Power Window for E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ckchow7

Club Guest
Hi all,I have been test driving a few E39s from the used car dealers and most of them share a common problem, the power windows... that is the first thing that i observed.From what i gather from the other posting of members, the used car dealers promised me to repair it should i make the purchase however i am beginning to doubt this promise as the repairs could go up to thousands should the need arise to replace the module.The used car dealer did mention sending the car to the wiring person to have the power window fixed... is it really that simple?

Brother, My E39 Also Facing This Problem, At The Driver Side. This Is Due To The Gear That Hold The Cable Is Worn Out, No Way To Fix It For Me In This Situation Unless I Replace The "Plastic" Gear With Steel One.....

ckchow7;401607 said:
Hi all,

I have been test driving a few E39s from the used car dealers and most of them share a common problem, the power windows... that is the first thing that i observed.

From what i gather from the other posting of members, the used car dealers promised me to repair it should i make the purchase however i am beginning to doubt this promise as the repairs could go up to thousands should the need arise to replace the module.

The used car dealer did mention sending the car to the wiring person to have the power window fixed... is it really that simple?

Hi,

What exactly is your problem with the power window ?

My ride is 528 UK specs 98 and I had problem with my power windows (at least 3 of them if not ll four); they all have the same problem, the gear to the cable is not working and it can be re-conditioned at about RM400 plus (inclusive of labour).

Never believe used car dealer; I rather spend a bit more and be assured of the problem has been properly resolved.

Let me know if your need the name of the workshop which I service my car.

Good luck.

For your info, rear power window only costs u rm250 per pc (Taiwan made). No worry..

ckchow7;401607 said:
Hi all,

I have been test driving a few E39s from the used car dealers and most of them share a common problem, the power windows... that is the first thing that i observed.

From what i gather from the other posting of members, the used car dealers promised me to repair it should i make the purchase however i am beginning to doubt this promise as the repairs could go up to thousands should the need arise to replace the module.

The used car dealer did mention sending the car to the wiring person to have the power window fixed... is it really that simple?

I had the same problems with my windows as well some time ago. It was due to the windows not being used for too long so they thend to get 'stuck' in its place. When i wanted it to go down there was a loud CRACK then gears trying to move the lifter up or down. But the window is already halfway down. It has already come lose so its 'free-falling'. i had to put my hands on the inside and outside and lift the window back into its place if i go on uneven roads or our infamous potholes.

A new lifter and motor unit will set u back at about 1k+. I think it was a bit too steep to get it replaced as i hardly wind down my rear windows. So i got it fixed by Naidu, who repairs airconds actually. He got me a recond motor and lifter and cables for only 400 bucks. So it was a good deal to get the rear mechanisms changed. For the front however if u can afford it get the original brnad new one. Well it lasted 12 years for my case and probably 8 years for u. U wind down the driver window more often so invest in a brand new original one so it'll last another 8-12 years!

Top Bottom