Suitable engine oil for E30??

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Rastabimmer

Club Guest
What brand & type of oil is good for E30?? What i always thought Castrol was a good choice for bmw bcoz its been recommended and stated on the engine cap & manual & in our header forum,... what effect to our engine if we change different type of engine oil that we used before... any advise...

any oil that says... 10w40, 20w50 or 10w60 also okay....

normal, semi-sync or fully... does not matter...

cheeers..

Start thin if you not familiar with the car. If you notice consuming oil, slowly move to thicker oil.

5w-40 is a good start, 10w-30 would be interesting.. :wink:

astroboy;445917 said:
Start thin if you not familiar with the car. If you notice consuming oil, slowly move to thicker oil.

AB,

Too thin lar 5w-40 for the older engines. If pristine condition engine ok....:top:

Maybe just overhaul le.. :p

I also haven't recommend 0w-30.. :p

If too thin, then u will notice oil loss or white smoke, then use thicker oil in the next change loo. Never try never know ma.. :wink:

If SAE40 is thin, then start with SAE50 loo.. 15w-50 is nice.. :wink:

I regulary use 10W-40 Castrol magnatec,engine smooth & pick up,for me it's stable to my old engine. I heard that old engine not good to use thin engine oil...any experience??

Rasta... that engine oil is one of the best ever for the M20 engines... the best of semi-sync nor too thin...

astroboy;445917 said:

kevster30;445924 said:
AB,

Too thin lar 5w-40 for the older engines. If pristine condition engine ok....:top:

Kev is right... we played too long with this engines... we know the the oil is too thin.. one day even can habis the oil in the sump..

how do i know ? :rolleyes:

The major difference between a new and old engine is the tolerance of inner engine parts.

Due to wear and tear, the internal engine parts tolerances have gone wider.

Thinner engine oil like 30 weight are good for newer engine with close tolerance parts...The oil travels faster and prevents burnout...Thicker oil is not preferred as there are possibility for the oil to be burned.

For older engines, thicker engine oil is preferred as the parts have been worn off. thicker oil buffers increased engine noise due to loose engine parts. The drawback is there are possibilities for the engine oil to be burned due to slower movement of oil versus high internal engine temperature.

Way forward would be to use thicker oil and change them earlier to prevent sludge build up.

Hope the above helps

pussy;446009 said:
Rasta... that engine oil is one of the best ever for the M20 engines... the best of semi-sync nor too thin...

Gracias pussy,will maintain this type for keep long journey of my m20.:top:

Bro. Last time i already RND With this...
I tired using:
- Castrol 10w40
- Mobile 10w40
-Penzoil 10w30
- etc....

To be honest... Now I'm using Q8 10W40... and IT ROCKS MAN!!!!!

Top Bottom