Should I get an E32 or E34 or E36 for My 70yo Dad?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

cloudbuster

Club Guest
Hi guys, my dad, who is 70 years old is currently without a car since his last vehicle turned BER. Thus, I am thinking of getting him a more classic-look BMW like the E32, E34 or E36 as a surprise gift, and I think he would definitely like any of the 3. However, I have never driven any of these models before and I'm not sure which one to get him. The car would be used on a daily basis for residential area + city driving with minimum highway usage. Plus it has to be with an auto transmission and it must have enough leg room for his physique as he is a six-footer.I just want to get some external opinions which model should I get for my dad as I'm really torn between these 3 models. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

a couple years back, i bought my old man a 4 year old W211. however when he reaches 70, i'll want him to drive something newish.. certainly something less than 5 years old, for the comfort and ease of driving. either the current c-class, an X1, a camry or myvi, up to him..

Surprise huh? Does he like a comfortable cruiser, or something rather classy?

Probably open up to other marques? Like Mizhan said, Mercs are rather good too. Hassle free, not so expensive to maintain, robust etc. If I were you, I'd suggest E32 cos I'm driving one too. :D

But, practically, a used W140 S Class would also be a rather interesting drive. :)

Eggie86;552764 said:
Surprise huh? Does he like a comfortable cruiser, or something rather classy?

Probably open up to other marques? Like Mizhan said, Mercs are rather good too. Hassle free, not so expensive to maintain, robust etc. If I were you, I'd suggest E32 cos I'm driving one too. :D

But, practically, a used W140 S Class would also be a rather interesting drive. :)

I think he would like a solid & comfortable ride. Just went to see & test drove a E32 with a 1jz today. Surprisingly, the ride was pretty comfortable and it does not feel like a 20 year old car at all. I was really impressed with the setup. However, it has an annoying 'oil level sensor' warning each time the car starts up.

Will definitely look up the W140 Mercs as well for comparison.

mizhan;552719 said:
a couple years back, i bought my old man a 4 year old W211. however when he reaches 70, i'll want him to drive something newish.. certainly something less than 5 years old, for the comfort and ease of driving. either the current c-class, an X1, a camry or myvi, up to him..

I agree newer would be better as well, however I have a budget constraint of less than RM30k if possible. :eek: Anything more than that would be quite tough for now, especially having to deal with my financial controller at home too,,, haaaa

cloudbuster;552908 said:
I think he would like a solid & comfortable ride. Just went to see & test drove a E32 with a 1jz today. Surprisingly, the ride was pretty comfortable and it does not feel like a 20 year old car at all. I was really impressed with the setup. However, it has an annoying 'oil level sensor' warning each time the car starts up.

Will definitely look up the W140 Mercs as well for comparison.

Your dad must be very proud to have a son like you. :top:

Anyways, the E32 is a very nice car to drive. Decent power, cruises well, but of course, with that engine size, expect hefty fuel bills. Mine's a daily driver, have to refuel every week, but gives sheer driving pleasure.

The W140 is another car though. Slightly more powerful, creamier engine, and much cheaper to maintain. With your budget, you can easily get a decent E36 328i too. But does your dad prefer to have a smaller car, or one which will definitely bring some kudos in terms of classiness?

I'm sure you'll definitely want the best for your dad, so keep your options open.

Psst, what about a Jag? :D

After testing a several cars these few days, I'm finally narrowing down the selection to the E32 and the E36. Both models are really fun to drive. Totally not jaded at all.

The E32, although a big size car, doesn't feel like it at all when driving around. I was offered an E32 with 1JZ engine at RM25k. The overall body and engine looks, sounds and feels ok, except for the leather seats which are terribly worn off.
If Rm25k worth it for a E32 with 1JZ or would it be better to get one with a stock engine?

Bro,

Get an E36 for yr dad so he cut his age by 30 years:top:
U r such a good son. Now make me think I should sent my dad Merz 124 for paintjob:love:

cloudbuster;553426 said:
The E32, although a big size car, doesn't feel like it at all when driving around. ?

very true. But you will feel its size when you try to park it somewhere :motz:

cloudbuster;553426 said:
After testing a several cars these few days, I'm finally narrowing down the selection to the E32 and the E36. Both models are really fun to drive. Totally not jaded at all.

The E32, although a big size car, doesn't feel like it at all when driving around. I was offered an E32 with 1JZ engine at RM25k. The overall body and engine looks, sounds and feels ok, except for the leather seats which are terribly worn off.
If Rm25k worth it for a E32 with 1JZ or would it be better to get one with a stock engine?

Cool. All the best with your decision bro. I'm sure your dad will not be disappointed at all. :top:

Which E36 have you decided on? 318,325,328?

Then again, RM 25K for E32 does seem rather high, although the plus side is that the engine's already converted. Try widening your E32 search bro, got a few being sold on this forum itself, and on classifieds, can see some dropping below RM 20K, especially the earlier models.

Eggie86;553630 said:
Haha. How true. But urs is the LWB version? :D

yep, mine is LI model. First day my wife drove the car, she took rear lights out hehehehe Since than, was scared to park the best.

kgb;553652 said:
yep, mine is LI model. First day my wife drove the car, she took rear lights out hehehehe Since than, was scared to park the best.

Wow, must be pretty painful.

Well, I still find the E32 easier to maneuver than the W140. :D

Haha. Practice makes perfect! I'm sure once you master parking your Li, it'll be a cinch to park any other cars? :top:

initialM;553491 said:
Bro,

Get an E36 for yr dad so he cut his age by 30 years:top:
U r such a good son. Now make me think I should sent my dad Merz 124 for paintjob:love:

My dad used to have a 124 too. It was quite a good & reliable car. Do you have a pic of your dad's ride?

Eggie86;553644 said:
Cool. All the best with your decision bro. I'm sure your dad will not be disappointed at all. :top:

Which E36 have you decided on? 318,325,328?

Then again, RM 25K for E32 does seem rather high, although the plus side is that the engine's already converted. Try widening your E32 search bro, got a few being sold on this forum itself, and on classifieds, can see some dropping below RM 20K, especially the earlier models.

Yeah, I have similar feelings about the price too.
At the same time, I'm scanning thru some E36 318 and 325i models.

cloudbuster;553950 said:
Yeah, I have similar feelings about the price too.
At the same time, I'm scanning thru some E36 318 and 325i models.

Hehe, don't rush headlong into making decisions. I know how tempting it is to just jump in and agree the first good deal that comes along, but I suppose, patience is a virtue worth having.

By when would you prefer to have the car on the doorstep for your dad to use? Cool.

Does your dad need a powerful ride, or one with decent pick up speed? The 318i does seem a tad underpowered, but the car's quite light and easy to chuck about as compared to the E32. I've driven both, but I'm still head over heels adoring my old junk E32. :D

cloudbuster;553949 said:
My dad used to have a 124 too. It was quite a good & reliable car. Do you have a pic of your dad's ride?

No lar bro. Will try to snap one if permit. Its 190E actually wt 124 black engine.
Robust, easy & cheap to maintain.

initialM;554086 said:
No lar bro. Will try to snap one if permit. Its 190E actually wt 124 black engine.
Robust, easy & cheap to maintain.

Wow, 190E. Awesome car. Mini W124. Haha. :top:

Top Bottom