Track Driving

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I'm not an expert in track driving, neither have I driven a BMW on the sepang racing circuit, but I think making good setup lines using the whole width of the track helps. Good setup lines give you good lap times, and gives you a smoother drive. :D

I also heard from my instructor that balancing the car is pretty much the basics of track driving ie. controlling weight transfer using throttle, brakes and steering. Applying the brakes while decelerating shifts weight to the front of the car, and that can make the car oversteer when you stay on the brakes for too long and also when you approach a corner at to fast a speed. :p

Deceleration does the opposite and shifts weight to the rear of the car. Using the appropriate gear for every bend also really helps me increase my lap time. Sometimes much quicker cars from behind can also spoil the lap times as some of them are inconsiderate and over take you also in corners while you're tring to better of your laptime instead of doing it only on the straights. :eek:

For the 90 degree right handers. I always try to brake smoothly, to achieve that I usually step on the brake pedals gently, then pointing the nose to the right as much as possible, steer into the corners and then keep adjusting the steering for a good setup line repeatedly for a few laps. I always try to increase my speed as much as I can to improve the laptimes. :D

I do quite the same thing for sharp hairpin turns, but I always brake much earlier to eliminate the need to stomp hard on the brakes unless I'm doing an overtaking manouver, some of these require you to brake real late. And then back on the gas pedal, and trying not to do full on at once as the supercharger might make the car spin out of the track.

I wonder how it feels like to drive a BMW V8 or V12 on the track, must be such a rocketship to drive. Anyone with an 840Csi/850Csi who would like to share

Can't wait to get back on the race track again.

Would anyone with high kw cars like to share?

I would differ to drive slightly differently... I would really drive abit like Reihen, braking a bit earlier and more gently rather then just last min very late braking and just STOMP onto the brakes. I do brake as hard as possible but not just stomp onto it last min risking wheel lock up or not slowing enough into the corner causing massive understeer and upsetting the balance of the car.

In my opinion, driving it smoothly may feel slow but it is not.. If you take the timing of our local racers on the same car, chances are that the smoother driver are consistently lapping a fast time compared to the more aggressive driver who always brake late.

Another friend of mine told me for a road car, nothing really can out brake a Lotus Elise in Sepang.. Most of the Lotus owners all can brake at 50m due to the very light weight of the aluminium chassis of the Elise.

Just my 2 cents...

Just thought of sharing with the below driving courses that i have taken which may of benefit to the members. The course i have taken was Advanced Defensive Driving Course (DDC) in Jan 05 and Advanced Driving Course (ADC) in Feb 06.

Both course were taken with my sifu, Kenvin Low of Asia Advanced Driving Academy S/B.

This courses i find really improve our driving skill, technique and road awareness. More details can be found on their web www.aadasb.com

Hope this may help some members here.. :yes:

i'm no expert, still learning.. :D i think there are two main types of occasional trackies..

one being those fairly well-mannered drivers who wud go to explore the potential and limits of their car, without exceeding them, safely.. after a few sessions, they wud either enjoy it and continue to participate future trackdays, and upgrade the car, ie suspension, ss lines, tyres, etc.. or they wud just cant be bothered as they see there's no point to it! they'd most likely conclude that it's not worth to throw the car around just for the sake of it..

the other group is those who are already very confortable with spirited driving, on normal roads.. these are generally those people who love to drive relatively fast, and wud like to go faster.. they think they are exploiting the potential and limits of their cars on the track.. and wud undertake more serious mods ie engine internals, seats, bbk, coolers, lighten parts etc.. after a while, they'd also realise there's no point to it, and either get a faster car, or a cheaper one and mod them like there's no tomorrow.. hehe

just my observation.. B)

Originally posted by adliz@Apr 27 2006, 11:00 PM
i'm no expert, still learning.. :D i think there are two main types of occasional trackies..

one being those fairly well-mannered drivers who wud go to explore the potential and limits of their car, without exceeding them, safely.. after a few sessions, they wud either enjoy it and continue to participate future trackdays, and upgrade the car, ie suspension, ss lines, tyres, etc.. or they wud just cant be bothered as they see there's no point to it! they'd most likely conclude that it's not worth to throw the car around just for the sake of it..

the other group is those who are already very confortable with spirited driving, on normal roads.. these are generally those people who love to drive relatively fast, and wud like to go faster.. they think they are exploiting the potential and limits of their cars on the track.. and wud undertake more serious mods ie engine internals, seats, bbk, coolers, lighten parts etc.. after a while, they'd also realise there's no point to it, and either get a faster car, or a cheaper one and mod them like there's no tomorrow.. hehe

just my observation.. B)
me which type..??? :D

Originally posted by KennyG@Apr 27 2006, 10:34 AM
Can't wait for the next HPC event.
Don't need to wait for HPC event, just attend any of the open track day on Sunday will do.
30th April, 06 will be next track day.

Anyone joining.
Anyway I'll be there at night session on 29th April, 06. 8pm -11pm....
YES..it's night session. :D but I'll drive JDM lar.

Originally posted by The Necessary@Apr 28 2006, 01:46 AM
The open track days are rather scary... don't you think?
Not really and I like the challenge. (Driving track car :D )
But it a little bit scary when you take the corner entry with a few fully modded track car.
If the traffic is not that heavy, open track day will be ok as well. It's pretty much depend on the traffic on that day.
tips to predict the traffic during open track day.

If there are 2-3 session trackday for that particular month, choose to go at the end of the month session. If there is only single open track session for that month, avoid it, definately will be heavy traffic.

Beside that, you can choose to go out from the pit after those bunch of 1st batch car go off. That will give you extra buffer and space between those aggresive driver. You you spin off the track, at least you still have time to get back in the track or there are some extra time for those marshall to give warning flag.

Oh yeah, if I had a dedicated track car, I wouldn't hesitate to attend the open track days. Some of the drivers can be incredibly aggressive and ungentlemanly; and when you're pitting your everyday driver agaisnt those track day specials, you know you'll be backing off and not enjoying the session.

Originally posted by The Necessary@Apr 28 2006, 02:02 AM
Oh yeah, if I had a dedicated track car, I wouldn't hesitate to attend the open track days. Some of the drivers can be incredibly aggressive and ungentlemanly; and when you're pitting your everyday driver agaisnt those track day specials, you know you'll be backing off and not enjoying the session.
Agreed!!!!! :yes!:

Interesting topic. My previous car ( E34 M20 B20 ) have gone into Sepang F1 track for several times and managed to record a video.

Frankly speaking, it a slow car :)...cannot catch up even with race prep Perodua Kelisa....

URL : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvS1_rRPkpU

Now driving stock SAGA and thinking of E36 for my next ride ....

FYI :
On 29th April 2006, SIC will conduct a Night Track Day Session for RM150, please consult the SIC guys for confirmation.

Top Bottom