Type of modification on your E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
hi Alvin,
Well I tried to ask for a ride in his car.... he was planning to take me for a ride when a new customer walk in... I got to leave anyway so probably next time. He was telling me bout an ECU upgrade or flash... well really haven't got a clue what is he talking bout though... too technical.... he was talking bout 20hp more for rm2800. got to leave the car there for 2-3days... jus wonder if the cost justify the dollar per horsepower...

I understand from a friend who used to work with Motec... he mentioned that there is no why you can alter the ECU for BMW E90... the systems is so bloodly clever that it will reset itself to factory setting whenever it sense something is not right such as if your air/fuel ratio is not right or not at it factory setting.... Well don't who right or wrong got to do it in order to find out... But at the same times it quite expensive to find out though... gonna cost RM2800 to find out.....

20hp from an ECU remap on an already well tuned N/A engine sounds too good to be true :burnout:.

Beemers3, you were in MeinAuto's KW V2's + 20' wheel combo in our last meetup. The ride is certainly better than my stock setup.

However, MeinAuto mentioned that the RFTs was the main culprit to blame as when he was on JPB's rims and RFT tyres and KWs it was still not very comfy till he switched out to non- RFTs and 20's.

I was told by Bernard of BVO who came last month to do the ECU Flash remap. According to him, there would not be any issue or worries about the warranty issue as the ECU Flash remap is 100% tested and working and the dealer would not be able to detect such remap on the ECU.

It's been done on E90s in Singapore. It is different as compared to superchips where we will have to put in the chip where warranty may be void, the ECU Flash remap basically changes the car program in the ECU adapted from the car original program.

If we feel that we want the program reverted back to the original state, it can be done so too. The program basically unlocks the potential of the car's ability. However he is saying that the ECU Flash remap will give an additional of 8hp to 12hp and 30NM to 50NM torque. But according to Simon of Obermaier, his ECU Flash remap will provide an additional 25hp to 30hp.

So.... I still dunno which to go with. Price wise both are almost the same. Normally we would need to do a dyno on our car before we do the ECU Flash remap. This will enable to give us better info on the difference on before and after.

David Yong;236014 said:
I was told by Bernard of BVO who came last month to do the ECU Flash remap. According to him, there would not be any issue or worries about the warranty issue as the ECU Flash remap is 100% tested and working and the dealer would not be able to detect such remap on the ECU.

It's been done on E90s in Singapore. It is different as compared to superchips where we will have to put in the chip where warranty may be void, the ECU Flash remap basically changes the car program in the ECU adapted from the car original program.

If we feel that we want the program reverted back to the original state, it can be done so too. The program basically unlocks the potential of the car's ability. However he is saying that the ECU Flash remap will give an additional of 8hp to 12hp and 30NM to 50NM torque. But according to Simon of Obermaier, his ECU Flash remap will provide an additional 25hp to 30hp.

So.... I still dunno which to go with. Price wise both are almost the same. Normally we would need to do a dyno on our car before we do the ECU Flash remap. This will enable to give us better info on the difference on before and after.

Doesnt the procede act in the same way. Remapping the original configuration of the ecu?
Simon mentioned remapping for the 320i as well. But i think the increase will be significantly lower.......

hi E46Fanatics,
yup I find Meinauto ride very comfy too. but having to imagine running 20" is like nightmare to me.... I live in BP where potholes is more than the pebble on the beach.... everyday i need to slalom my way to the office and back home even in my perdana.....

I feel BVO that DY mentioned seems more realistic figure. 25-30 HP on N/A cars is very hard to achieve. I wouldn't want to imagine how much engine works need to be done in order to achieve those figure let alone jus a ECU Remap... Well unless Simon say if you don't achieve those figure on the dyno then he will rebate you the money, then i would say it worth considering..

For your info, Bernard of BVO just need less than a day to get the ECU remap done (I guess only few hours). His price is SGD 1,500. Price is higher than Simon by few hundreds. But Simon would require the car to be left there for 3 to 4 days for the ECU remap.

Bimmer910;236024 said:
Doesnt the procede act in the same way. Remapping the original configuration of the ecu?
Simon mentioned remapping for the 320i as well. But i think the increase will be significantly lower.......

Procede mod on the 335i not just does the remap, but also up's the boost pressure :). Hence the ~75hp gain by the simple piggyback mod.

Bimmer910;236024 said:

Nope. Procede is a piggy back. It does not remap the ECU but instead on certain parameters eg boost, AFR, etc, provides alternate values for the ECU. Simplistically, it tricks the ECU

Sad news for those waiting on the M-Tech kits from Stuttgart :(

Ivan called and informed that there will be a delay (again!) due to a backorder. ETA is now early September 2007.

meinauto;236118 said:
Nope. Procede is a piggy back. It does not remap the ECU but instead on certain parameters eg boost, AFR, etc, provides alternate values for the ECU. Simplistically, it tricks the ECU

I dont profess to know too much about ECUs, so i did a little reading. Heres what i got off the net :

ECU-remapping generally is reprogramming the “brain“ of the car for better performance.

As car manufacturers have to consider many different conditions and factors like temperature, air pressure, fuel quality (not every country has high octane fuel), the programming of the ecu software often is a compromise between performance and street legality in all countires..
Also the software is made to make the car run even under “unreal” conditions, that normally will never occur.

These factors still leave the possibility to optimize the factory setup. This is where ecu-remapping comes in.

For doing this improvement, the ECU of your car need to be reprogrammed / modified.

Petrol (Naturally Aspirated):Remapping a petrol engine ECU will produce 10 - 15% BHP depending on exact specification, the engine will also be more responsive on initial acceleration and produce more torque (up to 20%) through out the entire rev range, giving more response on lighter throttle.

Petrol (Turbo):Remapping a petrol turbo engine ECU can produce 20 - 30% BHP.

There are different ways to do this:
- OBD-programming
Many new cars offer the possibility to read and write the complete ECU data via the diagnosis connector of the car. The advantage of this method is that the ECU can stay inside the car and needs not to be opened.

- direct programming of the chip (eprom) in the ECU
The eprom must be desoldered from the circuit board. Then it will be erased and reprogrammed with the modified and optimized data. For some older cars, the eprom can not be erased and has to be replaced with a new (eprom programming is done for example with the BeeProg)

- serial programmingThe ECU must be removed from the car and is programmed by special spring contacts without soldering on the circuit board. This method is used for example if a car has no connection from the OBD connector to the ECU or for very new ECU versions.

Cheers

beemers3;236093 said:
I feel BVO that DY mentioned seems more realistic figure. 25-30 HP on N/A cars is very hard to achieve. I wouldn't want to imagine how much engine works need to be done in order to achieve those figure let alone jus a ECU Remap... Well unless Simon say if you don't achieve those figure on the dyno then he will rebate you the money, then i would say it worth considering..

From what i've read on other posts, they gain of 20-25BHP on the 320d version with the remap is normal. So i dont see why it shouldnt be achiveable on a 325i or a 320i for that matter.

Not all remaps are the same after all...

Bimmer910;236187 said:
From what i've read on other posts, they gain of 20-25BHP on the 320d version with the remap is normal. So i dont see why it shouldnt be achiveable on a 325i or a 320i for that matter.

Not all remaps are the same after all...

Aren't the BMW diesels turbo diesels? I think the 325i and 320 are naturally aspirated and quite decently tuned in terms of software mapping. The new BMW DI 4 potter is pushing 170hp that with really high tech injectors and precision injection into the combustion chambers...

Agree,

Remapping a turbo engine to gain 20-30 bhp sounds feasible, but on NA hmmm not sure. But before you guys go do remapping have a word with DY about our Mag/Alloy engine. You might want to think twice b4 messing around.

E46Fanatic;236188 said:
Aren't the BMW diesels turbo diesels? I think the 325i and 320 are naturally aspirated and quite decently tuned in terms of software mapping. The new BMW DI 4 potter is pushing 170hp that with really high tech injectors and precision injection into the combustion chambers...

Quite right about the 320d. It stands at 163hp.

From what ive gathered, most of the 325 owners get nowhere more than 23hp inrease, which would be tween 8-11% increase in horse, and 20% torque??

Not many reviews on the 320i remap though. Hoping someone can shed some light on it.....

For N/A chipping alone won't yeild significant HP and Torque gains more so for engines already producing high HP/Ltr ratios (i.e. they are already quite efficient). Once you start playing with bolt on mods, like intake, catback exhaust, etc then a custom map which is tuned for the new bolt on mods might yield a slightly higher % of gains.

I think a good performance potential gauge for the BMW 2.0 4 pot N42 engine would be what BMW has done with its successor. Essentially the same unit except the Valvetronic head is repalced with HPI, Siemens precision injectors, with new ECU management etc. Don't know if BMW went and optimized things like headers, intake, exhaust as well, but the new engine puts out 15 more hp than the predecessor with all the R&D and technology put in. So... unlikely that a simple ECU map on the 2.0 N42 valvetronic will yeild the same amount of gains as what all these German engineers painstakingly went through resulting with the additional 15 hp gain heh.

Top Bottom