Upsizing to 19inch non RFT

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kuntakinte

Club Guest
Guys, been contemplating this upgrade over the puny 17inch which looks way out of place in a 5er.

Will probably be choosing non Rft as it is said to be as, if not more, comfortable on a 19inch than a 17 inch rft

Anyone here done this upgrade? How much was the ride quality compromised, if indeed it was? Also, any good tyre choices besides obviously the best of the best, Michelin PSS?

doesn't a bigger wheel weigh more and reduce a little bit of acceleration... :smile: but certainly a plus in form over function. :D

Swapped my brand new rims to the 19", using RFT, no issues, the car handles like a dream! :)

DesertGoon said:
doesn't a bigger wheel weigh more and reduce a little bit of acceleration... :smile: but certainly a plus in form over function. :D
Firstly, won't be considering any Taiwan replicas. Secondly, I don't do jack rabbit starts and thirdly, with 380nm torque at disposal, any acceleration lag should be bearable

bmwjunkie said:
Swapped my brand new rims to the 19", using RFT, no issues, the car handles like a dream! :)
Handling should be much better definitely but how much comfort is compromised? Sat in a car with 19incher rft and I have to say the ride is rather bone jarring

i guess forged lightweight alloy wheels should be fine but they are undoubtly quite co$tly. btw wider wheels will have a bigger surface area so during rain or on wet roads you may need to be more cautious to water spots and aquaplaning. :stupid:

DesertGoon said:
i guess forged lightweight alloy wheels should be fine but they are undoubtly quite co$tly. btw wider wheels will have a bigger surface area so during rain or on wet roads you may need to be more cautious to water spots and aquaplaning. :stupid:
No leh, forged wheels above budget. Looking at some BBS kelleners or ssr

Sharing my opinion:

1) I would get lightweight rims, yet strong enough to handle our malaysian pot holes - BBS or BC Forged would be good
2) Lightweight so as to reduce the rotational mass that will affect your car's performance, especially from stationary/low speed take offs (it doesn't matter if I have 1000Nm of torque but still I would like to retain every bit of that rather than lost it from the previous setup)
3) Handling would be better on a 19" given that the offsets are slightly more outwards than the previous setup. RFTs will also improve the handling due to the stiffer sidewalls
4) More prone to aqua-planing if wider rims+tyres are used, e.g 9.5jj or 10jj
5) 17"+RFT vs 19"+non RFT would be more less the same ride comfort I would say, but with 19" car looks much nicer but slightly higher risk of damaging the rims as the tyres are thinner to protect them...but it's really not that bad...

I have never used anything lower than 19" rims on all my current n previous rides...so far so good touchwood...just always need to keep a sharp eye on the road conditions and carry a tyre sealant kit (or a spare tyre kit) in the boot when travelling....my verdict, I would go for the 19" upgrade

The thought of changing my 19s to RFT did occur too...

Any recommended brands/models? Estimated prices would be great too :)

The tyre sizes for 19inch staggered is F 245/40/19 and Rear 275/35/19

The top rated tyre is obviously Michelin PSS

The usual recommendations are Dunlop Sportmaxx for mid range pricing and Nexen N8000 for economy pricing. The price of the nexens are just about 50-60% of the PSS

Anyone with experience with these non RFT tyres and your opinion?

kuntakinte said:
The tyre sizes for 19inch staggered is F 245/40/19 and Rear 275/35/19

The top rated tyre is obviously Michelin PSS

The usual recommendations are Dunlop Sportmaxx for mid range pricing and Nexen N8000 for economy pricing. The price of the nexens are just about 50-60% of the PSS

Anyone with experience with these non RFT tyres and your opinion?
I have used the N8000 on 19" rims. Cheap and good but don't expect it to perform like the PSS. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. N8000 first 40% is very grippy and after that grip tends to wear off and it becomes noisy. Mine lasted around 30,000km which included 1 track day

Cool.... am planning that too... any recommended shop and location to go? Original rims but at reasonable pricing... tq

Just went to Auto Future Design in Damansara Uptown earlier today... They carry Kellener, Vorsteiner and BBS rims.. Rest assured that all brands are original but price-wise don't expect to be cheap la.. You get what you give. I enquired on BBS 19" for my 997 Carrera S and was quoted 11k. After asking another reseller.. Price almost the same but hey.. It's our money and don't forget to bargain should you decide to go for it...
BBS is very lightweight but in terms of tyre, I didn't go for RFT as the ride was too bumpy to my liking. Of course it's very safe in case of puncture but I took my chances.

Top Bottom