Quad Exhaust + CCC

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
well,theoretically,performance exhausts flows better by having larger diameter pipes and less restrictive silencers.on the exhaust stroke,engine horsepower is required to force exhaust gasses thru a system.by reducing resistance to this gas expulsion process,less bhp is needed thus making more available at the flywheel instead..hence,more power.

the amount of gas an exhaust system can flow is proportional to the velocity of air multiplied by the average path area thus a bigger pipe should see gains in bhp.note tho this is only true up to a certain extent..if the pipes are too big,the velocity of air/gas starts to decrease thus reducing low end response/torque.

so choosing the diameter of the piping in an exhaust system is not a simple matter.note also that NA engines are more prone to the effects of losing low end torque compared to turbo engines.

other than the header that needs to be bent for obvious reasons,another thing that affects flow will be the path of the pipe/pipes.a straight one should in theory be better that one that is bent,also the internal surface of the piping shold be as smooth as possible to avoid hindrance/turbulence.so here,i don't see why a split pipe quad exit setup should be disadvantageous as long as the proper path of the pipings is established.the only disadvantage i can see here is probably the increase in weight la..

my 2 cents

supergripen;363065 said:
on the exhaust stroke,engine horsepower is required to force exhaust gasses thru a system.by reducing resistance to this gas expulsion process,less bhp is needed thus making more available at the flywheel instead..hence,more power.

True, but there is more.
My last post mentioned the 2 Vs, Velocity and Volume.
With right velocity and volume, at a certain resonance(pulse), a good exhaust/header will create a suction effect to "vacuum" the exhaust air out from combusion chamber.
This help to create more Hp by having less dirty/used air trap in combustion chamber (by suck it out), and have clearner/vacuum combusiton chamber on the next intake stroke.
This is also part of the reason why performance cam have longer intake & exhaust interval.
Having equal length exhaust manifold also help. Also 6-2-1 exhast manifold instead of 6-1 design. (6-2-1 help in the pulse effect)

this is only true up to a certain extent..if the pipes are too big,the velocity of air/gas starts to decrease thus reducing low end response/torque.

Again, the 2 Vs. Big exhaust have good volume but not enough velocity. Not enough speed to exhale the exhaust gas.

Splitting the pipe interfere the pulsation of the exhaust. You are loosing the Vs quicker
And if I recall, lots of racing dont' use quad exhaust, or double (unless is a V-engine). Maybe the reason is here.

For turbo application, the easier, quicker to expand the hot air (hot turbine side), the faster and sooner it will spool. (eliminate pumping loss) I never come across anyone who complaint their exhaust is too big for thier turbo-ed car :)
Maybe you loose some driveability at low rpm. Corky Bell said the same in his book.

Cheers.

i still don't see why having a split system is disadvantageous..like i said,as long as the proper paths are established,there should be no problems.

but good post nontheless..very refreshing to have meaningful discussions like this.i'm gonna see Jaafar and discuss the same thing with him and see what he has to say.

cheers

looks like we have the same passion for turbos/forced induction technology.nothing beats having a turbo:top:

Hmm... I don't understand most of what turbology and supergripen said in this thread :D
However, for me... quad exhaust is for aesthetic purpose... not racing or whatsoever. FYI, I'd gone to Jaafar of JFA and Wai Heng Exhaust to ask about the quad exhaust... they offer Hamann like quad for about RM3k... but after lengthy consideration, I have decided to go for Remus Sports Label System... with thicker exhaust tip.

This job will be done at Motorsport Division Sunway... other jobs include:
1) Hamann Front Lip and Rear Diffuser
2) ACS Roof Spoiler
3) M5 Fender Grill
4) Angeli Bright Ring Marker + Fog Lamp (Brightest in the World.. as claimed by themselves)
5) Carbon Fibre Emblem for the Hood +Trunk + Steering Wheel

Cost me a bomb...

thule;365803 said:
Hmm... I don't understand most of what turbology and supergripen said in this thread :D
However, for me... quad exhaust is for aesthetic purpose... not racing or whatsoever. FYI, I'd gone to Jaafar of JFA and Wai Heng Exhaust to ask about the quad exhaust... they offer Hamann like quad for about RM3k... but after lengthy consideration, I have decided to go for Remus Sports Label System... with thicker exhaust tip.

This job will be done at Motorsport Division Sunway... other jobs include:
1) Hamann Front Lip and Rear Diffuser
2) ACS Roof Spoiler
3) M5 Fender Grill
4) Angeli Bright Ring Marker + Fog Lamp (Brightest in the World.. as claimed by themselves)
5) Carbon Fibre Emblem for the Hood +Trunk + Steering Wheel

Cost me a bomb...

bro, how much the remus sport label? is it quad or normal?

hakim_radzuan;365822 said:
bro, how much the remus sport label? is it quad or normal?

Remus Sport Label Quad Exhaust

1) RM5500 with thin exhaust tip
2) RM5800 with thicker exhaust tip

Aesthetic-wise... thicker actually makes your car look more macho... lol!

how much did the angel eyes cost? i understand it changes the angel eyes from dull yellow to bright white,am i correct? where is the product from?

i think this is a good upgrade as it makes the car more visible to other road users thus increasing passive safety..and it'll be more than a match to Audi's LEDs.

might go for it myself...

supergripen;365948 said:
how much did the angel eyes cost? i understand it changes the angel eyes from dull yellow to bright white,am i correct? where is the product from?

i think this is a good upgrade as it makes the car more visible to other road users thus increasing passive safety..and it'll be more than a match to Audi's LEDs.

no angel eyes yet?? i thought u had everything except only the ts2 hehe... last i paid about RM800 for PIAA at M.Division...should cost less now and may even be worth considering the cloned ones from Taiwan for less than 1/2 the price as they are whiter n brighter. check w exoticmods as well...

Exoticmods cost only rm250 for a 7k HID angel eye ... one of d best mods i've done so far in addition to my 6300 HID fog lights :) best value for money IMHO

ess530i;365970 said:
no angel eyes yet?? i thought u had everything except only the ts2 hehe... last i paid about RM800 for PIAA at M.Division...should cost less now and may even be worth considering the cloned ones from Taiwan for less than 1/2 the price as they are whiter n brighter. check w exoticmods as well...

hehe..mine's still the standard yellowish dull ones.saw the B8 A4 on the road and was pretty impressed with the LED daylight running lights.since then,i've been wanting to upgrade my angel eyes so that they glow white and bright.it'll be a good passive safety feature to have,especially when u're driving fast and would want to have people notice that u're coming so that they can take 'evasive' action..so to speak:wink:

yup,still missing the TS2 isk isk.soon...soon... i hope.

supergripen;365948 said:

Bro, I go for the best in the market... try to go to www.angelibright.com and check it out. By the way, it's from the US itself. They claimed as the brightest in the world... if I'm not mistaken, Exotic Mods also carry this product but it cost about RM1500 just for the angel eyes alone. For me, I'd ordered from the website itself for the package of Angeli Bright v3.0 + Xenon-Match Fog Lamp for just about RM1350 (including delivery from US).
One setback though.. it might kena tahan at the Custom @ KLIA (mine did)... so pray! but I went there to sort out and tell them that it's BULB, no duty was charged... lol!!!
I am installing it at the end of this week, will update here on the brightness level once I'm done OK??

P.S: By the way, Angelibright.com also gave me some discount coupons which can be used for future orders. I have not checked out whether there is expiration date or not but those who are interested to order themselves. pls PM me to get the coupon code ok?? I think that there are 3-5 coupons with me (to the confirmed).

ess530i;365970 said:

I've considered to go for PIAA too... as it's from Japan, therefore the quality should be OK. The thing is I'd done some research & asked around some of my friends or friend's friends who drove E60... they think the brighter the angel eyes, the more attention they can get on the road. It's even visible during the daylight and therefore good for passive safety issue as well.

Bro.. sorry for asking but TS2 is some sort of a supercharger right?? Can it be done for 525?? Coz I tried to google earlier and most of them were installed on 530 only. How much is cost and what is the performance like?

is ur engine the m54 or the n52?

for the m54 525i,ESS offers the TS2 for usd7995..gives 300bhp/360Nm which is an increase of more than 100bhp/Nm over the standard figures.

pretty hefty sum but i do think its worth it..makes a very nice 525i,with plenty of midrange urge making the car a very nice comfy fast cruiser..at least that's what i'm looking for la.the trick is to get the kit in without going thru customs..if kena tax,matikudasai man...

supergripen;366058 said:
is ur engine the m54 or the n52?

for the m54 525i,ESS offers the TS2 for usd7995..gives 300bhp/360Nm which is an increase of more than 100bhp/Nm over the standard figures.

pretty hefty sum but i do think its worth it..makes a very nice 525i,with plenty of midrange urge making the car a very nice comfy fast cruiser..at least that's what i'm looking for la.the trick is to get the kit in without going thru customs..if kena tax,matikudasai man...

:eek: what??? USD8k??? Not including tax lagi???
anyway, thanks for explaining to me... I think that I will stick to my priority first... right now, it will be the bodykit + exhaust. My next step will be reverse camera, GPS, DVD, etc...
Then... pending for the performance of my company.. if good there will be big bonus.. I might add sprint booster and also voltage stabiliser... and also other performance parts...

thule;366093 said:
:eek: what??? USD8k??? Not including tax lagi???
anyway, thanks for explaining to me... I think that I will stick to my priority first... right now, it will be the bodykit + exhaust. My next step will be reverse camera, GPS, DVD, etc...
Then... pending for the performance of my company.. if good there will be big bonus.. I might add sprint booster and also voltage stabiliser... and also other performance parts...

ideally i would love to have the n54 twinturbo powerplant in my car..but i guess since the engine is still new,it'll be even more expensive than the supercharger kit.potential wise,the N54 will be a better bet as can be seen by the tuning of various 135i/335is that typically yields 350+bhps simply by remapping the ECU.

the ESS TS2 would be pretty close tho.. the twinscrew gives virtually instant GO whenever u want it,otherwise,offboost the car behaves like a standard car.i think Richard(ess530i) should be able to tell u more..

wich list for my ride..
1.ESS TS2
2.iDrive CCC upgrade
3.BBK or comparable upgrade using genuine BMW parts.
4.finally,a BMW Advanced Driver Training!!!

supergripen;366350 said:
ideally i would love to have the n54 twinturbo powerplant in my car..but i guess since the engine is still new,it'll be even more expensive than the supercharger kit.potential wise,the N54 will be a better bet as can be seen by the tuning of various 135i/335is that typically yields 350+bhps simply by remapping the ECU.

the ESS TS2 would be pretty close tho.. the twinscrew gives virtually instant GO whenever u want it,otherwise,offboost the car behaves like a standard car.i think Richard(ess530i) should be able to tell u more..

wich list for my ride..
1.ESS TS2
2.iDrive CCC upgrade
3.BBK or comparable upgrade using genuine BMW parts.
4.finally,a BMW Advanced Driver Training!!!

seriously, I don't need any boost for my car... except for when accelerating from stand still... I think it's a bit slow. That's why I'm planning to install sprint booster. It's bout RM1200 right?
Twin turbo, TS2... are way out of my wish list. by the way, my baby has the new Magnesium N52 engine :D

thule;366360 said:
That's why I'm planning to install sprint booster.

Your car have a "clicker" when you floor it.
Is there for a reason. Use it often and wisely.

turbology;366386 said:
Your car have a "clicker" when you floor it.
Is there for a reason. Use it often and wisely.

Thanks for the reminder bro :top:
I never really floor the pedal... don't intend to either :D I just want my car to have a better sprint or pick-up:wink:

turbology;366390 said:
p/s: what is wrong if you floor it ?

hmmm... good question... nothing is wrong actually... maybe I have never really floor accelerator before :D
unless someone pisses me off while driving & I might tail him... but that rarely happened these days. My wife nag me a lot...
Will try to do it more often though

Top Bottom