Stainless Steel Brake line Kit..

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by vinson@Jun 23 2006, 01:17 PM
I am using Pro RS on my merc too. So far so good after 3 years. No complaints. I believed they have improved their quality since their introduction. :D :yahoo:
ProRs vs Goodridge...

thanx guys for the all the input...

guess, i'll have to flip a coin then!

moderator, pls closed the thread.

roseadi auto parts used to be called 911 zentrum. They have changed names. My previous post also have mentioned that pro-rs is using same material if not same hoses as goodridge and maybe only the connectors/headers are different material/quality but as chris as pointed out this is also equally important in the brake setup and often overlooked as most tend to just focus on the hoses itself and often the failure/leaks appears at the connecting parts/connectors instead of the hose itself.

Originally posted by vinson@Jun 23 2006, 01:17 PM
I am using Pro RS on my merc too. So far so good after 3 years. No complaints. I believed they have improved their quality since their introduction. :D :yahoo:
that means it'll all come down to lifespan......???

but how does one compromise on safety with a diff of few hundred bucks on our udms?

if the ProRs is still weak @ the connections, y would'nt there be anyone posting their bad experience here?

or is there anyone care to share a light on this? btw, what's the average lifespan on these stainless steel brake kit anyway?

QUOTE (vinson @ Jun 23 2006, 01:17 PM)
I am using Pro RS on my merc too. So far so good after 3 years. No complaints. I believed they have improved their quality since their introduction.

that means it'll all come down to lifespan......???

but how does one compromise on safety with a diff of few hundred bucks on our udms?

if the ProRs is still weak @ the connections, y would'nt there be anyone posting their bad experience here?

or is there anyone care to share a light on this? btw, what's the average lifespan on these stainless steel brake kit anyway?

I guess the lifespan is important. Regardless of braided or rubber, brake hoses wears out. I am using Pro RS on the Merc and Goodridge on the BMW. The reason I changed it was because I had a near accident when the brakes on my Volvo failed. Ever since then, brake hoses will be one of my first few modification. Apparently an expert on rubber hoses said that the braided steel hoses prevents rubber from being exposed to harsh conditions and maintains the elasticity. Thus, enabling it to last longer. :yahoo:

Regardless of brands of brake hoses...always ensure that there is a warranty. All good brands of braided brake hoses comes with a warranty. :yahoo:

I have friends using Pro RS too and so far no complaints. 2 years warranty (if installed on your own) or 3 years warranty if installed there. Looking at the warraanty I guess that the braided hoses should last a min of 3-5 years. :yahoo:

ok...

now we r on warranty issues...

Pro-Rs : 2 years warranty (if installed on your own) or 3 years warranty if installed there. somemore free brake fluid + flushing!

Goodridge :????

If stainless steel brake kit lifespan approx 3-5yrs, then y my original rubber hose on my ride since year 2000 is still doing fine after all this years?

no sponginess feel yet...though :huh:

Originally posted by NKTOB@Jun 23 2006, 05:27 PM
ok...

now we r on warranty issues...

Pro-Rs : 2 years warranty (if installed on your own) or 3 years warranty if installed there. somemore free brake fluid + flushing!

Goodridge :????

If stainless steel brake kit lifespan approx 3-5yrs, then y my original rubber hose on my ride since year 2000 is still doing fine after all this years?

no sponginess feel yet...though :huh:
Goodridge: Lifetime Warranty from UK. In Malaysia is a one to one swap if Goodridge hose has manufacture defect in the 1st year.

If u can try looking for Castrol SRF. They are DOT 4 but have very high wet boiling point. It has a dry boiling point of 310 C and a wet boiling point of 270 C according to a a web site i got it from. Motul Racing Brake Fluid 600 also DOT 4 has very high boiling point(dry 312 C and wet 216 C. Weird is that DOT 5.1 (dry 265 C and wet 165 C) by Motul has lower boiling point then the DOT 4 version. :dunno:

Originally posted by M30@Jun 28 2006, 08:25 PM
If u can try looking for Castrol SRF. They are DOT 4 but have very high wet boiling point. It has a dry boiling point of 310 C and a wet boiling point of 270 C according to a a web site i got it from. Motul Racing Brake Fluid 600 also DOT 4 has very high boiling point(dry 312 C and wet 216 C. Weird is that DOT 5.1 (dry 265 C and wet 165 C) by Motul has lower boiling point then the DOT 4 version. :dunno:
Brake Fluid has many types from Dot 3, Dot 4, Dot 5.1, Dot 4 Racing and Dot 5 (silicon based). I believe Dot 5 is not recommended for our UDM and most Jap cars.

Dot 4 Racing Brake fluid are actually much higher performance compared to regular Dot 4 or Dot 5.1. But these Dot 4 racing tends to be more hydro-scopic means they absorb moisture more than a regular dot 4 or 5.1. The dot 4 racing grade will normally need more frequent flushing to keep it in optimum performance.

Castrol SRF is one of the best Racing Dot 4 brake fluid and if i not wrong they still holds the highest boiling point! But being one of the best it comes with one of the best price too. :p WRC motorsports used them in their rally cars and they sell the Castrol SRF in a liter bottle for a cool RM450! If you guys really want such a hardcore brake fluid, i will have source of them in late July and they should be about RM360 a liter bottle.

Most Malaysian Dot 4 brake fluids incl brands like Castrol or Shell or Caltex should have dry boiling point of about 240'c.

Another more affordable alternative is the EBC Dot 4 which is 260'c dry boiling, made in uk and only going for RM13.50/250ml bottle making it only RM27 for half liter.

Want better performance then the EBC Dot 4 Racing which is min 307'c dry boiling point at a mere RM60/half liter bottle.

My suggestion is, what ever brand you buy, make sure its some reputable brand like EBC, Motul, Shell or Castrol and choose a minimum Dot 4 rating (stay away from Dot 3) and flush it annually to keep your braking system in optimum performance and safety. If you go track, flush twice yearly. Brake fluid is a very cheap insurance to give you that peace of mind. Especially the UDM is already quite expensive to maintain, additional RM50-60 a year extra for brake fluid is very little compared to our other maintaince. :D

Top Bottom