My observation on lowering springs.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by The Necessary@Dec 9 2005, 05:24 PM
But, Fabian, if the springs cannot take the weight of the car, regardless of what shocker/damper you are using, something must be desperately wrong leh...? You sure it's a 4 cylinder engine you have up front ah?
Maybe the Supercharger is a bit heavy....

still in opinion that a bumpstop should not support the weight of a car.....am sure you know rubber wun last too long doing that!

see the chart above....

what's the total height of the Titan compared to the Bilsteins?
If its shorter, as per Necc, this would actually compress the springs further, making it extra stiff, and lower per normal

so the bumpstop will definitely be compressed and thus its life span reduced, or maybe it won't be effective at all

lastly i think because of its inverted design, a matching spring design, rate and length should be installed with it, and not Eibachs

Fabs,
you didn't mention if you changed the rear combos or not, all thses while what was the rear setup, and changes made when you did this swap? as i recall, if rears are tilted abit, the front will be compressed

what's the total height of the Titan compared to the Bilsteins?
If its shorter, as per Necc, this would actually compress the springs further, making it extra stiff, and lower per normal

so the bumpstop will definitely be compressed and thus its life span reduced, or maybe it won't be effective at all
The Titan is shorter stroke but that doesn't cause it to compress further, does it? And there's no bumpstop with the Titan+Eibach combo. There is one but it's installed inside the strut housing

lastly i think because of its inverted design, a matching spring design, rate and length should be installed with it, and not Eibachs
Isn't the Bilstein Sport inverted tube design? And that it can match with the Eibach prokit? Or am I wrong here? Or there is a thick bumpstop installed internally in the Bilstein sport to counter the soft spring rate? Why did Eibach use such a soft spring rate. I noticed that the E39 front Eibach springs are pretty soft too. Also seem to be depending on the bumpstop for the 'progressive' feel.

Fabs,
you didn't mention if you changed the rear combos or not, all thses while what was the rear setup, and changes made when you did this swap? as i recall, if rears are tilted abit, the front will be compressed
No change in the rear setup. rear ride height is maintained. I know if the rear lifts, the front will dip.

bilstein has 2 types of design

monotubes and twin tubes
monotubes has a damper inside the strut, i believe Titan had the same, the twin is a conventional design, but bilstein madeseveral advancement, so mostly in the market its the twin tube design

think very likely the E30s got the twintube design because of the size of the struts, looking further, the bumpstop does correspond to the design of the absorbers and not the springs

if the titans were not matched for the 4 pots weight, you may have had a higher rebound rate compared to the lower dmapening ratess, making the mismatch either too soft, or too harsh, basically the bumpstop did take some of the shock, but the overall rates may not be matched proper making the handling off......

Hey guys, i need some advice on my suspension. I'm planning to lower my suspension soon..and changing my front absorbers cos they're a bit too soft..im on Monroe absorbers on the rear
how much shud i lower my car? any recommendations ? just wanna lower it enough for a smooth city drive and all..to be able to cross speed bumps too..
my front suspension is soft that when u drive on an uneven surface, the mudguard will scrape the road and it's getting on my nerves and when i corner at a certain speed, it feels like the car is tilting to the point that it's about to flip. guess i'll be taking off the mudguard once i lower my car~ hope im not too long-winded here..haha..

p.s Can someone interpret the chart for me ? thanks!

All comments are welcomed~

Top Bottom