petrol ron 95 or 97 for my 520i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

david72

Hi Guys.. i just booked a 520i premium selection car year 2013.. waiting to be deliver soon.... just wonder should i go for ron 95 or ron 97.. ? thank you

in some parts of the world,ron 91 is considered regular and 95 is premium.

look on the inside of the petrol filler door,there will be a sticker to say the min ron .

my car ('97 528i) requires minimum ron 91....so ron 95 is completely acceptable

The regular unleaded fuel for Americans is rated at AKI89 or equivalent for RON91. What we got here at RON95 is the good stuff. Been using for 2 years now. No problems

If you want better feel of course 97. But 95 will work fine. The dme will know how to adjust and control it. It's actually a very intelligent thing

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Has any one encounter this situation , when using Ron 97 my rpm is 0.8k but on Ron 95 my rpm gauge show 1k . Puzzle about this ? . Can somebody anybody share some light upon this matter .

Long long story - from experience - it runs better with 97. I find our DME over compensates when switch to 95 . Causing weird transmission shifts points. This will eventually smoothen out - until the next time you switch petrol.

So, from 2 years of ownership - I can tell you if you decide 97 - stick to it, 95 also stick to it. The moment you force the car to adapt, it gets all weird. Also, running outstation once in a while really sorts the car out.

FYI, the opinion above is personal - and not based on "feel" alone . I do monitor the adaptations value via INPA or ISTA.

The only way to sort out the "weird" shift points is to do a transmission adaptation reset via INPA and also to reset some DME adaptations value.

Speaking of petrol ron95, I'm quite happy with Caltex, Petron and BHP but not so much Shell. Anyone share the same findings? This is based on pedal feel alone, nothing scientific at all.

our fuel has high sulphur content which causes problem with direct injection engine. not sure whether the sulphur content is the same for ron95 and ron97.

gimli said:
our fuel has high sulphur content which causes problem with direct injection engine. not sure whether the sulphur content is the same for ron95 and ron97.
Going into boost helps with the blow-by issues.
Hence, sometimes a long distance journey sorts things out. (Assume from engine properly heating up)
Also consider semi-solutions such as Seafoam, or LiquiMoly Jetronic treatments.
Last resort, overhaul.

Hi guys . ... been using ron 95 milleage only about 500km then i change to ron 97..car more powerful and milleage about 700km ...

david72 said:
Hi guys . ... been using ron 95 milleage only about 500km then i change to ron 97..car more powerful and milleage about 700km ...
You get what you paid for. Though more expensive than 95, 97 gives a better mileage per litre of fuel especially on highway travel. In addition, 97 gives you a better and quicker response.

ray27 said:
It's okay to switch between Ron 95 and Ron 97 periodically ?
Same question ...is it ok to switch between the 2 periodically ?

Top Bottom