O2 sensors - what do they do????

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
From Mr. Wiki :

"Normally, the lifetime of an unheated sensor is about 30,000 to 50,000 miles (50,000 to 80,000 km). Heated sensor lifetime is typically 100,000 miles (160,000 km). Failure of an unheated sensor is usually caused by the buildup of soot on the ceramic element, which lengthens its response time and may cause total loss of ability to sense oxygen. For heated sensors, normal deposits are burned off during operation and failure occurs due to catalyst depletion. The probe then tends to report lean mixture, the ECU enriches the mixture, the exhaust gets rich with carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons, and the fuel economy worsens.

Symptoms of a failing oxygen sensor includes:
Sensor Light on dash indicates problem

- Increased tailpipe emissions
- Increased fuel consumption
- Hesitation on acceleration
- Stalling
- Rough idling"

My FC still around the same compare to last time. I think i will wait for a while and monitor further to see whether i need to change them or not (not cheap to replace them tho).

bmw7833;622422 said:
My FC still around the same compare to last time. I think i will wait for a while and monitor further to see whether i need to change them or not (not cheap to replace them tho).

My case just like u but my millage already 160k+, what is your millage bro ?

Alex5522;622424 said:
My case just like u but my millage already 160k+, what is your millage bro ?

Now clock on 220K+.

Bought her over when 120K+.

bmw7833;622422 said:

I hear a group buy in the works ;)

why wait another day , lets do the group buy? If the ex-owner did not change which I suspect, mine are 140+K, time to change.
Though they tested ok voltage wise, but I have yet to find a way to test the response time of the sensors. Ideally, the signals of the sensors are to flunctuate within 0-1 V range at the rate of about 10 times a second.

Top Bottom