New 520i,528i engines : Presentation and Test Drive Cocktail party:Quill PJ

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Happy viewing bros, and happy buying the new F10s! Field report please, after the event!

Thank you to Quill PJ for hosting us and all of you who attended the event this afternoon!
Test drive reports, please.....

Hope you all had fun today! cafee bro bought the 520i a few days back, taking delivery of his car day after tomorrow. I have to say the 520i and the 520d are very closely matched when it comes to performance now. Both are fun and a JOY to drive now!

Thanks Doc for organizing this event.. nice to see new friends and old ones...

Thanks to Quill for taking this initiating to let us sample this new cars.. wonderful !!
Even the MD was around to welcome us and further discount on some merchandise on sale !!
Wish that others who were on the waiting list should have come, cos quite a number FFK.

My report on the 520d and the 528i as i wasn't keen on the 520i.

520d, as usual was very torquey and can feel some slight G's when floored., spec's is good and the 4 mode of ride can be somewhat confusing as there is many choices, but i believe, once you have it, you will only play with 2 at least. the Sport+ is less bumpy than the 320d sport and responsiveness of the throttle, steering, suspension and engine is all very different form each mode as Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ .
I like the Sport+ most, as i would be only driving alone daily. but not very harsh during my drive in PJ's badly surface roads. Fast roads is very nice, the car just goes and goes....by the way, once you are driving, the car is very agile and you feel like in the e30 !!

528i M Sport

hate the stop/go function, upsets the feel !! and furthermore, the AC switches to higher temperature !!... lucky there is a off switch at the start/stop button.
engine even the higher 245hp's than the 520d's is not convincing and the torque of the diesel is far more better !! 380 versus 350 in the 528.
No feeling of any G's , just that feel the car's rev's built up till 7000rpm and can't remember what gears to play with ? 8 speed with the paddle shift is a handful. but i think, with the daily drive, you will leave it alone. The head's up display is good to have. The car had less than 1000km on the clock. With the Msport model which was tested, the Sport+ was much better than the 520d non Msport. More sharper response and much harder suspension and steering feel.

Overall, both cars are nice and the price difference, 410k and 360k is quite a difference for the 528i and 520i, and my pick will be the diesel,as it is 333k and performance better than the 520i !! more torque, that's what you need on the B roads...highway ? just cruise la...
528i, unless you have money, buy it. but i rather buy a inline 6 engine with some topping up of money.

Thanks once again Doc.

mine turn , thanks bro docrayboy for organizing the event.

Event review :
It was great but was thought to have a engine / technical introduction but did not happen or i was out doing test drive maybe ? based on earlier planing

the car,

i was lucky because i sign up to test drive 520i but end up test both back 2 back thanks to SA Alex,
Now i own a f10 520d so my review can be on all 3 car except 535i . and i am using BUTT DYNO no real fact and figure , i did not time it or anything

520i
performance :
Torque based on paper was available from 1250 rpm onwards because of twin scroll , but when i drive it in Sport mode ( chassis and drive train ) i felt the power/ torque only come in after 3000+ more or less around 4/5k rpm. it was a strange thing to see again after converted to oil burner when i see the rpm reach 7/8k before change gear. also 1st time i tried comfort+ and i tried to floor it the RPM max at 3 only and change gear to prevent sudden acceleration

Sound :
the Petrol potter is quieter than my 520d 4 potter. the chattering sound is there but lower tone , unlike 520d which i call it sound like lorry ;). a "+" here over 520d

consumption :
no need to compare lar , 520d win every time even sport mode also guilt free . so no comment

feature :
Auto stop start is there but a little bit irritating can be turn off on demand . if turn off the 6.4/l will not be achievable . IAS is there nothing to shout about.

528i

Performance :
again 2 mode confort and sport ( chasis and drivetrain ) , responsive of engine is there , torque / power is available at 3k rpm not like 520i which i felt lag. much more driver oriented car and aggressive. agreed with bro pussy the paddleshift in this case because of 8 gear is more or less to help you drop gear. too much gear to play around.

Sound :
same like 520i not much chattering . acceptable . performance sound much better than 520i , this was agreed by the group in my test drive. i asked the sa is it like M5 with built in sound to fake the roar.

consumption
worst

feature : 528i come with additional HUD display cool but sometime weird especially for specky like me , i tend to focus on the hud too much. VDO display is half LCD unlike 520i and 520d only quarter lcd. M body kit and 18" wheel. M sport trim , Msport seat and Steering wheel . so the 49k over 520i is worth it. I drive have additional function

overall summary

all 520i / 520d / 528i are fine car but really depend on what you want.

520i good all rounder ( urban driving /non performance ) sound decent unlike 520d lorry . ( tai tai car )
520d urban performance ( with so much torque , need i say more overtake in start stop traffic is a breeze ) ( daily driving )
528i Good highway car ( soo much toy and you get m sport kit ) , the 18 inch on sport plus is too harsh compare with 17" of 520. maybe change RFT it be better.

for me i stick with my 520D cuz after test drive that 2 beuty i love my diesel more ! , if you want performance non stop guilt free -> 520d , will get either vector / hartge / ac / chipexpress ECU when my warranty expired . cuz 528 remind me of what a remap of ECU can do your car ;)

if undecided between 520i and 528i , get 528 the 49k different of 528 is worth it because officially Mkit + wheel cost more than that

drove the 528i msport and immediately i already missed the sound of 6 pots on the previous 528i. the accelaration is good and on par with the 6 cylinder model. love the fat steering wheel and HUD.
OBC fuel consumption was 21 L /100km but this figure is expected because most of the drivers surely test the accelaration kaw kaw.

overall, after the test drive, i went back home with 520d back and instantly naughty grin on my face. i prefer super low end torque. :)

thanks to docrayboy for organizing this event and awesome people i've met.

To those who have bought their new ride, Congrats! This is my first post in this forum, would like to ask is there any special promotion for CNY for 520d? (priced at 333k)
What are the interest rate for financing, and how long do you have to wait before your car is delivered and ready for pick up..

Thanks everyone

dark1234;706344 said:
mine turn , thanks bro docrayboy for organizing the event.

Event review :
It was great but was thought to have a engine / technical introduction but did not happen or i was out doing test drive maybe ? based on earlier planing

the car,

i was lucky because i sign up to test drive 520i but end up test both back 2 back thanks to SA Alex,
Now i own a f10 520d so my review can be on all 3 car except 535i . and i am using BUTT DYNO no real fact and figure , i did not time it or anything

520i
performance :
Torque based on paper was available from 1250 rpm onwards because of twin scroll , but when i drive it in Sport mode ( chassis and drive train ) i felt the power/ torque only come in after 3000+ more or less around 4/5k rpm. it was a strange thing to see again after converted to oil burner when i see the rpm reach 7/8k before change gear. also 1st time i tried comfort+ and i tried to floor it the RPM max at 3 only and change gear to prevent sudden acceleration

Sound :
the Petrol potter is quieter than my 520d 4 potter. the chattering sound is there but lower tone , unlike 520d which i call it sound like lorry ;). a "+" here over 520d

consumption :
no need to compare lar , 520d win every time even sport mode also guilt free . so no comment

feature :
Auto stop start is there but a little bit irritating can be turn off on demand . if turn off the 6.4/l will not be achievable . IAS is there nothing to shout about.

528i

Performance :
again 2 mode confort and sport ( chasis and drivetrain ) , responsive of engine is there , torque / power is available at 3k rpm not like 520i which i felt lag. much more driver oriented car and aggressive. agreed with bro pussy the paddleshift in this case because of 8 gear is more or less to help you drop gear. too much gear to play around.

Sound :
same like 520i not much chattering . acceptable . performance sound much better than 520i , this was agreed by the group in my test drive. i asked the sa is it like M5 with built in sound to fake the roar.

consumption
worst

feature : 528i come with additional HUD display cool but sometime weird especially for specky like me , i tend to focus on the hud too much. VDO display is half LCD unlike 520i and 520d only quarter lcd. M body kit and 18" wheel. M sport trim , Msport seat and Steering wheel . so the 49k over 520i is worth it. I drive have additional function

overall summary

all 520i / 520d / 528i are fine car but really depend on what you want.

520i good all rounder ( urban driving /non performance ) sound decent unlike 520d lorry . ( tai tai car )
520d urban performance ( with so much torque , need i say more overtake in start stop traffic is a breeze ) ( daily driving )
528i Good highway car ( soo much toy and you get m sport kit ) , the 18 inch on sport plus is too harsh compare with 17" of 520. maybe change RFT it be better.

for me i stick with my 520D cuz after test drive that 2 beuty i love my diesel more ! , if you want performance non stop guilt free -> 520d , will get either vector / hartge / ac / chipexpress ECU when my warranty expired . cuz 528 remind me of what a remap of ECU can do your car ;)

if undecided between 520i and 528i , get 528 the 49k different of 528 is worth it because officially Mkit + wheel cost more than that

Well-written dark1234! It was my pleasure helping to organise the event!

Roland tells us that the new F30 will be in by March-let's do another cocktail party with Quill PJ-let's do a 320d vs 320i vs 328i shoot-out!

90% of the 5 series cars sold in the UK are the 520d-read this month's review of the new 528i in TG Malaysia magazine.

I loved everything about the F10 new 528i but only one thing they missed, engine braking is not there when i downshift...too smooth :(

YaZmEeN;706424 said:
I loved everything about the F10 new 528i but only one thing they missed, engine braking is not there when i downshift...too smooth :(

yup, there is the 6 cylinder missing which bmw tries very hard to work with the 4 pots...

by the way, on the way back with my V8, the 'JOY' came back to me !!....super torque..

managed to take the 520i out for a spin with nitedevil. the new N20 engine is actually quite impressive for a petrol 4 potter.
quite responsive, though as with all turbo mounted engines, the lag when stamping down on the accelerator is apparent. however once you've got it going, the power delivery and gearshifts with the 8 cogs on the F10 makes it quite a smooth ride. IAS didn't make to much difference to me, and the 4 zone climate control was just OK for me when sitting at the back and didn't really feel like it made a difference when i was mucking around with it when enjoying being chauffeur driven by nitedevil. do not like the skinny steering wheel, which was a gripe we all also had with the 520d earlier. thick grippy sport steerings FTW!

while it does not have the kick of its diesel brother, 270Nm is not a shabby figure. but wait...the 3point star CGI200 also does 270Nms (with a 1.8l) and the four ring 1.8tsi is at 250Nm. Sigh...looks like playing catch-up to me, unfortunately. BUT WAIT...the N20 is also tunable (heh heh), so that's future potential for the car after the warranty's over and the true modding fun begins.

all in all, i do think this baseline 520i petrol model F10 will do well, and the dealers definitely also believe so, based on the number of cars they've brought in and how quickly they seem to be moving. the first batch is CBU for now, and at rm25k more than the 520d, would be an automatic choice for those looking for entry level petrols in the 5 series range, and have not yet made the quantum leap towards diesel.

thanks docrayboy for setting this up, and a big shout out of thanks to Quill for hosting the session and for the doorgift. Looking forward to the next session with the F30's :4:

Thank you very much for organising the test drive Doc ... Much appreciated! :top: Thanks to BMW Quill for hosting the event and was kind enough to provide the delicious snacks/refreshment and the test cars :top:

P/s: A very special thanks to the SA for changing the gears for me :4: LOL

Top Bottom