ride height and handling

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

datsunnismo

Club Guest
hi all...Im running my e30 with eibach lowered springs. tyre: 195/60/15. gap between tyre and arch: front = a finger. rear = 3 fingers My question, does this unevent height makes the car handles bad at the corner? pls advice...?

datsunnismo;493975 said:
hi all...

Im running my e30 with eibach lowered springs. tyre: 195/60/15.
gap between tyre and arch: front = a finger.
rear = 3 fingers

My question, does this unevent height makes the car handles bad at the corner?

pls advice...?

^^^^ what shocks r u running? u wouldn't feel that much of a different unless you corner your car at high speeds (@ < 70Kmph). Since rear of your car is higher than the front (calle it "Rake effect") oversteer can occur in high speed cornering.
I ran the eibach with Tokico blues and had my rear spring pads removed and didn't have single issue. But springs were softer.

datsunnismo;493975 said:
.. My question, does this unevent height makes the car handles bad at the corner? ..

Yes.. E90 rear is sitting a little lower than the front and it has something to do with chassis weight distribution.. nothing to do with the absorber as ride height is determined by spring rate and spring height. OEM springs are designed that way. If u using adjustable coil over, make sure your take OEM ride height measurement and slam it down proportionately.. an experienced foreman would know what to do.

astroboy;494025 said:
Yes.. E90 rear is sitting a little lower than the front and it has something to do with chassis weight distribution.. nothing to do with the absorber as ride height is determined by spring rate and spring height. OEM springs are designed that way. If u using adjustable coil over, make sure your take OEM ride height measurement and slam it down proportionately.. an experienced foreman would know what to do.

OP's car is e30 not e90 and his e30 rear is sitting higher than the front, not the other way around.

Are you sure you are running on eibachs front and rear as the finger gap measurement is weird for a lowered car...Usually it should be 2 or 3 finger gap front and 1 finger for rear...

visible front lowered and rear raised will require stiffer shocks in the front to prevent/ reduce diving when you brake hard.

EEEE30;494031 said:
OP's car is e30 not e90 and his e30 rear is sitting higher than the front, not the other way around.

I'm just quoting an example and the juice in my earlier message was..

"..take OEM ride height measurement and slam it down proportionately.."

The rest of the message were just side dishes, building a case to support the weight distribution using varying ride heights between the front and back... just ignore if u not interested to learn more... am just trying to teach u how to fish.. :wink:

Cheers!

wow... thanks for the replies and advice.

yup im running on used eibach from a friend. as i understand, e30 front arch gab is greater than the rear. i'he saw some other car with eibach also like what GENOZIDE said.

I'm running this spring about a year. i just accept this cuz i like the look. but i afraid it will give other problems too. cuz currently my front wheel bearing has spoiled which was replaced 7 months ago. confused.$%#^%$^%$^%$&^

Lower your front, CG (central gravity) moved to the front.. if your front bearing spoil due to this, then your rear bearing shall last longer due to the same.. :D

hahahaa...

Bro astroboy, i just assuming tht the bearing has spoiled cus of the unevent height.. but is't really can couse this kind of problem?

later i'll post some pictures...

thanks

^^^^ People lower their e30 front ends all the time and I'm yet to hear such thing as uneven hights (lowered front) causes bearings to go bad. If the uneven ride hights make bearings to go bad then spring manufaturers wouldn't make springs with different hight combinations for both front and rear.

It may be caused by something else (or may be it's normal wear and tear) . Better check it out.

Below is my friend Ed's old e30. He was runnig KW 60/40 springs (60mm front drop / 40mm rear drop) on top of that he ran drop hats for a while making front more lowered, beleive me his car was LOW. That's why he kept 2 spare oil pans in his trunk (just in case)

PS. He is not on coilovers.

used to run on Eibachs.. Now on Apex which I feel is better than Eibachs, tat's me lah...
Front absorbers - Titan custom made (not coilover)...
rear absorbers - Used Merc W124 (or was it W202)... (new abs too hard.. haha. so better with used ones)

Ride is firm but not bouncy stiff... Sweet neutral handling in Sepang.. Ride height is pretty even front and back, car doesn't appear lower up front.
On hiways, can go 200kph and wouldn't feel car floating... Can even take long sweepers at that speed. :) Though that will make law abiding ppl frown on me.. :p (only done when road is clear)

Of cos, there are other suspension parts in play... ;)

fabianyee;494262 said:
used to run on Eibachs.. Now on Apex which I feel is better than Eibachs, tat's me lah...
Front absorbers - Titan custom made (not coilover)...
rear absorbers - Used Merc W124 (or was it W202)... (new abs too hard.. haha. so better with used ones)

Ride is firm but not bouncy stiff... Sweet neutral handling in Sepang.. Ride height is pretty even front and back, car doesn't appear lower up front.
On hiways, can go 200kph and wouldn't feel car floating... Can even take long sweepers at that speed. :) Though that will make law abiding ppl frown on me.. :p (only done when road is clear)

Of cos, there are other suspension parts in play... ;)

Dun play play! Gymkhana champion car! Superb handling E30 that beats E90!!

Terowong Karak to Gombak tolls at 180~200kph!! :eek:

hi bro EEEE30. from the car picture tht u post... no doubt the car is really low. but the rear is lower thn front...

datsunnismo;494276 said:
hi bro EEEE30. from the car picture tht u post... no doubt the car is really low. but the rear is lower thn front...

bro,

just wan to share - my E30 M40 the rear gap is lower by about one finger, stock std.

Yup! the rear is lifted too much.. like those Saga from the 80's fitted with overly aggressive offset rear wheel that causes rear fender scrubbing, had no choice but lifted the rear to gain more wheel gap clearance..

The handling of the car would not be nice.. even your headlight dip too much and need upward adjustment..

Top Bottom