously regulate the rules & membership of the club.

3. They have to constantly make the club eventful & purposeful.

All the three above requires a great deal of sacrifice and time on the part of the committee - much of it is usually thankless. So, I take the opportunity to thank the commitee for their dedication to this club - it is tough work!

I am a member on many forums locally and internationally, on the subject of cars and others. I do not pay anything to be a member. These forums have brick & mortar clubs, too. I only pay subscription fees if I participate in the brick & mortar club.

BMWCM has taken the road to have members join up, even to participate in forums - entirely their call. TTs and other gatherings seem to need a sanction from BMWCM to go ahead. BMWCM keeps reminding us they are the only official club here, so far.

MY PREDICTIONS:

1. Current membership will fall to the numbers that have signed up. I think the committee knows this and have designed it this way. Well and good, because they can concentrate on actual members.

2.BMW fans who don't own or who are aspiring to one one, would drop out, too.

RESULT: These people who drop out will then start another club, maybe calling it the BMW FAN CLUB. It would be open to all who want to "forumize" and who hope to own a BMW and for those who just like BMWs. They, will then build up on their membership, go to BMW International and say, "Look, we have this large number of members and want to be recognised as an official BMW Club". They will also do the same for BMW Malaysia. They will get this recognition they ask for because in the future, there will be someone or a few people or many people; who have appreciated this fan club, have come up in life, economically wise and have the money to buy a BMW or several BMWs. And because each person knows at least 200 people.

I personally became a BMW fan because my ex-boss loves BMWs and would usually buy many BMWs each year. Plus at the same time, looking was not enough. A friend let me test drive his brother's brand new E28 520i at that time. I was sold. I didn't have the money and could not afford a car at that time. I told myself, "When I buy BMW, it must be new". Now, I am on my third BMW in 7 years.

INNOVATOR;223426 said:
To all, I think paying joining and subscription fees to be a member is just fine. But there are definitely several factors to consider:

All the three above requires a great deal of sacrifice and time on the part of the committee - much of it is usually thankless. So, I take the opportunity to thank the commitee for their dedication to this club - it is tough work!

I am a member on many forums locally and internationally, on the subject of cars and others. I do not pay anything to be a member. These forums have brick & mortar clubs, too. I only pay subscription fees if I participate in the brick & mortar club.

BMWCM has taken the road to have members join up, even to participate in forums - entirely their call. TTs and other gatherings seem to need a sanction from BMWCM to go ahead. BMWCM keeps reminding us they are the only official club here, so far.

MY PREDICTIONS:

1. Current membership will fall to the numbers that have signed up. I think the committee knows this and have designed it this way. Well and good, because they can concentrate on actual members.

RESULT: These people who drop out will then start another club, maybe calling it the BMW FAN CLUB. It would be open to all who want to "forumize" and who hope to own a BMW and for those who just like BMWs. They, will then build up on their membership, go to BMW International and say, "Look, we have this large number of members and want to be recognised as an official BMW Club". They will also do the same for BMW Malaysia. They will get this recognition they ask for because in the future, there will be someone or a few people or many people; who have appreciated this fan club, have come up in life, economically wise and have the money to buy a BMW or several BMWs. And because each person knows at least 200 people.

I personally became a BMW fan because my ex-boss loves BMWs and would usually buy many BMWs each year. Plus at the same time, looking was not enough. A friend let me test drive his brother's brand new E28 520i at that time. I was sold. I didn't have the money and could not afford a car at that time. I told myself, "When I buy BMW, it must be new". Now, I am on my third BMW in 7 years.

I agree with you...

It is a lot of hardwork for BMWCB on this.. Will help promote BMWCM always..

Guess difference people have difference expectation from "Club".

As for me.. it is my 'ride' that I appreciate most and I would like to meet other who adore and love their BMW. Many forumers here who dream of owning a BMW since they r very young and it is always their dream car even they already own one or two.

I am not so much into status or who I with but of how I can love "BMW" more. I must say, I agree with

" I didn't have the money and could not afford a car at that time. I told myself, "When I buy BMW, it must be new".

Good to have the money to buy a new BMW as the ride and drive experience is not the same as a 10 years old BMW. Anyway, this keep me love for BMW always so there one I can always admire.

The Perdana Vsixer is one of the example where we can learn. Very active members and lots of sponsors. We may learn to request registered member to summit their car registration details.

BMWCM started so well.. you have the most active BMW member (unofficial) or fan club... Keep it going please.

Do continue to seek new stategies ... not everyone are proud to be member of highend clubs. Many who can own a NEW BMW are already famous and rich and at that status, they are here more on fun, excitement, lifestyle and networking.

Sorry if I have said too much here.. or offended anyone.. Sharing all this as for the love of BMW.

INNOVATOR;223426 said:

INNOVATOR,

Thank you sincerely for the excellent points. I like point 3 especially.

Do you have any suggestions/ideas for events for the club? Lets talk.

It is good to hear everyone's views in a frank, open, and constructive discussion. It is also good to see that the fee structure is taking effect, what I'd like to call the put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is effect. Suddenly, things are being taken more seriously because cold hard cash is involved.

It's easy to talk. It's more difficult to contribute. It's even harder to fork over hard-earned dollars. People who pay will care more deeply about what they are paying for because the club, in a very real sense, 'belongs' to them. The members are all, in effect, shareholders of the club.

Of course, the immediate effect is that the club will shrink in size compared to the forum before. But no matter. Even a few passionate individuals will make more difference than a few thousand indifferent masses.

For the concerned citizens who fear that the people running the club will suddenly profit from the membership drive, rest assured. The club, as an official club, is bound by the law governing societies, not to mention the official bmw club guidelines. As in point 1 above, the committee is BOUND by regulations to be held accountable for all monies involved. But good point, I will also check to see whether the regulations also require an annual audit of some form or not.

Good discussion, keep the feedback coming.

I think this club is going no where now ...............

There are tons of FREE info in others clubs tech sections. Why pay ??? :mad:

Lee36328;223433 said:
INNOVATOR,

Thank you sincerely for the excellent points. I like point 3 especially.

Do you have any suggestions/ideas for events for the club? Lets talk.

It is good to hear everyone's views in a frank, open, and constructive discussion. It is also good to see that the fee structure is taking effect, what I'd like to call the put-your-money-where-your-mouth-is effect. Suddenly, things are being taken more seriously because cold hard cash is involved.

It's easy to talk. It's more difficult to contribute. It's even harder to fork over hard-earned dollars. People who pay will care more deeply about what they are paying for because the club, in a very real sense, 'belongs' to them. The members are all, in effect, shareholders of the club.

Of course, the immediate effect is that the club will shrink in size compared to the forum before. But no matter. Even a few passionate individuals will make more difference than a few thousand indifferent masses.

For the concerned citizens who fear that the people running the club will suddenly profit from the membership drive, rest assured. The club, as an official club, is bound by the law governing societies, not to mention the official bmw club guidelines. As in point 1 above, the committee is BOUND by regulations to be held accountable for all monies involved. But good point, I will also check to see whether the regulations also require an annual audit of some form or not.

Good discussion, keep the feedback coming.

ALL society are required by the ROS law to submit audited account annually. The same goes to Minutes of meeting during the AGM. Everything has to be done tranparently. Can i suggest that the Constitution and ByLaws be posted on the forum for our perusal. If i were to joined. I would need to know how the club will be run whilst in constraints of the Constitution.

Hi All,

Firstly, I've always thought of bmwclubmalaysia.com as THE BMW club. The forum members have always been ever ready to offer their advice for FREE. I'm not entirely certain that these latest developments are for the best of the club.

IF the forum is meant for people who love BMW's whether they own one or not, for BMW lovers to swap info and help each other out, for BMW enthusiast to just hang out online and share their views with other BMW enthusiast then I think this latest measure to 'encourage' people to join the club had failed.

From a BMW owner myself, I have gotten plenty of good advice form fellow forummers and hopefully I have also been able help out some of the other BMW forummers. It is quite dissapointing to hear about this latest measure to get people to officially join the club. Personally, it feels more like blackmail to me.

"You MUST join the club or you don't get to use the forum".

Anyway, like those that have posted comments on this issue before me, those in charge have every right to do so as it is indeed up to the individual to decide whether they want to officially join the club or not.

However, don't you think it is a bit counter productive IF the objective is to encourage more members to join the club? IF the objective is to restrict or reduce membership to an elite group of BMW owners then this method would probably achieve that objective.

IF the objective is to get more people to join the club and be seen as the definitive BMW club in Malaysia then don't you think opening the forum up to ANYONE who has registered online would be better? I'm sure not everyone on this forum is a BMW owner. I'm sure some are looking to buy a BMW sometime in the future and some are just passionate about BMW's. BUT I'm sure ALL of the forummers love BMW's or they would not be forum members. Why is bmwclubmalaysia shutting the door to all these individuals? Do you really think that those who are not BMW owners would want to officially join the club BEFORE they have bought a BMW? What would they drive to the clubs events etc.? Would they even be allowed to join in since they don't have a BMW? Imagine a BMW convoy with Proton's, Honda's, etc. mixed in with the Bimmers? Or are those who are members but don't own Bimmers supposed to follow behind so as not to disrupt the BMW owners in front?

You can argue that if they were so passionate about BMW's then they should officially join the club. Yes, that is probably true but I'm sure those who have not joined yet have their reasons. I'm certain its not about the money. Anyone who has bought or is thinking about buying a BMW can surely afford the membership fees.

So why haven't I joined? Its not about the money. Some of us just don't have the time to join all the activities or TT sessions etc. I have a 2-year old daughter and another kid on the way so even if I wanted to join in the activities and TT sessions, this is probably not the right time for me. I'm sure other have work or other reasons for not being able to join in.

So where does this leave us? I love BMW's. That's why I joined the forum. I like participating in this forum and check it daily to keep up with what's new. If the Committee wants more people to sign up as official members then they should show us fellow forummers all the benefits of signing up. Give anyone enough good reasons and most would sign up. I would like to be more active in the club and would sign up BUT as I mentioned above I don't have the time to participate. So what do I do? Sign up just to have access to this forum? What other reason would I have to sign up?

I actually feel quite dissapointed with what is happening now. Its almost like we are being forced to sign up or we will be shut out of the forum. Is this really the best way to get people to sign up? By threatening them?

Anyway, I hope that this decision to progressively close the forums to those who are not official members will be reversed. If not, then I suppose we will progressively be shut out and will have no choice but to find somewhere else to go.

I do hope that I'm wrong and all of us fellow BMW enthusiast can continue to use this forum without any discrimination between 'official' and unofficial members. bmwclubmalaysia.com should be seen as the leading BMW club in Malaysia and set an example for other clubs to follow.

1. The club committee is responsible and accountable for all monies collected. Yes as per regulations of the ROS we are bound to an annual audit

We try to enforce rules but we are deemed as control freaks and bcos of this the splinter groups are formed...it has happened bcos evrybody has the assumption that the internet have no boundaries so how do we educate this people. Well
you cant pls everybody but there are still a large percentage out there with the right kind of mentality so we hope this people will make BMW Clubs vision a reality.

Yes but it has to have members and funds to organise it, so thats why we are having a membership drive now and with the support from all, this is not one of the problems I foresee at all.

Yes but somebodies got to do it, infact you all can come aboard looking at how passionate you guys are, so that this club can be what you expect it to be.
FYI anyone of you outhere can run for president of this club, if you are up to it.

Why do we emphasise on the word 'OFFICIAL' bcos that is what makes us different/special, that is our selling point. We are not any tom, dick and harry so called BM lovers club but the OFFICIAL BMW CLUB of Malaysia. Would you sell someting and emphasise its weakness or its strenght.

MY PREDICTIONS:

What would be your prediction then of Lim Goh Tong when he started to build something up a hill many many years ago with maybe a start up staff of 20?

Yes then we can have members with the right frame of mind to bring this club to greater heights.

I dunno how to swim, I dunno how to play tennis, I dunno how to play golf but I joined Tropicana Club.

FYI only this club with official status can use the word BMW and their logos,
not anybody else and as the Official club in Malaysia we are empowered to enforce this in Malaysia.

You see you had a vision and you made it a reality, why not try to share this vision of the club so it can be what it was meant to be.

Dear Seech

Do you actually know that all automotive club out there that are registered with ROS charges subscription fees. We have been funding this site personally for too long now and the reason for this club in the first place was not abt this site but this was what that was started first, the vision when this club was set up was to be an official Club that existed on planet earth and not in cyberspace.
You see we have run this site for so long now that you all have assumed that this club is about this site, yes in a way but this site was actually suppose to be a privelege to members.
Yes we used this site as a marketing tool, as a free sample to entice people to officially join the club is that wrong? We had to start somewhere...like I said many many times if its information you want the internet is the information superhighway but if you want to join a club a specific club where all have the same interest as you in particular BMW's then join BMW Club Malaysia.

XXX

May I suggest BMWCM to organised a leisure gathering with 'regular member'? (Membership drive event) A gathering with other malaysia forums member will be great!! Agenda is to promote the club and clear the air.

Many still not very clear of the club's objectives.

Like Seech had said, many are here (forum-club) to learn about their cars.. If you said..

"like I said many many times if its information you want the internet is the information superhighway but if you want to join a club a specific club where all have the same interest as you in particular BMW's then join BMW Club Mlaysia."

Then I presume many 'regular members' will moved to other FREE forum and unofficial BMW Club. Why I say so... cos I find all I need in other unofficial club and also members are more enthusiate and passionate about the car.

BMWCM should have ride on promotion during F1 for their membership drive. Invites to Pit Lane (F1 live show) should only be for BMWCM members not all BMW Owners.. With that members will feel their exclusiveness.

There are many events that BMWCM or UDMOnxxxx... or Bimmexxxx receive official invites to special events.

another point to ponder, have you all not in anyway gain from this site;
new friends, new business contacts, savings on parts, gaining knowledge, having fun.
You all have gained so much and thats why you all are retaliating to the fact that this site will have limited access soon. So to say at the end if the day, that you are paying for nothing bcos you only participate in the forum I think that is not fair, but what you can do is to repay what this site has done for you is to help her achieve its vision by being a member.

XXX

May I suggest BMWCM to organised a leisure gathering with 'regular member'? (Membership drive event) A gathering with other malaysia forums member will be great!! Agenda is to promote the club and clear the air.
That will be done in due time but seriously do we actually need to meet face to face to get things done, everything is all here for you all to see, we have created a great site isnt that proof enough now is another phase where we are now trying to build a great Club.

Many still not very clear of the club's objectives.
I think if you have browse through this forum all the the objectives are there which is to be The Club for all BMW enthusiast and to be what a great club should be.

Like Seech had said, many are here (forum-club) to learn about their cars.. If you said..

"like I said many many times if its information you want the internet is the information superhighway but if you want to join a club a specific club where all have the same interest as you in particular BMW's then join BMW Club Mlaysia."

Then I presume many 'regular members' will moved to other FREE forum and unofficial BMW Club. Why I say so... cos I find all I need in other unofficial club and also members are more enthusiate and passionate about the car.
By all means but Geoffrey sad to say after all this you are still not getting anywhere near the point of what we are trying to explain. There are Hotels and there are Homes, we are trying to build a home.

BMWCM should have ride on promotion during F1 for their membership drive. Invites to Pit Lane (F1 live show) should only be for BMWCM members not all BMW Owners.. With that members will feel their exclusiveness.
Yes we are only starting so you cant expect much yet but if we can grow as big as this site many sponsors and infact BMW Malaysia itself will come knocking at our doors. Infact we can be united and have our voices heard by BMW Malaysia, that is how strong we can be. So when that is in place you will definetely feel exclusive and be the envy of all other members of other clubs.
FYI BMW Malaysia and BMW Club Malaysia have got nothing to do with each other we are Officially Sanctioned by the BMW Club Council in Germany that was set up by BMW International but being the Official Club in Malaysia BMW Malaysia can officially work with us if they want to.

There are many events that BMWCM or UDMOnxxxx... or Bimmexxxx receive official invites to special events.
Pls refer above

XXX;223451 said:
Dear Seech

Do you actually know that all automotive club out there that are registered with ROS charges subscription fees. We have been funding this site personally for too long now and the reason for this club in the first place was not abt this site but this was what that was started first the vision when this club was set up was to be an official Club that existed on planet earth and not in cyberspace.
You see we have run this site for so long now that you all have assumed that this club is about this site, yes in a way but this site was actually suppose to be a privelege to members.
Yes we used this site as a marketing tool as a free sample to entice people to officially join the club is that wrong? We had to start somewhere...like I said many many times if its information you want the internet is the information superhighway but if you want to join a club a specific club where all have the same interest as you in particular BMW's then join BMW Club Malaysia.

xxx, I can understand the difficulty in running a club. Its a pretty thankless job. All the members whining about why like this, why like that, but thankfully we have dedicated people in the committee who care enough to want to start something up. I also agree that you should not be funding this site personally. My point is this, there are those which want to sign up to be an official member and attend all the events etc. and there are those that like this forum and cannot join in on any of the other events.

We all can find information about our Bimmers anywhere else on the 'information superhighway' so why is it we like to hang out here? Its not just about the info since everyone knows you can get info anywhere. Its about a sense of community. Let those who want to take it further officially join the club. Those who want to join will certaintly join. Those who don't can still participate in this forum and still remain part of the community. Making this forum one of the benefits doesn't make sense if all the non official members are shut out and there's no more activity within this forum.

If the idea is to keep certain sections of this forum 'exclusive' to the 'official' members then may I suggest starting up another section title 'For Official BMW Club Malaysia Members Only' and make that section only for 'official' members. Then only those 'official' members can post there and the non official members would not be able to see what they are discussing. Wouldn't that achieve the same effect? If this doesn't make sense then how would shutting out certain sections of the existing forum make any more sense?

In any case, all of us have contributed in some way to those sections that are now closed. So both 'official' and non official members were the ones that initially posted on the closed sections so why is it that those that contributed initially to make the forum what it is can no longer view what they have posted. Its almost like all the post which were posted by BOTH 'official' AND non official members are now property of only the 'official' members.

Another idea would be to block out any post from 'official' members so that only 'official' members would be able to see what other 'official' members are posting. After all, that is the idea of having a private forum for 'official' members only isn't it? So that only 'official' members can see what other 'official' members are posting. That way, any special info that 'official' members have can only be viewed by other 'official' members. I'm sure the other non official members would not have a problem with that. If they wanted to find out what the 'official' talk is then they would also 'officially' join the club.

If the question is about funding this site then can we all find out how much it actually costs to fund the site? What is the total cost of running ONLY this site? I will gladly pay to become a member of the cyberspace version of bmwclubmalaysia.com in order to keep this forum up and running. I don't want the any stickers, t-shirts, etc. etc. but am willing to support keeping this site up and running.

Can we all find out what is the cost of keeping this site running? I'm sure our fellow forummers would appreciate the transparency. Then we can figure out how many members would be willing to join the cyberspace version and hence how much each member should pay to keep this site up and running.

Anyone else willing to do the same? Lets see how many fellow forummers, who are willing to join a cyberspace version of the club just to keep the site up and running, are out there?

Can we all find out what is the cost of keeping this site running? I'm sure our fellow forummers would appreciate the transparency. Then we can figure out how many members would be willing to join the cyberspace version and hence how much each member should pay to keep this site up and running.

Anyone else willing to do the same? Lets see how many fellow forummers, who are willing to join a cyberspace version of the club just to keep the site up and running, are out there?

Count me in!!

XXX, thanks for your input and reasoning, a bit on the defensive side, though. Nevertheless, points taken.

seech - agree with you, its not so much about the money. I share the same predicament as you - time. I am on several committees (heading one of them), plus my business and my family. My radio-control car hobby has taken a step back. Even my cigar party events have dwindled - all because of time. So, I prioritise.

XXX, I can safely say that all members of this forum think this is a good place to be. If we are going to pay fees just to be on the forum; because this a gathering of fellow BMW owners; the numbers will dwindle. To say that the current members of this forum, joined it ONLY BECAUSE ITS FREE, is also wrong; partially.

To say that I can't put a BMW logo on own my website because I own a BMW; is also wrong. Its my wish. I am not defaming BMW, I am just reassuring my passion for this marque. What enforcement powers does BMWCM have or would have to prevent anyone from putting the BMW logo on their website? What about the Auto Bavaria Club? FYI, they use the logo
As I said, the fanclub can start up, grow in large numbers. They write to BMW International, show them their official number of members and hits to their website, and say "support us, too" - we have the numbers to back us up. They will approach BMW Malaysia, too.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with the road BMWCM has taken, fully justified. Those who may want to form a website club will eventually do it, and if their numbers are large enough; will get recognised by all parties. After all, thats the name of the game.

HAVE FUN>

Top Bottom