What's our best fuel....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bmrocket

Club Guest
Heard a pinging sound coming from my engine recently but I've only travelled 30k kms so i didnt think it was anything major..Was down in sunway and one chap told me it was related to my choice of fuel..Quality of fuel or should i say lack of quality was quoted as being the cause of the pinging sound and was further advised that the best fuel to use is Sh**l and the worst was Pet****sAny comments???

My car is not fussy over any brands of petrol. However, I tend to get slightly better mileage when i use Petronas

hmm...however i feel that i can travel lesser when i'm on Petronas...Shell gives me better milleage...

Mine gets better FC with Mobil and Petronas, sluggish on Shell.

As for the rest of the brands..no comment.

I've actually been using petronas all the while with no complaints but was told their fuel not that clean burning n causing my engine (rings) to make that ping sound..trying shell out now but not sure if V-Power really worth the extra RM!

has alot to do with the tuning of the engine, all fuels are designed for different levels of tuning, most BMW's as mentioned in other parts of the forum are factory tuned for 87 Octaine Most of the petrols here are 92 or better, so depending on the tuning of the car (and no 2 cars ever the same) can vary with which ever fuel you use... Since I work with shell I have a tendency to use shell (Got discount one) :p so at the end of the day, we will all find what is right for our car by a bit of playing around.
P.S same goes with engine oils also ;)

I did get my engine tuned for the higher octane levels..
So bro python, are you able to share with us if there is a discernable difference btwn regular n V-Power??? :listen: If not then how about your discount!!! :wink:

Go for Shell.....better mileage.....quality fuel.....less friction

python_dev... I believe the 87 octane is MON (M???? Octane Number) rating, commonly used in the US, our fuel rating is using RON (Research Octane Number), our 97 RON is equivalent to maybe the 91 MON (not sure, memory a bit off, getting old a bit...) and our "regular" fuel 92 RON is maybe 87 or 85 MON.

In the US, all cars sold there are required by their government to be able to run on the cheapest and lowest grade petrol available, since cars are an absolute necessity there. If I'm in the US on biz trip, driving rented cars, I'll just pump the cheapest and lowest grade petrol and the car will still run fine...

Back to the topic... I used Shell too, more consistent performance.

bmrocket;243912 said:
I did get my engine tuned for the higher octane levels..
So bro python, are you able to share with us if there is a discernable difference btwn regular n V-Power??? :listen: If not then how about your discount!!! :wink:
Regular is a 92 octaine where as V-Power is a 97 Octaine
Octain Level relate to how well fuel burns, the higher octaine always means better engine burn and less carbon, as well as gives more power to the engine through better efficiency.
In theory you would get better milage, but with the new power there is a tendency to be a bit heavier on the foot :p
main difference in the different fuel companies is the filtering process and the amount and type of impurities which lower the octaine level, in some cases these can do more damage to an engine then most things.

I think nobody buys the 92 RON "Regular" fuel here even though it is RM0.04/litre cheaper than the 97 RON "Premium" fuel (eg. Shell Super), except for some of those on cub bikes...

Our cars will still run on 92 RON.. the stock ECU is very clever (it's programmed that way)... by default (or after a full reset) it will go to the most optimised ignition/fuel map, then if it detects knocking (eg. due to lower octane rating fuel being used), it will fail to a secondary map (less agressive ignition timing, and richer fuel), and therefore a bit less power. In some ECUs, there could even be another map for a lower octane still... And finally after all these failovers and there still is knocking, it will fail to the worst case "limp home" super rich and super retarded ignition map... and by then some Check Engine error message or light will come on...

Dear Fuel Sifus,

Checked my manual, it say:

1. With or w/o Catalytic convertor equipped cars:
Unleaded premium fuel, minimum octane number 95 (RM).

2. W/O catalytic convertor:
Premium fuel, minimum octane number 98 (RM).

* Engine versions with knock control can also run on fuel with a minimum octane number of 91(RM); performance and fuel consumption are affected as result.

What is RM? RON + MON=RM?

May I know whose fuel is nearest to this requirment?

Thanks!

wan520i, RM should be RON... maybe the Germans says it differently... In this country there's only two grades of petrol, the 92 RON "regular" and 97 RON "premium"... Even Shell V-Power is rated at 97 RON, officially...

python_dev;243984 said:
Regular is a 92 octaine where as V-Power is a 97 Octaine
Octain Level relate to how well fuel burns, the higher octaine always means better engine burn and less carbon, as well as gives more power to the engine through better efficiency.
In theory you would get better milage, but with the new power there is a tendency to be a bit heavier on the foot :p
main difference in the different fuel companies is the filtering process and the amount and type of impurities which lower the octaine level, in some cases these can do more damage to an engine then most things.

LCP;243986 said:
I think nobody buys the 92 RON "Regular" fuel here even though it is RM0.04/litre cheaper than the 97 RON "Premium" fuel (eg. Shell Super), except for some of those on cub bikes...

Our cars will still run on 92 RON.. the stock ECU is very clever (it's programmed that way)... by default (or after a full reset) it will go to the most optimised ignition/fuel map, then if it detects knocking (eg. due to lower octane rating fuel being used), it will fail to a secondary map (less agressive ignition timing, and richer fuel), and therefore a bit less power. In some ECUs, there could even be another map for a lower octane still... And finally after all these failovers and there still is knocking, it will fail to the worst case "limp home" super rich and super retarded ignition map... and by then some Check Engine error message or light will come on...

Thanks heaps bros phyton n LCP for shedding some light on this matter....
Have just refueled my tank with VPower to give it a try..but it cost me n extra RM15 :40:

I'm using Shell for a quite while now. So far so good. Better mileage. And my car accelerate quite smooth compare when i'm using Petronas(a bit sluggish). I'm satisfied wif Shell. :top:

I've been on VPower since i got my 520i and have "ping-ing" all the while especially on hard acceleration.

Now, I've changed to Caltex, no more ping. Caltex performs very well, similar to vpower, smooth acceleration. Caltex for me now.

Mobil also no more ping but slightly sluggish compared to caltex and vpower.

I used to use petronas and always thought there was something wrong with my car in terms of performance. Once I switched to shell/caltex, the car felt more responsive. So no more petronas for me.

Top Bottom