e36 loose fuel hose at Tank

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Well it happened to me yesterday.

See http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12081&page=23

I had a scare today. I was in Jln Tenggiri, Seberang Jaya. At the traffic lights(b4 the Shell station), my wife was commenting that there was a strong petrol smell . We thought it was the car in front of us. Suddenly a lady started knocking on my window saying that petrol was coming out under my car.(Thank u whoever u are, u probably saved our lives.)

I pulled over and it was petrol pouring out. Called my mech and he told me to go to any workshop nearby as it was probably a hose.

There was a workshop behind the Shell station. I drove there (about 100 metres away.) Petrol continued to pour when I tried to move the car.

He wasnt sure what the cause was. My mech( through the phone) told me to tell him to look under the rear seat but this bawah pokok mech told me he had to drop the fuel tank to check. He didnt really seem to know what to do.(although he was quite helpful, he wasnt even sure how the jack the car up on the ramp....where to place the ramp legs...he eventually did it but I was worried that he would damage my undercarriage).

I decided to call AAM and tow the car back to Pg to my normal mech.( Lesson dont trust u Bimmer with any Tom Dick & Harry)

My mech seemed to know excactly what went wrong , the hose under the rear seat gave way and caused the petrol to leak. He changed the hose and cleaned up the area. It took 10 mins and costed me RM20. Towing was free, Bridge was RM45.

Well let me try to explain what my mech( Ah Seng from Chu Seng auto) did.

When I towed my to the workshop and told my mech what happened, he immediately opened the rear seat. He then unscrewed the black color plactic cover under which there are two hoses.He said one is a pressure hose and the other is a overflow hose @ something like that.

The end of the pressure hose had eroded over time and I presume suddenly gave way as there was absolutely no warning about it. The clip could hv also gotten loose.

What my mech did was he cut out the old hose (3-4 inches) and replaced it with a new hose( with a metal pipe inside).He also replaced the clips.

He said this problem is quite common in a E36 , if so should this be replaced or at least inspected periodically. I therefore suggest that u guys get ur fuel hoses checked asap esp the ones under the rear seat.

Had I read this thread earlier I would hv insisted my mech look at it and change the clip and hoses.

Imagine if a motorcyclist had thrown a cigarette butt on my leaking petrol......!

That surely was a very scary experience.

10 months later......Smelt petrol again tioday. Took the car to the mechanic and when he opened to rear seat, there was petrol overflowed near the hose. He wiped/dried off the petrol and tried to identify the leak, no success. We the filled up the petrol to the brim, still cannot locate the leak. He tightened up the clips and asked me to drive the car around and check again tomorrow.No more smell from inside the cabin but I can still smell it outside my car near the wheel arches.

Any idea where the leak is?

Anxious,

try the other cover. For an e36, there is "two" tanks. There is a possibilty that the other tank hose is corroded.

Last year it happens to me too. Back from Penang, Full tank gone empty at Bidor. heavy rain . Stop under fly over, Waited for tow truck. towed to Bidor rent a car back to KL as it was midnight. Next day go back to get the car. Back to KL change all the rubber Hoses on the . Damage RM900 for tow truck, mech and car rental. Replace all the hoses RM150. Do your maths , the trouble and dangerous situation it puts you n family in.

Have it replace.

jarance;365932 said:
Anxious,

try the other cover. For an e36, there is "two" tanks. There is a possibilty that the other tank hose is corroded.

Thanks Jarance. You were right, the cover under the rear left seat also had petrol. I got them to replace the hose and the float.

Bill as follows:-

Fuel Float L/H RM270
Hose RM 9
Labour RM45
S Tax RM2.25
Total RM326.25

Hopefully, no more fuel smell...boy did the car stink when the cover was opened.

Today I realised that the fuel tank is under the rear seats, one on the left and one on the right.

glad you have managed to solve your problem..

The E36 have a "reputation" of petrol leak around this area.

In addition, the right side fuel sender wire tends to come off when you go over a super bump.
This due to the weight of the fuel pump and the wearing down of the rubber dampener.

ccl68;24253 said:
I was asked to share this also.

A few weeks ago, upon leaving my hometown Penang to KL, I was travelling with my sister & we both could smell petrol, but couldn't find the source, even upon opening the bonnet.
Anyway, we continued the journey, going over the bridge, passed the toll & I noticed that we have finished a quarter tank of petrol!
Even after checking the fuel consumption estimation on the Onboard computer, I should be averaging 28 mpg.
Then the smell got worse. We stopped at the first 'P' stop.
The engine was still running,the fuel was gushing out under the fuel tank!
I thought the worst, a cracked tank, it's a Sunday and I have my mum's frozen cooking on the rear seat!!!! :eek:

Quickly, I exited to Kepala Batas, manage to find a mechanic at the left turn after the toll, who was working on a broken down truck.
We removed the the rear seat & my precious cargo (U will understand if your mum's a great cook!) unscrew the cover over the tank & we found the pump/float assembly cover flooded. Upon switching on the ignition, petrol started spewing out from the hose, which had the original hose clamp, and it was loose. The hose had slided along the neck of the flanged pipe & manage to barely stay on. The mechanic pushed back the hose, tighten the hose clamp (which I replaced upon reaching KL) & all was OK.

Manage to continue the journey without a fault, except for a massive jam, so the journey actually took 6 hours!!! :angry:

I checked with my Mechanic, Ah Seng fr Chu Seng Motors Penang, & he said that this incident is not uncommon.
Things like this doesn't happen to e30s, do they? :huh:

What else could happen then?
Then the fuel float wire problem came.....but that's another story.

The saga continues with the 328ic.... :blink:

haha..?
nice wan bro..?
i'm sure ur mum is a great cook..?

bro..?
u r frm png..??
ur mechanic Chu Seng izit..?
u ask him bout Red E38 formerly director of Farlim Group..
i got my e38 frm thre n did my 1st service n gasket changed thre..?
but nw i do my service in bayern motor works..

Top Bottom