Preferred diesel brand for 320d?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

jim2106

Club Guest
I just wonder whether u feel any difference with different brand?i.e currently i stick to petronas diesel from day 1 , but meet someone (from 1 petrol station owner, petroxxx )who discourage using petronxs diesel due quality?thinking to switch to other brand such as shell etc, . would like to know feedback from others diesel user here...perhaps we could do a review as belowmodel : 320dpetrol used : petronasfull tank range (outstation 900-950km)full tank range (urban mixed approx 800)please share ur experiece will ya?

I don't think there's a difference at all...but due to convenience; their petrol nozzles most often fit, I use Petronas most of the time, Jim.

And when it comes to filling with Euro 4 (gameover went over to spore)- again no difference to the performance of the car.It's already...a scorcher!

None other than Malaysia's premier motoring journalist, Mr Paul Tan (aka paultantk on the forum) also recently told me he wouldn't recommend the upgrade package offered by BMW for our engines to go up to 184hp and 380nm because of the increased strain on the gearbox.

I'd be wary of of the upgraded if I intended to keep the car a long time - the car already has enough power as it is.

BMW has shown us recently with the way they design their maintenance schedules and etc these days that they do not seem to be interested in the longevity of their components, only for them to last within the "estimated lifetime", whatever that is.

Already popped one gearbox due to extra torque heheh. Chances are that if you are willing to fork out that much money for a power upgrade, you'll probably rempit the car alot.

Just like Ray, I use Petronas most of the time and sometimes with Shell. No difference between them to me. The quality of the fuel can be tampered by irresponsible truckers and station owners.

I believe the 325d and the 320d share the same gearbox so the extra power mods should be fine but like paultktan said, the 320d already have more than enough power for our roads. It is enough to keep it ahead of most traffic and rempits on the road :)

Is the 320d LCI running GA6HP19Z? I only know LCI is all on GM boxes compare to the ZF 6HP19 for the pre LCI.

I checked realoem.com for 2010 model year e90 lci and it seems the diesel model and the "35i" petrols use the zf.

all,

i have recently switched to caltex. Now running on the 2nd tank. I would say no significant different on the performance and the mileage is about the same on full tank as compare to petronas diesel except that i have the feeling that the diesels clatter or noise is better on caltex..or may be it is just me..haha.fyi, i have been with petronas since day 1 and already clocked nearly 15k on the mileage.

Thanks to gameover for the tips on nozzle size, now manage to filled up medium size nozzle at caltex with a little trick :top:

paultantk;566252 said:
the GA6HP19Z seems to be designed for maximum torque of about 400Nm.

Thanks Paul, this info will be useful if I decide to chip my car after the warranty is over :top:

for most of the time i am using Esso, but not all Esso is good, i have tried the one in tmn shamelin, my car is damn noisy and out of power, then i went to the Esso that is on Kasas which is opposite to Safari (near jln Kuari) and that makes the difference, my car feels lighter and more powerful, then one day i tried Petronas, my car feels even better, let me put in this way,
1st choice Petronas
2nd Esso
3rd Shell
4th Carltex
5th Bhp

just make sure that you don't pump the gas when they are refilling, all those dirty residue at the bottom of the tank will flow all over the tank, so when we pump in the gas, those will be very dirty diesel....so remember when u see the big big truck is there, just leave the place :)

paultantk;566286 said:
I checked realoem.com for 2010 model year e90 lci and it seems the diesel model and the "35i" petrols use the zf.

This is the same ZF gearbox which the pre facelift E90 325i uses as well. Looks like BMW believes it can handle more torque than the GM gearboxes which is now used in the LCI E90 325i.

Glad my car came with the ZF if that is the case :)

Guys, some update from me...

previously i've been using petronas diesel.
then somebode advise me to switch to other brand, so i tried caltex..

what i notice is with caltex, the waiting time for the car to start ( i believe for the glow plug to prepare the fuel) in the morning is lesser, maybe half than when i'm using petronas...

car feel a little bit lighter (as i'm using v power if on petrol).

using 2 tanks so far.. maybe my 320d prefer caltex? will update u later....

I have had no chance to try any other fuel than Shell. Can't comment much. Even the newest Petronas pump station in PD does not have the right nozzle for our tank. Refuelling in this Shell station is also done with the aid of the good old screwdriver. Slowly checking other stations here in PD to find the right nozzle. Will let you all know if I find it.

My next refuelling should be in Caltex. Going to see if there is any increase in performance. By the way, something not related to this thread, but can anyone please advise what are the items provided in our 320d tool kit? I feel as though I have not been provided with all the things.

Room temperature. Single cylinder diesel engine test rig. All brands of diesel are mixed with diesel additive at recommended ratio.

thanks for the informative chart..

no wonder i feel better with caltex

IsaacVky;573247 said:

Room temperature. Single cylinder diesel engine test rig. All brands of diesel are mixed with STP diesel additive at recommended ratio.

IsaacVky;573247 said:
Room temperature. Single cylinder diesel engine test rig. All brands of diesel are mixed with STP diesel additive at recommended ratio.

Great chart, Isaac - what's the source of this info, when was the test done and was there a particular goal for the test? Hope you don't mind sharing, as these things can get a little controversial if not well supported.

For me, BHP was the first tank, Petronas next 2 tanks and now with Shell. Petronas seems to have given the smoothest performance. Engine a bit noisier with Shell, but perhaps just psychological.

Get too much mileage with the diesel engine :top:, that haven't had a chance to compare more brands yet.

Maniac;573310 said:
Great chart, Isaac - what's the source of this info, when was the test done and was there a particular goal for the test? Hope you don't mind sharing, as these things can get a little controversial if not well supported.

For me, BHP was the first tank, Petronas next 2 tanks and now with Shell. Petronas seems to have given the smoothest performance. Engine a bit noisier with Shell, but perhaps just psychological.

Get too much mileage with the diesel engine :top:, that haven't had a chance to compare more brands yet.

Maniac,
Source is from the 3rd year mechanical student of the highest ranking university currently in the country. Test was conducted 3 weeks ago, fresh commercial pump diesel. The goal is to investigate the effect of varying diesel additive ratio on a single brand of diesel & varying diesel fuel brand with recommended ratio of diesel additive on the performance of a 4-stroke diesel engine.

Top Bottom