New E90 320i - question on accelerator

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chris1

Club Guest
Hi,A simple question from a newbie to BMW - my 1 week old 320i seems kinda sluggish at low speeds e.g. below 2k rpm & the accelerator seems stiff (getting ankle cramps pressing on the peddle), but once I push it a little further the car seems to take on a different character & opens up beautifully. There seems to be no middle ground i.e. you either chug along slowly & sluggishly or you power up. Is this a typical experience with other new owners as well?Chris

This looks like a question for bro bimmer910...
He got plenty2 miles on his 320i already :eek:

danc;257330 said:
Chris,

Sounds like your engine needs a little more run-in.

Agreed Dan.

Paddle response seems to be closely tied with the running in of the engine. The more miles you chalk up, the less sluggish it gets. Dont worry about the lag.

Ironically, im feeling it too as the car inches its way towards the 6 figure mileage mark :)

Chris, you will also feel the steering is somewhat heavy @ slow speeds, but remarkably responsive @ higher speeds. This is only a feature of the 320 and not the 325 however. SO get used to it :top:

chris1, my E90 320i is coming close to 15k kms and it's a joy driving it as the mileage builds up :)

Btw, I assume the different steering response of the 320i is because of the absence of Active Steering?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like i just need to drive the car more :burnout: I'm just a lil' too used to my old Camry where i used to just cruise along slowly. Need to change my driving character a bit to suit the car.

Chris

chris1;257374 said:
Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks like i just need to drive the car more :burnout: I'm just a lil' too used to my old Camry where i used to just cruise along slowly. Need to change my driving character a bit to suit the car.

Chris

The car comes alive when it is pushed! Remember : A car is to be driven, not pampered! (Famous quote from our sifu eeric).:rock:

I agree with bmFIVE. You're not in a Camry anymore chris1. Yes, change your driving character to do justice to the mighty 3-series please. Alternate rapidly between pushing the accelerator pedal and brake pedal to the floor. That's how this car is supposed to be driven! :rock:

Btw, I assume the different steering response of the 320i is because of the absence of Active Steering?[/QUOTE]

Not really favor the active stearing. being driving the 5series for a few day before getting my new ride. the ladies may like it. :burnout:

I don't miss having the active steering on the 325i sports. It is an individual preference thing but I don't feel the steering for 325i at low speed is heavy. It is just nice and I think with active steering it would feel lighter at low speed.

If I am not mistaken, active steering does not increase/decrease the feeling of weight of the steering. It just changes the steering ratio. So not sure why people associate acgtive steering to the "weight" of the steering.

Dan,
With active steering (325), steering ratio is higher. Therefore, at lower speed, you require less movement, which perhaps leads to a less noticeable feeling of weight.

Without active steering (320), steering ratio being lower, so @ low speeds, the road feel is heavier.

Steering ratio low : more turning @ the steering = less turning @ the wheels

Comments ??

Agree 910 to certain extend, that needing to turn more may equate to more "effort" but heavy steering is all in the power steering assistance and not active steer. Just my tots ;)

Actually higher ratio means less turning movement but more turning effort required. Think gearing - like using higher gear.

And I believe there is higher power boost as well as the higher ratio at low speeds. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

I like my Sports the way it is without active steering - a real MAN's car. ;)

Finally, this is a thread about heavy accelerator pedal. heavy steering is another thread guys. :)

Talking about heavy accelerator, even the 325i seems to 'hesitate' a little bit in delivery when you floor the pedal. I have not been able to get a smooth power delivery from the 325i. There seems to be a small gap, for example, in quick change in lanes during slow heavy traffic. Then the power comes on and it is incredibly smooth and good from there on. Is it just me or my car only?

peanut;258107 said:
Talking about heavy accelerator, even the 325i seems to 'hesitate' a little bit in delivery when you floor the pedal. I have not been able to get a smooth power delivery from the 325i. There seems to be a small gap, for example, in quick change in lanes during slow heavy traffic. Then the power comes on and it is incredibly smooth and good from there on. Is it just me or my car only?

I remember this has been discussed before. Not sure under which thread. If I remember well, this so called "hesitate" a little bit in delivery is quite normal :rolleyes:

Yeah DY, but I can't remember what was the reason postulated by our Ultimate Sifu. Was it traction control?

Speaking of KL2DC, what's happened to him Mr President? Has he jumped ship and bought a C-class or A4? :eek:

Haven't seen him log in for a long long time. The last we met was when he was back here for a week. We came out for a simple lunch then.

Hehehe.... maybe he jumped ship!

David Yong;258125 said:
I remember this has been discussed before. Not sure under which thread. If I remember well, this so called "hesitate" a little bit in delivery is quite normal :rolleyes:

But I recall the discussion was on sluggish start from stop and not so much while moving and require a quick change of speed.

Top Bottom