Track Driving

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Reihen6Power

Club Guest
Hey ThereTrack Driving has become incresingly popular among car enthusiasts these daysWould anyone like to share of their experience about driving their 3er on the race track? :nyehehe: R6Power

For fun, any car will do as long as you go to track with the right attitude.

For racing or if you don't like to see your car being overtaken, the only 3er you wanna bring to track must either be an "M" or the race prepped version :wink:

Also, Zoggee drove the E36 328i manual on Sepang, and his buddy the rally driver drove it too. Both have different opinions on the car's handling. Stock E36 supposed to understeer, but not according to the rally driver, he says too much oversteer!!!! :dunno:

Zoggee, how?

The only cars I've driven on the race track are my dads BMW, and the Ford Falcon racecars (5.4 liter V8 and about $200 for the day) but that aside for now, he lent it to me for the day to check it out, by the way it has the upgraded koni adjustible shocks (has been tuned for comfort). But it still makes a difference as oppossed to the to the M-Tech suspension.

Acceleration is quick, everything about the BMW is so immediate and it surely has soul. Have put the car on the dyno before and it makes about 100 kw from the rear wheels, don't know how much it gives of at the crank, about 180+ kw maybe?

The car is quick on the race track. Supercharger does most of the job . And the exhaust sounds lovely by the way it howls past redline (rev limiter removed). Can feel the plushness of the suspension but it handles well though. Turn in at the hairpin turn is a bit slow because of the steering ratio, so have to be really quick with my hands, the M3 have a quicker steering. But this thing out handles many stock JDMs. The bimmer is also quicker at the straights

Before you approach a bend like an S chicane, many people do the heel and toe technic (stepping on the clutch, brakes and accelerator at the same time to blip the throttle, have you guys practiced that while on the track?). The BMW however has an automatic transmission, so no chance of practicing that.

How do you guys tackle chicaness? Can u guys bring it up to speed so that braking is done while on the chicane and not before it? Also how do you guys feel about chicanes, especially to make good setup lines and keeping your foot on the gas before exiting to gain optimum speed? I'm sure the SMG gearbox in the M3 would do a lot better. Also have you guys tried drifting on the track (swerve left and then doing a powerslide)

Would love to hear from u guys.

R6Power

Originally posted by Reihen6Power@Apr 25 2006, 08:41 PM
Before you approach a bend, many people do the heel and toe technic (stepping on the clutch, brakes and accelerator at the same time to blip the throttle, have you guys practiced that while on the track?). The BMW however has an automatic transmission, so no chance of practicing that.
Dude... we do that on the streets! :p

Originally posted by Zoggee+Apr 25 2006, 09:43 PM-->QUOTE (Zoggee @ Apr 25 2006, 09:43 PM) aiya...why am I bring drag in this again. :( [/b]

Because you did this :

Originally posted by nikazwaa+Apr 25 2006, 11:18 PM-->QUOTE (nikazwaa @ Apr 25 2006, 11:18 PM)
Originally posted by Zoggee@Apr 25 2006, 09:43 PM
aiya...why am I bring drag in this again. :(
Because you did this :

Originally posted by iCe@Apr 25 2006, 08:22 PM
whts the diff of understeer and oversteer?i tot the same?
how can understeer and oversteer be the same???
different spelling lah....

Come for track day or autocross and u'll know the difference...

Originally posted by magicfox@Apr 25 2006, 10:10 PM

errr... I went for both autocross and track day.. and still don't know the difference.. :dunno: :dunno: :blush:
coz u drive like uncle. Why got people drive Sepang at 3,000rpm down the straights wan! Fabian is already at 6,000rpm in the pitlane!!!! Zoggee is doing 7,000rpm idling!!!! :rofl:

Originally posted by Reihen6Power@Apr 25 2006, 08:41 PM
How do you guys tackle chicaness? Can u guys bring it up to speed so that braking is done while on the chicane and not before it? Also how do you guys feel about chicanes, especially to make good setup lines and keeping your foot on the gas before exiting to gain optimum speed? I'm sure the SMG gearbox in the M3 would do a lot better. Also have you guys tried drifting on the track (swerve left and then doing a powerslide)
I guess its too vague to comment on this without seeing or knowing the track itself. Is the chicane a small little one to reduce speed? Or a longer, wider S curve type? In general, if you cant manage the change in direction at your current speed you would want to reduce (ie. brake) before entering the curve not while you are already in it.

For track guidance & karma - pls contact our Mr XXX!!!

Reihen6power - please make sure u come to the next track event.

I'm now living in NZ and have met up with some malaysian BMW enthusiasts (bro's friends), thats how I got the idea to do a search for this side.

It'll be nice to attend BMWs driver training programs when I come back to Malaysia for a vacation. :D

Do you guys have the drivers training contact details ie telephone no, address?

Happy Motoring

R6Power

Top Bottom