Shaking Headlights on the E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
My friend had the same problems. apprently this is common on e39 where they have uprated or non standard bumbpers etc. Go to Raymonds Auto at Sunway Damansara and he should give you a quick fix whcih does not cost much. Note, it is not a permanent fix. Anyway he can give you an opinon on it. Ask for Raymond

BM Wong in USJ1 can fix this since he keep a stock for the parts. PM me if you want his address and contact no.

BM Wong in USJ1 can fix this since he keep a stock for the parts. PM me if you want his address and contact no.

open up the head lamp, took me 3 solid hours, no easy job. found out that both adjuster are brittle & broken, apparently due to the heat from the bulb. Any replacement will not b permenant unless i can get the aluminium adjuster. temporary fixed now untill i find the aluminium part.

macgy,...what did you use to melt the adhesive? heat gun or oven? after you take it apart, how you going to glue them back?

i use hair dryer, that is y it takes me a long time, dont think heat gun is the right tool, it may burn the plastic lamp if u over blow, oven will be the right way, unfortunately my oven is too small. If u dont have a big oven, my suggestion is after u drive ur car for sometime, esp in hot afternoon, open the cover immediately after that, the adhesive shd be quite soft then. o ya the adhesive used on my lamp is the same i found used in the door panel of most car, so it is not hardern and it ll get softer once heated. will post pic of my work if u r interested.

mibeem;192476 said:
sorry for my ignorance, but may I know what this CCFL is..? (xenon lights?)

Regards

If I'm not mistaken CCFL stands for Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp.
The original angle eyes are amber in colour but CCFL makes it fluorescent/bright white.

macgy..one pictures speak a thousand words :) of course dont just post one pic...hahah

Looking forward to see your DIY, I'm planning to do this as i need to change the adjuster and also stick in my CCFL angel eyes....(thanks bro bailey for still holding onto them...will get them from you soon...sorry bro..)

Replay;312793 said:
macgy,...what did you use to melt the adhesive? heat gun or oven? after you take it apart, how you going to glue them back?

For angel eyes - Use a hair dryer also can. Slow and be very patient, as you heat up the section the glue becomes soft and u can peel that part away. I used epoxy putty to glue the adjusters back, it lasted 6 months. Now i have cable ties holding the bulbs up, works for me. Unless you hv new adjusters for replacement don't bother.

My friend inserted some very hard rubber compound to "tilt" the lamps up permanently. Now, no more shaking beam and the beam height is high enough (a bit too high)...just can't do anymore height adjustment from cabin. He didn't remove the plastic cover. Mine is angel eye version.

hi bro,
here is some pic, 1. parts that i bought fr local hardware store. 2. headlamp after being removed. 3. two broken adjusters.

part 3, step by step temporary fix. 1. drill a hole to both adjuster, 2. slot in the wire(use longer wire, u can cut it short later), 3. tighten up the wire connector (with plastic removed) near the adjuster, 4. slot the wire through the holder on the lamp, 5. slot in the brown rubber n the 2nd wire connector (plastic not removed) but don't tighten it at this stage, 6. now u can reinstall the lamp, put every thing back in place, don't install the front cover at this stage. 7. with every thing in place, pull the cables tight at the other end n tighten the 2nd wire connector(at both adjusters), 8. finally cut the excess cable n install the plactic lamp cover. hope it help guys.

bmw7833;311811 said:
U can fix the problem in rm110.

Hi bmw7833,

where can i fix this prob for rm110? I m in Puchong. Anywhere nearby my area? Mine is angel eyes hella. Headlights low and cannot adjust, can hardly see clearly at night.

Thanks

Bro, the worksop located in Skudai, but as i know last time opp oso repaired his on rm130 in KL.

JYazid;311822 said:

Hi bro,

Have PM you. Still waiting for your reply.

Regards

David y

BM Wong hp is 0162950677. His shop is in USJ 1. He did my shaking headlights. Got it fixed but mine was extra hard to pry open and so there were some cracks. Luckily can't see when installed back in the car. But when I wash the car you can see moisture in the lamps.

But other people have better results so mine is a special case probably. Forgot the cost though.

Top Bottom