Type of modification on your E90

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
David,

Agree, tat doesn't sound attractive at all. Don't let AB of so easily (which I am sure you won't). Sent my car in last week to AB HQ, they washed my car and left scratch marks all over the front bonnet. Went back got them to try and polish it out, did help but there are still marks. I am not a happy!

When we meet up, will share with the rest why i had to send in my car for rectification :(

Well actually if it were me, I would consider a small top-up to get the Sports ;)

Try to negotiate for a lower differential. In my S80 case, they replaced the whole dash once at a cost to them of something like 30k, but there was still a problem. I wrote one fiery letter to VCM, cc to the Chairman of Volvo Sweden. The offer to change the car at no financial loss to me came immediately. :D Better than another 30k loss to replace the dash again, with no guarantee of success I suppose.

Get nasty David ;)

I'm heated up already and will do whatever it takes to get them to solve this matter for me!

45k more for the 2007 model sports.. Not bad leh. If you can squeeze it down to 35-40k.. better still!!

Anyway, I got a call this morning from my co-driver I metup during the driver training. Says he was at AB Sg Besi, and saw the Driver training cars going through replacement for a fresh set of tyres He inquired about the price of the car and his saleslady said that they are selling off the BMW Driver training cars which we were driving. RM235k for a 2007 E90 325i, with about 200kms on the ODO. 50+k discount, for a hard 200+ km early life start of the car, but full warranty etc. No bad la.

megatnh;225307 said:
bimmer910
if you are using the sport steering , u only need to change the steering. However , if u dont have the sport steering u need to get the complete package i.e steering, airbag and panel cover. Apparently, the latter will cost more

mega,
does the steering come with paddle shift ? My steering is the basic model found on 320i CBU germany. What did the M-sport steering cost you ?

Cheers

E46Fanatic;225769 said:
45k more for the 2007 model sports.. Not bad leh. If you can squeeze it down to 35-40k.. better still!!

Anyway, I got a call this morning from my co-driver I metup during the driver training. Says he was at AB Sg Besi, and saw the Driver training cars going through replacement for a fresh set of tyres He inquired about the price of the car and his saleslady said that they are selling off the BMW Driver training cars which we were driving. RM235k for a 2007 E90 325i, with about 200kms on the ODO. 50+k discount, for a hard 200+ km early life start of the car, but full warranty etc. No bad la.

45k more for a 2007 Sports...I agree an interesting deal in exchange for a 1 1/2 year old car. And David has the leverage to bring that differential down too. ;)

50k less for the Driver Training cars...no thanks since I know you've ridden them...HARD. I'd still pay the 50k for a virginal car, unmolested by you. :rolleyes:

Schwepps;225807 said:
50k less for the Driver Training cars...no thanks since I know you've ridden them...HARD. I'd still pay the 50k for a virginal car, unmolested by you. :rolleyes:

I can't say if it was as good for the car as it was for me :). Seriously tho, the economic model doesn't add up. BMW Malaysia takes a RM50K hit on each car say after 3-4 training sessions??!! Each training session per participant is Rm1,500 which includes, venue, food, tyres, instructors etc, 2 drivers per car, say RM3k per session per car revenue. 4 sessions (~200 kms) = RM12k revenue only per car.

I guess as the news paper article says, its not a for profit thingy this BMW driver training thing.

Hmm....

Agree that something doesn't add up. The right model would be to dedicate these cars for training, let them be completely abused, and then put them out to pasture as courtesy cars for workshop customers and F1 team members when the circus is in town.

E46F, I hereby nominate you to get to the bottom of this. I mean you've had your fun with them, it's the least you can do! :D

Schwepps;225807 said:
45k more for a 2007 Sports...I agree an interesting deal in exchange for a 1 1/2 year old car. And David has the leverage to bring that differential down too. ;)

QUOTE]

My car is only 10 months old on the road and I have paid RM 110k for the downpayment plus other modifications which cost about few thousand bucks plus 10 months of installments and now they are asking me to pay another RM 45k for a slight upgrade to sports model.... hmmmm.... for me it is definitely not a good deal at all. On top of the top up of RM 45k, I need to pay additional 10 months installments and higher monthly installment amount...... hmmmmm... again it is definitely not a good deal at all!!

Our friend Macheet got a totally new engine which cost RM 43k and is happily driving it his car now. He dun even have to come out with a single cent to get a new engine but of course old body (maybe 1 year old & that's all). Why do I need to spend initial downpayment of RM 110k plus now another RM 45k total of RM 155k to just buy an E90 325i Sports ??? To me, it doesn't make sense at all. How can they guarantee the next car is problem free or this problem won't happen and if it happen, again I need to come out with another RM 45k ???

Unless they are saying that I have to put in another RM 16k which is the price difference between Standard & Sports model in order to get a new sports model, then it is worth doing it but RM 45k..... a no-no for me.

Agree with you David. Sorry somehow I thought you were one of the early E90 owners. :eek:

They obviously know something is out if they want to suggest buying a new car to you. Insist on an engine change like Macheet. And good luck.

Schwepps;225945 said:
They obviously know something is out if they want to suggest buying a new car to you.

Not really because it was the salesperson who called me to "offer" me this buying a new car solution instead of waiting for BMW Malaysia reply. Upon hearing this, I took this up with the technical/service department, they were surprised to hear this "offer". According to them (Vijay, the service manager) this is not the right procedure and they will talk to Kenny (the sales manager) for offering such solution.

I posed them a question; "What is the use of warranty when I have to pay RM 45k to get a new car when my car having faulty ?"..... All of them speechless.

Anyway, they replied me this afternoon;

Quote-

Dear David,

I have made arrangements with BMW Msia regarding your car and we need a special equipment for checking the inside of the engine called scope machine.

Once I have the exact date I will contact u, only half a day.

Regards

Unquote-

Been away on business for a while, and I am somewhat shocked that your problem has not been rectified by AB yet David. Looks like AB will never improve their customer service levels :(

David, did they give any indication on how long it would take to resolve this issue? Are other E90s facing the same problem?

Good point David. The new car proposal should be treated as just an additional option for you, not as the solution to your problems! BMW Malaysia should honor the warranty and solve the engine issue you faced.

Do keep us updated on their findings and resolution. I'd be curious to know if newer N52's have different updated components which resolves this problem that you and Macheet faced. Seems to affect both CKD (2006) and CBU (2005) E90 325i's so far.

E46Fanatic;226032 said:
Do keep us updated on their findings and resolution. I'd be curious to know if newer N52's have different updated components which resolves this problem that you and Macheet faced. Seems to affect both CKD (2006) and CBU (2005) E90 325i's so far.

Funny that the 320's dont seem to have this problem. I noticed that david posted irregular oil burn and very high km/l readings. Could this have anything to do with the cylinders ?

Bimmer910;226057 said:
Funny that the 320's dont seem to have this problem. I noticed that david posted irregular oil burn and very high km/l readings. Could this have anything to do with the cylinders ?

Don't say that so soon! ;) Not irregular oil burn, just ridiculously high.

In Macheet's case they didn't say what happened and just shipped the old engine off, but Macheet suspected piston ring blow-by. This kind of problem can be due to a number of things, but in the absence of an oil leak and coupled with high fuel consumption, compression loss in one or more cylinders caused by blow-by would be the first suspicion. Apart from wasted oil and fuel, this would foul up everything south of the cylinders. How it can happen in a brand new engine is a mystery. :confused:

Schwepps;226070 said:
Don't say that so soon! ;) Not irregular oil burn, just ridiculously high.

In Macheet's case they didn't say what happened and just shipped the old engine off, but Macheet suspected piston ring blow-by. This kind of problem can be due to a number of things, but in the absence of an oil leak and coupled with high fuel consumption, compression loss in one or more cylinders caused by blow-by would be the first suspicion. Apart from wasted oil and fuel, this would foul up everything south of the cylinders. How it can happen in a brand new engine is a mystery. :confused:

There should be tell tale signs if this was happening. With the amount of oil loss, you should be seeing a lot of smoke out from the tailpipes, and carbon residue around your rear bumper etc. Perhaps even oily tailpipes..

Any such symptoms David?

The N42 has been around for donkey years so hopefully they would have ironed out all the gremlins in the 4-potter. *pray*

Yes, there should be some physical signs of the engine burning off engine oil since they are no evidence of engine oil leak.

bmwjunkie;226031 said:
David, did they give any indication on how long it would take to resolve this issue? Are other E90s facing the same problem?

AB told me the scope machine to do the scoping for my engine is in Penang now and they are arranging it to be sent to KL to check my car. They can't promise me when but will keep me updated :(

E46Fanatic;226117 said:
There should be tell tale signs if this was happening. With the amount of oil loss, you should be seeing a lot of smoke out from the tailpipes, and carbon residue around your rear bumper etc. Perhaps even oily tailpipes..

Any such symptoms David?

No symptoms at all except for every 3,200km travelled, the indicator will light up indicating to top up 1 liter of oil. During the physical oil check done by them, my car consume 0.25 liter per 1,000km travelled. According to them normally it will consume only 0.15 liter per 1,000km travelled.

Hmmm... very strange larr.... I dun feel any lost of power, no sign of oil leak, no carbon residue around my rear bumper or exhaust tip, not much of white smoke out or even oily exhaust tip.

Everything is just fine with my car. I dun feel something wrong when driving around but it is just that the FC is a high and need to top up oil at every 3,200km!

Top Bottom