Poor Mileage... Need Advise

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Have anyone tried air-cond additive??
For my alphard, my mechanic suggested that I add air-cond additive to make the air-cond compressor smoother and lighter and this will put less stress to the engine and hence improved fuel consumption. There's a logic to it and I have tried doing it.
Suffice to say, the engine DO feel lighter, of course the air-cond feels cooler and the FC, I dare say, has shown some noticeable improvement laa..
For the BMW, will definitely try it soon.

kinobeano;795426 said:
For my alphard, my mechanic suggested that I add air-cond additive to make the air-cond compressor smoother and lighter and this will put less stress to the engine and hence improved fuel consumption. There's a logic to it and I have tried doing it.
Suffice to say, the engine DO feel lighter, of course the air-cond feels cooler and the FC, I dare say, has shown some noticeable improvement laa..

I am not sure but i did read this: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1416044/all :listen:

tweiboon;795191 said:
For this i really dont know what is the logic behind. Before change the alternator my FC is RM0.18 to RM0.20 for the mentioned above drive. Before i changed the alternator, my foreman said is will have better FC if change to bigger alternator due to i am using 90A. I though my 90A having problem but infact the 90A alternator is still working fine. Due to Malaysia too hot causing use must on air cond will cause less charges to battery and shorten the battery life.

based on your explanation, I should go for 1000A alternator to reduce further my fuel consumption.. or better still 1,000,000A if there is such capacity.

and your mechanic should work for BMW R&D department.

Tweiboon, I just checked and found out my car's alter is 120amp and after googled most E46 comes with 120amps unless they are very old model 318 with M43 engine. E39 with such large engine or similar to e46 come with 90A??? Have anyone replaced it earlier?

kinobeano;795426 said:

It is just "oil" for the compressor. I have done it before and it cost about RM35 for a small bottle of oil.

it does make the compressor works quieter and more efficient.

mikeraj04;795648 said:
Dear Bro jarance,

can i know what brand is the oil? pls

Sorry I dont know. All I know is that the A/C open a box and the oil come in a small tube of about 1"dia and 3" length.
He pour it into a small cylinder tube and connect it to low pressure line of the refrigerant. Then he connect the other end to the
refrigerant refill tank. He then slow open the valve and slowly push the oil into the compressor during the refrigerant filling.

The aircon compressor have some oil inside the compressor. Overtime the oil will escaped if there is small leak in the system.

I presume the oil is a "standard oil" for AC compressor.

OK I search and google and found this oil.
P6150310.jpg

anaksarawak;795535 said:
Tweiboon, I just checked and found out my car's alter is 120amp and after googled most E46 comes with 120amps unless they are very old model 318 with M43 engine. E39 with such large engine or similar to e46 come with 90A??? Have anyone replaced it earlier?

Then u have to google e39 uk spec version. I saw many UK spec 523i using 90A alternator. Due to 90A slow crank when start engine. After changed to 120A, start engine is much more faster.

jarance;795534 said:
based on your explanation, I should go for 1000A alternator to reduce further my fuel consumption.. or better still 1,000,000A if there is such capacity.

and your mechanic should work for BMW R&D department.

Go request, i will tell him later. But what is causing my e39 to have RM0.1508 for high way drive ? I just change the alternator only. Before i changed alternator i also changed to Bilstein B6 and front upper arm.

Guys my OBC showing 19l/100km/...mech says it has too do with a faulty air mass sensor...anyone has any experience on changing this to improve FC?

integramania;810049 said:
Guys my OBC showing 19l/100km/...mech says it has too do with a faulty air mass sensor...anyone has any experience on changing this to improve FC?

Bro, let's meet up for a TT session. Can determine whether is it faulty via diagnostic. But would advise you to try cleaning it first and see whether would that change anything.

helo sifus, new here... need ur advices, im using 320i 6cyclinder..... getting very poor mileage.. just bought the car for 7 months ago.... can only get 320km / tank when im driving in town.. is it normal? already check in 2 bmw workshop... no errors.... even changed the exhaust sensor when the workshop advice me... but i feel like ther is no improvement at all.. plz advice...

badboy5474;811204 said:
helo sifus, new here... need ur advices, im using 320i 6cyclinder..... getting very poor mileage.. just bought the car for 7 months ago.... can only get 320km / tank when im driving in town.. is it normal? already check in 2 bmw workshop... no errors.... even changed the exhaust sensor when the workshop advice me... but i feel like ther is no improvement at all.. plz advice...

What works for me are

Replace fuel filter
New spark plugs and coils
Air filter
Lique moly jet clean
Gearbox aft change
Engine oil flush and changed to 0-40 fully syn
Use petronas ron95
Only drive my car for 3 minutes before drive off
Aircon temp set to 23c and recirculation mode
Flush coolant and refill with fresh RO water and BMW coolant

Was 16l/100km after all that done now it's 9l/100km on highway 11l/100km KL average 30km/h

Your full tank should give you 450km for RM100

Good luck bro

anaksarawak;811231 said:
What works for me are

Replace fuel filter
New spark plugs and coils
Air filter
Lique moly jet clean
Gearbox aft change
Engine oil flush and changed to 0-40 fully syn
Use petronas ron95
Only drive my car for 3 minutes before drive off
Aircon temp set to 23c and recirculation mode
Flush coolant and refill with fresh RO water and BMW coolant

Was 16l/100km after all that done now it's 9l/100km on highway 11l/100km KL average 30km/h

Your full tank should give you 450km for RM100

Good luck bro

hmm..... will try everything one by one bro.... have to do my next service in around 2 weeks time.... will try to chnage my spark plugs and all the filters.... thanks bro.. will let u noe my result later

Just recorded 9.9L/100KM last weekend. 80% highway and 20% town/city driving. Average speed on highway is about 150 km/h. Lowest recorded so far during my ownership is 9.2L/100KM. Fuel is Petronas RON95 with fuel filter, plugs, and ignition coils replaced less than 10k km ago.

Top Bottom