overhaul

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

MKMD428

Club Guest
hello all...i'm new in this forum and in the bmw world..just bought myself a bmw E30 1990...my question is what is the estimate cost of doing an overhaul to this engine? can anyone enlight me pls...the engine looks like this (its not my engine bay pic)
Image088.jpg

overhaul

overhauling ur eng is gonna cost u alot,y dont u just dump in the m42 twin cam 16v eng,better torque n power.There is 1 for sale at the classied section

m42 is a 1.8 also right......mmmm anyway, can u tell me how much the cost of overhaulin'

the rough figures to overhaul an m40 engine

Cam -- rm 600 ++
lifter and rockers 400 ++
skimming and so on 300 ++
valve's 450 +++
others labour , engine oil , filters , plugs etc ---- rm 500

therefore you're looking somewhere at rm 2K +++

well this quote is a rough estimated figure only ... could be more or less depends on what is the wear and tear of ya engine ....

anyway why wanna overhaul ... clean looking engine you have there ...

Whats the problem ?

the rough figures to overhaul an m40 engine

Cam -- rm 600 ++
lifter and rockers 400 ++
skimming and so on 300 ++
valve's 450 +++
others labour , engine oil , filters , plugs etc ---- rm 500

therefore you're looking somewhere at rm 2K +++

well this quote is a rough estimated figure only ... could be more or less depends on what is the wear and tear of ya engine ....

anyway why wanna overhaul ... clean looking engine you have there ...

Whats the problem ?

thanks for the info ICEMAN.......
well, may be u didn't notice at the 1st post that the engine bay pic is not mine....
the reason for asking this question is because i have no experience on continental cars...just bought a BMW E30 1990 4 doors...

just for the sake of knowledge friend....as i am used with Japanese cars...
its a dream come true owning a BMW..

You have two options of overhaul. One is top overhaul and the other is FULL overhaul.

I did the top overhaul to my E36 M40, about 1K Parts + Labour. That was almost 1 year plus ago. If you go for full overhaul, it can go up to 2-3k depending what you change.

Depending what you want, if you just a normal daily driver or who wants reliability, a top/full overhaul would be your path. But if you are passionate owner who wants more from the e30 or m40, you can got the M42 path but it's a transplant. Transplant will never get things perfect like original.

Also, E30M40 is not a car nor engine to be look down. If you do up your engine like new, it would be a pleasure to drive and to own.

Good luck

Top Bottom