Should I get a BMW or Audi?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
That depends on which property u bought as not all types get a good rental yield. Btw, anyone wants to rent bungalow, pm me ya

ck318ci;687967 said:
I think you should just call him Bro Wobble instead. He is in his prime age now...

Hhahaha..

Whatever it is, the final line is buy a car that you like.
Go test drive as much as you like and shouldnt be pressurised about enquiring or doing the actual test drive.
After all, you are paying hard earned cash for the car.

If the sale attendant give you a " niao" look. then can forget giving the business to him/ her...
( Thats what happened to Hup Seng Star last time when we were shopping for a family car)

The 520i Is said to be new entrance level to 5 series ownership. But to what ppl have said with the current trend, I always believe a 5 should have a IL6 Heart!
If you read across the SG forum where the new 4 pot engine is out. Only the 528i seems to be doing the justice right though the test car was towed back to the garage during the first few days of test driving.

My advice is still, dont pay up too much upfront cash on the car. Put the usual 10-20% down. take up loan, remaining cash get a property and rent it out.
Property prices can appreciate but not cars.. especially the above have stated the lifespan of current models.

Heh.. "prime" age. Like "prime" beef. Like sub-"prime". "prime" suspect. Wah-liao. This kind I don't want...

Anyway, to further what bro ck318ci has said (wise words), the new N20 engines are going to be an ubiquitous fact of BMW motoring, love it or not. Stricter fuel efficiency, emission standards have all pushed the car manufacturers into adopting "engine downsizing" as their new mantra. The good news is, with ever cutting-edge technology, the N20 engine is capable of an impressive amount of torque & hp - infact, it more than holds its own against the venerable N52B25, and I'd go as far as to say even against the old warhorse in BMW's stable, the N52B30. To sweeten the deal, it doesn't even sound like a usual 4-pot, which to some car aficionados, is apparently heavenly music to the ears.

The bad news is, it's a new engine. Relatively untested in real world driving conditions, and it really doesn't do the confidence any good to have the 528i test car break down on the launch day at Performance Motors Ltd here in Singapore. It was an absolute embarrassment. Not very reassuring, honestly. Remember the incident with BMW's other new 3.0L engine, the N54 Twin Turbo? That was very quickly replaced with the N55 Twinpower (Twin scroll) single turbo.

Now, I'm not saying that the N20 will head that way - in fact, a lot of the reviews have been glowingly positive, but given a choice between a frugal 520d (tried & tested technology, already super sipper at the pump, with great fuel economy) and an 'entry level' 520i with the new N20 engine, I think I'd be pretty sure to plonk my money down for the oil burner diesel.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Thank you Mr Wobble
The new engine will be paving way for The future BMW line up, and to some hard core BMW Fans, the IL6 will be missed.
Despite the paper output, The 4 potter cant really win the heart of IL6 fans. The smoothness and linear power delivery will not be match with a 4 pot turbo.
The sound generated is much of a sound engineering fit by reducing the NVH and using Computer generated tone and play via interior speakers.
BMW have even used this into the New M cars.

If this patent goes on, outsourcing guys can generate and programmed Ferrari Engine noise into a basic 318i and bring on the "Shiokness" in some people.

Maybe I am oldschool and I am glad I did got my IL6 523I, If not, next time when I need to get myself a 6 Cylinder motor, it will have to be the " entry level" 535i.

Note: Mercedes launced the first S class in history with a 4 potter turbo diesel!
S250CDI

You're absolutely right, bro CK. Ever since I was introduced to the IL6, I can no longer imagine ever going back to a 4 banger. The buttery creaminess and the smooth acceleration whenever I flex my right ankle is a feeling that escapes mere words and really needs to be savored. Frankly, the normally aspirated IL6 excels in the lazy, wafting driving that epitomizes a luxury sedan, IMHO.

The new F13 640i will also have an IL6, but alas, this one has a fan blowing up her behind, so she is seriously, explosively rapid, once the ankle flexing gets underway, but sometimes, when all I want is to waft around town on a lazy Sunday afternoon, I'd definitely be doing it in the 730Li :)

very true.... Is a luxury you enjoy and Enjoy you should.. like BMW motto. JOY ....

if anyone wants a quick car, there are tons of options half the price like the Lancer, type R Hondas, WRX scooby.

But for a exec car, IL6 to me is a must la.. at least Though the 5 is not really a luxury liner like the Mighty seven. But I wont be buying a 5 and expect it to behave like a boy racer type car. I.e handles and zip in and out of town Golf GTI.

The oilburner version is a trustworthy unit that has seen the success in Europe for many years.
Trincy, since you were in UK Before, you should know this as the Diesel always command higher resale value.

In My and Sg, Diesels are getting the much needed aknowledgement they deserve.. ppl who still relate driving a oil burner Merc/ BMW with the old Opel Gemini taxi and pink Bas Mini should open their eyes wide open and embrace the changes.

Only thing is, oil quality aside, the mechanical maintainence will take times to mature. Have heard a lot of failed turbo, injectors in modern Diesel after 2-3 years ownership and owner chucking away the car at dirt cheap price....
Just be prepared that when the engines run some flu or cold, not all " Doctors" can fix them and will leads to maltreatment and labelled terminal.....

So Trincy, what have you decided? Going to buy 1 or 2 cars? Diesel or petrol? 4 or 6 cylinders? What did dad advise?

wobbles;688038 said:
Heh.. "prime" age. Like "prime" beef. Like sub-"prime". "prime" suspect. Wah-liao. This kind I don't want...

Anyway, to further what bro ck318ci has said (wise words), the new N20 engines are going to be an ubiquitous fact of BMW motoring, love it or not. Stricter fuel efficiency, emission standards have all pushed the car manufacturers into adopting "engine downsizing" as their new mantra. The good news is, with ever cutting-edge technology, the N20 engine is capable of an impressive amount of torque & hp - infact, it more than holds its own against the venerable N52B25, and I'd go as far as to say even against the old warhorse in BMW's stable, the N52B30. To sweeten the deal, it doesn't even sound like a usual 4-pot, which to some car aficionados, is apparently heavenly music to the ears.

The bad news is, it's a new engine. Relatively untested in real world driving conditions, and it really doesn't do the confidence any good to have the 528i test car break down on the launch day at Performance Motors Ltd here in Singapore. It was an absolute embarrassment. Not very reassuring, honestly. Remember the incident with BMW's other new 3.0L engine, the N54 Twin Turbo? That was very quickly replaced with the N55 Twinpower (Twin scroll) single turbo.

Now, I'm not saying that the N20 will head that way - in fact, a lot of the reviews have been glowingly positive, but given a choice between a frugal 520d (tried & tested technology, already super sipper at the pump, with great fuel economy) and an 'entry level' 520i with the new N20 engine, I think I'd be pretty sure to plonk my money down for the oil burner diesel.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Well said :top:

My current ride is based on the N52B25 and u can imagine how I love the smoothness of the I6. But let's give the new N20 a chance to prove itself :fight:

ck318ci;688049 said:
But for a exec car, IL6 to me is a must la.. at least Though the 5 is not really a luxury liner like the Mighty seven. But I wont be buying a 5 and expect it to behave like a boy racer type car. I.e handles and zip in and out of town Golf GTI.

The oilburner version is a trustworthy unit that has seen the success in Europe for many years.
Trincy, since you were in UK Before, you should know this as the Diesel always command higher resale value.

In My and Sg, Diesels are getting the much needed aknowledgement they deserve.. ppl who still relate driving a oil burner Merc/ BMW with the old Opel Gemini taxi and pink Bas Mini should open their eyes wide open and embrace the changes.

Only thing is, oil quality aside, the mechanical maintainence will take times to mature. Have heard a lot of failed turbo, injectors in modern Diesel after 2-3 years ownership and owner chucking away the car at dirt cheap price....
Just be prepared that when the engines run some flu or cold, not all " Doctors" can fix them and will leads to maltreatment and labelled terminal.....

Get the new 520d with BSRI.. that should keep you covered for 3 years.. and then when Euro4 comes into the scene by 2015 (hopefully :smokin:)... then... all these worries about diesel would be a thing of the past...

I think i am almost convincing myself to settle for the new F30 320d instead of the F30 328i! Ha ha ha!

Ecc0;688181 said:
..this thread was really great fun to read so far :) ..

the diesel advocate advocates diesel!!!

ha ha...guessed what?

I am going day after 2mrw to Munich for 2 tours and 1 event at BMW Munich- The BMW Welt (stands for BMW World) tour and the plant tour and a Night of White Gloves event where you can touch some really valuable BMWs with white gloves......all arranged by BMW Malaysia....the 320d diesel advocate of BMWCM....ahem,ahem....here I come!!
The tours are all fully booked for months and if they didn't help me, i wouldn't have gotten in.

docrayboy;688193 said:
the diesel advocate advocates diesel!!!

ha ha...guessed what?

I am going day after 2mrw to Munich for 2 tours and 1 event at BMW Munich- The BMW Welt (stands for BMW World) tour and the plant tour and a Night of White Gloves event where you can touch some really valuable BMWs with white gloves......all arranged by BMW Malaysia....the 320d diesel advocate of BMWCM....ahem,ahem....here I come!!
The tours are all fully booked for months and if they didn't help me, i wouldn't have gotten in.

Congrats doc! Please, flood us hungry souls here with PEEK-CHURES of your fantastic adventure when you return! Have a safe trip (to & fro), a memorable visit to BMW Welt & a wonderful holiday!

PS. Don't forget, please: PEEK-CHUREEEES pleeeeeease :)

wobbles;688201 said:
Congrats doc! Please, flood us hungry souls here with PEEK-CHURES of your fantastic adventure when you return! Have a safe trip (to & fro), a memorable visit to BMW Welt & a wonderful holiday!

PS. Don't forget, please: PEEK-CHUREEEES pleeeeeease :)

Such a lucky... tut..... :top:

Remember to take pics and share with us here which don't have such opportunity... hope u carry a good point n shoot... :listen: may i recommend u the Canon S95?

Ha ha ha... enjoy

I just got an email from BMW Info....they say sorry, no pictures in the plant tour. I'll take pics of the BMW Welt Tour and Night of the White Gloves.

docrayboy;688454 said:
I just got an email from BMW Info....they say sorry, no pictures in the plant tour. I'll take pics of the BMW Welt Tour and Night of the White Gloves.

Sigh. BMW such spoilsports, but yes please, photos of the BMW Welt Tour & Night of the White gloves would be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED thanks!

hello everyone, i'm glad to see many of you had given me very good advise and once again, i really appreciate it.
I'm off to Indonesia in the morning for work and will be back next week and i promise myself i will go for a test drive.
I have not considered A6 because if i'm not mistaken, they are not CKD but CBU. Am i right?

something a little different for consideration.

i think a young girl buying a 5-series or E-class makes sense if choice influenced by work since thats what clients, colleagues, peers and market expects. u mentioned looking for a car that's classy, reliable and gives you less problems. the latter two, i am quite sure your relatively new camry will comfortably cost less to maintain and give you less headache over the next 10 years compared to the 5-series and E-class.

and since you've already got camry for days when an executive saloon is needed at work, e.g. driving colleagues/clients, why not get something special just for yourself? my recommendation would be a bright red audi tt convertible! haha. you'll look more cool than 99% of the people on the road including merc, bm and other audi drivers... and i bet you'll feel special when you look out the window at the person stuck in traffic jam next to you driving a 5-series or E-class.

unless of course the camry will be sold bcos you're only allowed one car, or the new car will also be used by mom and dad, etc. then you can't do the tt thing. in that case, i'd pick the merc over bmw... for exact reasons said by astro.

Bro Erica34 (or is that Ms Erica34) - the original thread starter's Camry is in Taiwan, I think :) - don't think that would be brought back to Malaysia hehehe.

Did Trincy mentioned something as bringing out clients etc etc?
Thought is more of a personal use hence I was recommending getting the 3 series.

it is very likely that erica34 feller only scanned the first couple of pages before jumping into thread hence the "IF choice influenced by work..." and having spend a little more time reading now realised it is very unlikely OP will be getting a topless red tt. haha.

go for test drives with your dad he'll be able to help you choose and you'll be happy with the choice. unless of course mom and dad is not suppose to know until u get the car. and my money is still on the merc... petrol.

Top Bottom