Need URGENT HELP!! anyone have experience cooler problem?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Mr_Syahir_Ismail

Club Guest
hye allrecently i check my radiotor and found out there is a milky oil in it. so after using "google" to see if other have experience the same problem like mine. i dismantle the radiotor and see the problem myself. below is the pic of what is happening. if not mistaken i think the cooler radiator is the problem becuase that is the only part where water and oil can mix if the radiator cracks.. please correct me if im wrong... is it possible if i pour in the radiotor filler for cracks? or shud i change the atf cooler radiator?tahnksView attachment 24865View attachment 24866View attachment 24867View attachment 24868

Syahir Ismail, the teh tarik symptoms caused by mixing of oil and water. Transmission oil cooler is not the only place this can happen, the other place is inside the engine.

Do you experience other problems like transmission issues, overheating..?

What model is this ride.. and model year?

hye aidilj
ive check the engine oil but no water in it. so im positive that its not related to engine problem.
from what i see the tek tarik is from the ATF oil.
no overheating issue but transmission issu yes but a bit.
ive check the ATF oil level and its low. and the engine oil level and its normal.

im not sure about my car since i just bought it. but what its a 318i e46. and i didnt ask what year :p sorry!

Mr_Syahir_Ismail;746611 said:
hye aidilj
ive check the engine oil but no water in it. so im positive that its not related to engine problem.
from what i see the tek tarik is from the ATF oil.
no overheating issue but transmission issu yes but a bit.
ive check the ATF oil level and its low. and the engine oil level and its normal.

im not sure about my car since i just bought it. but what its a 318i e46. and i didnt ask what year :p sorry!

Syahir Ismail, please do not the drive/start the car and get it towed to a renown BMW workshop close to you. This is a serious problem and do not take it lightly. If oil can get into the radiator it can also get into the transmission, the transmission need oil to run not water.

If you just bought the car, do contact whoever that sold it for guarantee claim.

thanks bro for the advise.
for now im seeking a way to DIY the problem. if anyone can confirm if the ATF cooler is the problem then i will change the thing. and wash the radioator....

Mr_Syahir_Ismail;746613 said:
thanks bro for the advise.
for now im seeking a way to DIY the problem. if anyone can confirm if the ATF cooler is the problem then i will change the thing. and wash the radioator....

The heat exchanger could be the problem, I haven't any experience in debugging this so not sure. Maybe look for cracks or any sign of part failure at both the heat exchanger and radiator..
Anyway, after you found the culprit may also want to flush the ATF as it may be contaminated.

aidilj;746614 said:
The heat exchanger could be the problem, I haven't any experience in debugging this so not sure. Maybe look for cracks or any sign of part failure at both the heat exchanger and radiator..
Anyway, after you found the culprit may also want to flush the ATF as it may be contaminated.

thank you my friend..
yes. i also think i have to flush the ATF after this problem is settle.
but if the heat exchanger have crack i think the cracks would be inside it isnt?

Mr_Syahir_Ismail;746615 said:
thank you my friend..
yes. i also think i have to flush the ATF after this problem is settle.
but if the heat exchanger have crack i think the cracks would be inside it isnt?

Yeah, I was thinking to test it you have to disconnect the oil lines and apply pressure on the water side and see if there's any leak.

On mine, this device is not used after conversion and left disconnected.

IMG_4306.jpg

yes sure.. im thinking on disconnect the oil pipe from the heat exchanger (bypass) but i dont know how to connect the 2 oil pipes together. should i custom made teh extension? or is there any available gadjet on sale? if i can bypass the iol pipes then it will be easier for me to test the heat exchanger for leak.. any ideas?

Mr_Syahir_Ismail;746618 said:
yes sure.. im thinking on disconnect the oil pipe from the heat exchanger (bypass) but i dont know how to connect the 2 oil pipes together. should i custom made teh extension? or is there any available gadjet on sale? if i can bypass the iol pipes then it will be easier for me to test the heat exchanger for leak.. any ideas?

The heat exchanger is used for both heating and cooling the ATF. Bypassing it would lose its function, you should at least replace with air cooled one like in e39/e36.

I suggest just disconnect the oil lines and test the part on your bench by simulating pressure on the water line by supplying water at the inlet and restricting the outlet.

If you see teh tarik when disconnecting the oil line, then it's confirmed already it's the heat exchanger right? That's the only place water and ATF could mix

after diy and do the troubleshootingi can now confirm the culprit is the heat exchanger unit. so just need to replace the unit and get the ATF system flush and replaced with new oil... 1 problem is settle now i have to figure out how to flush the whole ATF system.. lol anyone have done it DIY ?

Am having the same problem; but instead of teh tarik im having yoguhrt, clear thick white in the radiator. So thick that even the radiator water level stick wont pop up! Mine is a M54B22 E60.

Garu kepala now thinking of what is wrong. Maybe will drain engine oil tmrw to see if there are traces of oil.

bmcaz;748230 said:
Am having the same problem; but instead of teh tarik im having yoguhrt, clear thick white in the radiator. So thick that even the radiator water level stick wont pop up! Mine is a M54B22 E60.

Garu kepala now thinking of what is wrong. Maybe will drain engine oil tmrw to see if there are traces of oil.

bro
1st check your engine oil and see if its also got that ygurt cream. and does your engine oil drained. if not then it has nothing related to engine oil. and confirm its your heat exchanger unit . its a cooler metal box thingy for cooling your gearbox oil.

Top Bottom