My E39... Sighhhh....

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

kian_e34

Club Guest
Hi all,Need your opinion.. Bought an E39 last year and the car was soooo good to drive. Never felt a car can feel like an extension of the soul... And this year, transmission kaput maybe due to transmission oil leaking and didnt check. Had it rebuilt instead of swap. Then the oil cooler kaput also about 1 month after repair (with customer inside), embarrassing to say the least. You can still see the oil trace from the Glomac entrance at Kelana Jaya all the way to the 1st house on the left of the T-junction..:hmmmm2:My unit : E39, 520i, 2001/2.. Serviced by WP earlier but later sent to S&K in OUG due to proximity to office. And now, obviously the engine decided to say it wants an offday too. Water was disappearing from the radiator and the gauge went to the opposite end within minutes, even after toppingup with water (mind you, the water was put in after engine cooled).Before that, engine oil just disappeared too after 3 weeks, but when i put in about 3l of oil, level was ok again at the max. So it wasn't really empty, but it shouldn't happen either. So maybe i was having engine oil burn prior to water loss?So now, do i get the engine overhauled, or get another engine in? I would like to get a 2.5l lump inside but really depends on the cost. Was told by my mechanic, this engine will cost about RM9k half-cut (not including labour). I have already spent about RM10k on this (UDM) Ultimate Draining Monster...:102:Your opinion or previous experiences are highly appreciated. I am at wits end now. Really thinking of selling it off and get a "safe and boring" X-trail.So what should i do? The mechanic is competent but all these constant breakdowns is making me very worried. thanking in advance. Hoping for your most valued feedback..

bro....get a used m54b25.let yr trusted mech get one for you but make sure the used engine history is known la....and maybe get the mileage done on it(if at all it's possible).520 slow ler.x shiok oooo.

it will take a bit of time and inconvenience to have this done till all is ok again but it will be worth it.the silky smooth ride....yummy....!

an x trail.....r u serious.

One of the forummer by the name of Zidee used an E34 previously, sold that to get an X-Trail. Sold that too and got himself an E39. So you see where I'm going with this..

You don't need a full 525 half cut for the conversion. As long as you're driving a M54B22 (520i), you just need the B25 engine for the conversion.

528i is backward to M52/M52TU already. 530i engine cost is not for the faint hearted. Also from 520i to 530i he's in for some shock.

You need to determined what is wrong with your engine. Warped head? cracked block and/or head? If that's the case, find a M54b25 kosong and install it. Make sure you change all the necessary wear and tear too. After that I think your car is good to go since you have fixed all the major problems.

kumsia kumsia!! so fast got so many replies!!
wah, my review about my opel years back needed 1 year to get a reply..

to all the sifus,

i am not a speed guy and a 3litre will only do if it is a Toyota Supra 1JZ, but
this BMW is a car that rewards with every press of the accelerator, commands
the respect for the thought put into designing the car, pleasures the soul of
the driver and on and on.... It never fails to make me delirious just from the smell
of the leather... :adore:

Seewai sifu,

u mean i just have to dump in the lump just like that? No need to worry about
harness, ecu, intake/exhaust manifolds, etc, etc...? Like that better to just go
ahead and get a good condition engine yah?

I will check with the Sg Besi chop shop tomorow then... Wonder how much it will cost.
Hmmm...

:driver:

kian,
just changed mine last year.from M54b22 to M54b25,solved the engine oil n water disappearing problem (old engine done 313k KM ).
cost of the used engine RM4500, labour RM800.just a simple job.
hope that help.

If you are driving with M54 under your hood go back go for M54B25 you do not need half cut. you need the complete engine with the injectors, Air Flow, manifold. if possible gear box (since you have rebuilt the gearbox if not mistaken still can be used), exhaust and final drive (optional). the M54 ECU chips can be reprogrammed unlike M52. I completely understand how you feel i felt the same when it happen to me 2 years ago. I had a hairline crack on my cyclinder head of my M54B25. Due to the cooling system failling after hitting a dog. I wanted to stroke the engine but my mechanic advise me to get a M54B30 engine and I did exactly that. cost me around RM14K all in including gearbox oil filter and engine lubricants, i am still running my 2.5 GB, exhaust and final drive. 2.5 complete full engine should cost about RM5K or slightly more. will PM you my mobile we can go to the the corner chop shop in chan sow lin and see Ah Choon. I got my engine from him his parts very reliable. If 2.0 engine kosong RM3K maybe can get

after upgrade go to puspakom padang jawa and tell them (mau tukar no engine sahaja, register with JPJ and still pay 2 liter road tax don't forget to bring AP). hehehehe

I did my transplant at Bestness in ara d'sara subang 2 weeks car back on the road.

My thread when my engine kaput
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?27779-E39-Overheating

Just remembered, there is one E39 520i May 2001 halfcut in HakiTrade Subang if you still want to keep the 2.2 engine, for your info. VIN GZ32216. Price might be more competitive if budget is tight.

But we sure hope you'd go for the B25 though!

Bro,

I had been driving B22 auto between Feb 2008 and Sep 2010. Then my mechanic found a good B25 engine on Sep 2010 and then began my adventure.

From B22 auto to B25 manual is already too "shock" for me to handle. So I presume, for you, there's no need to go B30 as there'll be much more hardware swapping/replacement involved and you definately need a gearbox with this kind of conversion. All in all, it'd cost much more than a V8 conversion (for totally awesomeness shockness) FYI if you really wanna go THERE, get the running V8 posted in mudah for RM30k, the rest is self explanatory.........

If you are a manual guy, I strongly recommend a B25 manual. In case of doubt, PM me for test drive appointment.

Cheers,
seewai

Errr...RM30k for the engine is probably too much because you're paying for the whole car. I met a guy in Optimum who bought a 540 halfcut and installed it to his car...about RM20k all in including installation and other stuffs.

He already said B25 was enough for him though.

Bro, RM30k is for the entire running 540i w/o paper. It's no longer "engine swap" but "car swap".

I believe RM20k is only the halfcut, if it's the red V8 you're referring to, excluding manual conversion and replacing most wear n tear parts and reconditioned certain parts.

Yup I totally support converting to B25 for its straightforwardness.

haywire;671049 said:
Errr...RM30k for the engine is probably too much because you're paying for the whole car. I met a guy in Optimum who bought a 540 halfcut and installed it to his car...about RM20k all in including installation and other stuffs.

He already said B25 was enough for him though.

i also have the thinking to swap my engine to M54B30 from my current M54B22. only thing i worry is after swapping will create lots of problem. another thing is my current engine is in very good condition. if swap it out sangat sayang.

btw, anyone here and give any indication for my situation if i done the swapping is it very trouble ? also can i still pay my 2.2cc roadtax?

sewell;671379 said:
i also have the thinking to swap my engine to M54B30 from my current M54B22. only thing i worry is after swapping will create lots of problem. another thing is my current engine is in very good condition. if swap it out sangat sayang.

btw, anyone here and give any indication for my situation if i done the swapping is it very trouble ? also can i still pay my 2.2cc roadtax?

You'll have to declare it to JPJ and then pay the 3liter road tax. Have to inform your insurance company as well and probably need to top up the premium. Of course you can do it senyap senyap but anything happen to your car, insurance tak layan.

Yeow;671413 said:
You'll have to declare it to JPJ and then pay the 3liter road tax. Have to inform your insurance company as well and probably need to top up the premium. Of course you can do it senyap senyap but anything happen to your car, insurance tak layan.

is that anyway can upgrade the engine to 3.0 while still paying 2.2 roadtax? or declare to JPJ is a batter option?

sewell;671438 said:
is that anyway can upgrade the engine to 3.0 while still paying 2.2 roadtax? or declare to JPJ is a batter option?

Buy 3.0 kosong then bore and sleeve your 2.2. Use your bored out 2.2 block and the rest from your 3.0.

Another way is to knock.

tamade7;671521 said:
Buy 3.0 kosong then bore and sleeve your 2.2. Use your bored out 2.2 block and the rest from your 3.0.

Another way is to knock.

i think that is an option, but banyak kerja

kian_e34;670912 said:
Hi all,

Need your opinion.. Bought an E39 last year and the car was soooo good to drive. Never felt a car can feel like an extension of the soul... And this year, transmission kaput maybe due to transmission oil leaking and didnt check. Had it rebuilt instead of swap. Then the oil cooler kaput also about 1 month after repair (with customer inside), embarrassing to say the least.
You can still see the oil trace from the Glomac entrance at Kelana Jaya all the way to the 1st house on the left of the T-junction..:hmmmm2:

My unit : E39, 520i, 2001/2.. Serviced by WP earlier but later sent to S&K in OUG due to proximity to office.

And now, obviously the engine decided to say it wants an offday too. Water was disappearing from the radiator and the gauge went to the opposite end within minutes, even after toppingup with water (mind you, the water was put in after engine cooled).

Before that, engine oil just disappeared too after 3 weeks, but when i put in about 3l of oil, level was ok again at the max. So it wasn't really empty, but it shouldn't happen either. So maybe i was having engine oil burn prior to water loss?

So now, do i get the engine overhauled, or get another engine in? I would like to get a 2.5l lump inside but really depends on the cost. Was told by my mechanic, this engine will cost about RM9k half-cut (not including labour). I have already spent about RM10k on this (UDM) Ultimate Draining Monster...:102:

Your opinion or previous experiences are highly appreciated. I am at wits end now.
Really thinking of selling it off and get a "safe and boring" X-trail.

So what should i do? The mechanic is competent but all these constant breakdowns is making me very worried.

thanking in advance. Hoping for your most valued feedback..

I was (think still am) on the same boat with you... got my UDM last year and the following is my list of things changed/repaired:-

a) G/B rebuilt (within 2 months)
b) Radiator + water pump (within 5 months);
c) Front absorber + ball joints (within 5 months);
d) A/C resistor (within 9 months - ordered parts and will attempt to DIY)
e) Wheel Speed Sensor changed but later found out it was ASB Module (will sent it for repair soon)
e) misc.....

BUT i can say the comfort and feeling of my ride improved tremendously and i cant get it from my previous cars... your call bro.

Top Bottom