Why BMW = Banyak Masuk Workshop?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

echoesian

Club Guest
I have three friends driving E90, one is 325i 2007, one is 320i 2009 and another is 320d 2010. The 320d owner is very satisfied so far with no major problem with his car, however the 320i owner has a lot of problems after 1 week collecting his new car. The issue like air-con smell, water pump, brake lights, paint scratches, etc... same goes to the 325i owner who was having problems starting after the 2 years warranty period expired... My thought is why BMW such a luxury and expensive brand is so unreliable and cannot do proper QC before deliver to the customer?

My 2004 E46 M54 engine seldom give problem.

Have some issue when I first bought the car but it was due to parts that is due for changing.

BMW reliability sucks! If not having a Toyota as my daily work horse, and the 50/50 chassis weight distribution 4-door saloon of BMW, I would have stayed away from it.

Its not the quality now .. its quantity that BMW are intrested. Last time car makers compete with their quality product . Nowadays they wana achieve target in term of quantity . Sumore getting hightech year by year and things tend to have more glitches nowadays. Soon we will have cars which pre-programe the house route/destination with GPS and it will drive itself home.. sumore sakit kepala .

If bought brand new and having issues in a week, then reliability is questionable. After 2-5 years and being the 2nd owner obviously its due for some major maintenance.

My brand new zero mileage E90 320i N46B20 during 24 months warranty period with less than 40k km mileage through out:

1) claimed valve cover gasket 4 times! due to leakage, until the flange O-ring and vacuum pump O-ring is replaced.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?29471-Is-this-serious-for-a-21-months-old-car

2) claimed 1 oil sump gasket.

3) warranty fix of steering lock error issue, causing car cannot start.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...ering-Lock-E90&p=379137&viewfull=1#post379137

4) claimed a burnt fuse for central locking, remote control unable to unlock the car.

Now coming to 4th year, 60k km, just replaced alternator pulley and v-belt tensioner pulley replaced at own cost. Now oil sump gasket damp again.. :104::13::42:

astroboy;679251 said:
My brand new zero mileage E90 320i N46B20 during 24 months warranty period with less than 40k km mileage through out:

1) claimed valve cover gasket 4 times! due to leakage, until the flange O-ring and vacuum pump O-ring is replaced.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?29471-Is-this-serious-for-a-21-months-old-car

2) claimed 1 oil sump gasket.

3) warranty fix of steering lock error issue, causing car cannot start.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/foru...ering-Lock-E90&p=379137&viewfull=1#post379137

4) claimed a burnt fuse for central locking, remote control unable to unlock the car.

Now coming to 4th year, 60k km, just replaced alternator pulley and v-belt tensioner pulley replaced at own cost. Now oil sump gasket damp again.. :104::13::42:

How much did you pay for the repair of the alternator pulley + v-belt tensioner + oil sump gasket?

I have done biz with the Japanese and i would like to say they really respect what they r doing and pay attention to every details in engineering. their sense of responsibility for their work is very strong never tired to constantly improve their work. result --- superior quality products with minimum defects

I have not done biz with the Germans but with other european / western countries. generally they are more towards enjoying life rather than strive to reach for perfection in their work.---the reliability issue is far too behind than the Japanese. (though they dare to try new technology, but the reliability issue normally arise out of "standard" or low technology parts which should not be the excuse)

Some die-hard fans of BMW would argue that every car marque would got their problems. that is true but the defect rate is what we are talking about. some would say 3-5% is acceptable. i think for the Japanese marque is less than 0.5%. that is easily a whopping 10 times less reliable than its Japanese counterparts.

BSRI or warranty is one part. the time needed to send the car in and out of the workshop is taxing even for the self employed, not to mentioned those need to report to work daily.

I love my BMW but just got very much annoyed by news of constant problems, and the worry of when would be the day i got stranded in highway under the hot sun or rainny day or something. (worse if with important guest in the car)

I have been trying very hard to maintain my BMWs in the best way i could. (more or less like maintaining a relationship, he he). hope that my "hardwork" pay off well.

There should not be reason or need to sacrifice reliability for performance. they should go hand in hand!

just my comment as a BMW supporter, no offend to anybody

IF BMW's were made almost unbreakable like The MINI then it will end up like one, isn't it...During warranty, are we having these japs like Toyota, Honda..etc..not going in for claims??

Nmr Nik Soh;679476 said:
wow .. I feel horrible to buy a BMW when i read comments on, especially comments from echosian

Okay ma.. echoesian ask you to buy 320d.. :4:

Better than the clover leaf snake car, that one you buy, must get 3. One to use, one for spare and one remain stuck in the workshop.. :13:

Please have more than 1 BMW at home. Old or new does not really matter.

1. Daily workhorse
2. Weekend drive/spare car
3. Spare car/standby car

agree with EL118...this is more about their way of life and thinking...japanese will test the product they have until damage it and find resolution for it...not like european who always claimed they are the best and just always give a temp workaround on certain problem...no offense...i'm dealing with japs and European/westener almost everyday on the tech part...nothing we can do to change their way of thinking...

seewai;679490 said:

1. Daily workhorse
3. Spare car/standby car

Car porch not big enough lah, need to prepare for underground car porch when shift house next time.. he he

seewai;679490 said:

1. Daily workhorse
3. Spare car/standby car

I got 3 cars as u mentioned...
1. Daily workhorse is E39
2. Weekend/ Family car is Estima
3. Spare/ Standby car is Iswara.

The combination seems right to me.. Just want to have the best of the three worlds...IMO

Unfortunately a lot of consumers who drive BMW don't have passion... So the myth will continue as long as there are rich bloke/wannabe who drives a BMW but pretty blind about how the car behaves and what it was built for.

Some say you got a lemon.
Some say all BMW are unreliable
Some say they are reliable as any jap car.
Some say not maintained properly that is why unreliable.
Some say it is sensitive so need alot of TLC.
Some say technology comes with price..so shut up and foot the bill.
Some say handling comes with a price...
Some say maintain in BMW AD as oppose to workshop outside.
Some say your are paying for a badge, heritage and snob factor....reliability is not a priority.

Apparently "Banyak Masuk Workshop" happens around the world.....Google and see for self..

Conclusion: For those who owns a BMW and keeps complaining on its reliability utterly FAILED your Risk Management and Decision Analysis and for those who intend to own one, please do your RM and DA to see if it fits your bill else you'll end up complaining as well.

If only we had more people like Mizhan, Badrul, Iceman, Haywire, and so many more who are so passionate towards their cars, irrespective of age, to keep them up and running, like new. Reliability? Come on, treat her well, do some preventive maintenance, and boy oh boy, is she gonna reward you well. ;)

I'm still delighted with my 24 year old workhorse too. :adore:

Yes yes, failed alternators and faulty starter incidents aside, what more can I ask for?

Well, maybe better FC la... Kekeke. :biggrin:

Agree with pardy, things come with a price..its all about willing buyer who agrees to commit such relationship..To me, this owning experience is very priceless..enuff said..

Top Bottom