What's our best fuel....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I discovered by mixing 50:50 or basically a mixture of Vpower & Regular I get extra oooomph...only thing very leceh is have to swipe card twice.

just changed from v-power to primax today...the only difference i feel is that i now have more money to spend :) i think v-power will only make noticeable difference in ultra-high performance cars like ferraris, porsches & turbocharged cars

XXX;337773 said:
I discovered by mixing 50:50 or basically a mixture of Vpower & Regular I get extra oooomph...only thing very leceh is have to swipe card twice.

sure or not??? will give it a try next time.

really one! for my carlah dunno abt yours, use to put vpower neat but feel no difference only pocket lighter, one day go oustation filled with vpower, halfway through the journey when want to refill no vpower so put normal , the car felt different. After that I did a test and i got the same result more oomph and more km.

this may sound ridiculous but i have found the best fuel for my car and pocket... 50% v-power + 50% primax...better fuel economy and no less power than v-power neat. in fact it eliminated a ticking sound during full throttle experience with v-power neat. can anyone explain?

xxx...this is more leceh than your case as i have to swipe my card twice at different station!

python_dev;243888 said:
most BMW's as mentioned in other parts of the forum are factory tuned for 87 Octaine Most of the petrols here are 92 or better, so depending on the tuning of the car (and no 2 cars ever the same) can vary with which ever fuel you use... Since I work with shell I have a tendency to use shell (Got discount one) :p so at the end of the day, we will all find what is right for our car by a bit of playing around.
P.S same goes with engine oils also ;)

As mentioned earlier, BMWs are factory tuned for 87 octane only apply to (R+M)/2 method. Malaysia use RON method, which RON97 approx same as 92OCTANE
If you look at your user manual, malaysia BMW recommend minimum 95RON.

python_dev;243984 said:
Regular is a 92 octaine where as V-Power is a 97 Octaine

Yes, V-power is 97RON. Which mean is same as Petronas PRIMAX , Caltex Ulimate(gold?), & Mobil F1.
That is the reason why I boycott Shell gas because same RON but alot more $.

Octain Level relate to how well fuel burns, the higher octaine always means better engine burn and less carbon, as well as gives more power to the engine through better efficiency.

No! Higher octane fuel DOES NOT necessary mean fuel burns better.
You need a better tuning, with higher compression ratio & advanced timing to utilize the higher octane.
If your car only require 91RON, and it does advance your timing base on your fuel selection, pouring anything higher then 91RON is just SILLY waste of gas and money.

main difference in the different fuel companies is the filtering process and the amount and type of impurities which lower the octaine level, in some cases these can do more damage to an engine then most things.

Disagree. The main different between fuel companies in their fuel is their additive in the fuel.
Lower octane gas does NOT have more impurities.

LCP;243993 said:
wan520i, RM should be RON... maybe the Germans says it differently... In this country there's only two grades of petrol, the 92 RON "regular" and 97 RON "premium"... Even Shell V-Power is rated at 97 RON, officially...

Yes, Shell V-power is 97RON. Now, why pay more?

ess530i;340649 said:
just changed from v-power to primax today...the only difference i feel is that i now have more money to spend :) i think v-power will only make noticeable difference in ultra-high performance cars like ferraris, porsches & turbocharged cars

Because most of these car has sensor to detect fuel quality(octane rating actually). Like the new Mazda6, it will advance timing until it sense a light knocking. So, if you pour in higher octane fuel, it will utilize higher octane advantage.

Like XXX mentioned, pour 50:50 mix of 92RON & 97RON yield a "better performance".
It make sense. By doing so, the fuel octane in the gas tank is about 95RON.
Most malaysia's BMW is tune to run 95RON. That's why you get better performance.

If the car is design to run in 91RON, Honda Accord for example, if you pour 97RON, you get less HP, less torque, more carbon deposit, and in the end, you end up with higher repair cost.

ess530i;342364 said:
this may sound ridiculous but i have found the best fuel for my car and pocket... 50% v-power + 50% primax...better fuel economy and no less power than v-power neat. in fact it eliminated a ticking sound during full throttle experience with v-power neat. can anyone explain?

xxx...this is more leceh than your case as i have to swipe my card twice at different station!

U guys talk about petrol like talking about wiskey. :top:

bro turbology, meaning BMW E60 going for Shell, V-power is a kind of waste money is it? if so what is suitable for my E60? Primax? o those that registered with RON95 will do? PLEASE advice me

V Power = FC ok , throttle response good

Shell RON97 = FC ok , throttle response ok

Petronas/Caltex/Esso/Mobil = FC good , throttle response ok

BHpetrol = Dont dare to try. Kekeke

This works for both my E30 and E36. Just some personal experience and observation. Different car and different driver, different story.

There are only 2 types of fuel in Malaysia. RON92 & RON97.
Some gas station, including Shell has more than 2 types of fuel.
Shell has Regular (RON92), Super (RON97), and V-power(RON97)

ChookLeng : Is V-power a waste of money? I will let you judge it yourself :)

WC9922: Yes. Regular Whiskey (12years), Gold Whiskey(18years), and Rare Whiskey (21+ years)
I will take Royal Salute. TQ. :)

turbology;342423 said:
Like XXX mentioned, pour 50:50 mix of 92RON & 97RON yield a "better performance".
It make sense. By doing so, the fuel octane in the gas tank is about 95RON.
Most malaysia's BMW is tune to run 95RON. That's why you get better performance.

If the car is design to run in 91RON, Honda Accord for example, if you pour 97RON, you get less HP, less torque, more carbon deposit, and in the end, you end up with higher repair cost.

Bro why my E39 530i stated it can use RON91~RON98?
Does it advance ignition timing when I use 98 and retard when 91 to avoid knocking?

I don't have E39's 'ECU' schematic diagram. So I am not sure if it advance when you use RON97.
But it does have knock sensor to prevent knocking & retard timing when using RON92. You just get less performance. It won't create any problem if it stated RON91 can be use.

You might notice 3-10% less in KM per tank if use lower octane fuel.
With just 3sen ( or 2sen, how much is RON92? ) , it doesn't make sense to use lower octane gas in your BMW.

Only if the price different between 92 & 97 are more than 10% in price, I will stick with RON97 in BMW, like in US & Japan

I don't think any BMW Engine Management System will advance the engine timing basing on the fuel octane used. It can only retard the timing with the feedback signal from the knock sensors.

That being said, given the little price disparity between RON92 and RON 97, it is a no brainer to go with RON97. As for power and throttle response, it is secondary to me now.

For fuel economy, No fuel drives you longer than SHELL...:love:

Cheers

chairoger;342439 said:
V Power = FC ok , throttle response good

Shell RON97 = FC ok , throttle response ok

Petronas/Caltex/Esso/Mobil = FC good , throttle response ok

BHpetrol = Dont dare to try. Kekeke

This works for both my E30 and E36. Just some personal experience and observation. Different car and different driver, different story.

chairoger & all...dont even think of trying BHP i tried before by accident and it took away like 20% of my car's power with no improvement on fuel economy

Top Bottom