My E36 Experience

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
After searching for about 2 months I found the E36 I was looking for. I had set out looking for a low mileage, single owner E36 328 after hearing that a friend’s friend had just sold his 1997 328 with 140k km for only RM40k. In my mind I wanted a low mileage car, say 100km+ and couldnt imagine any 325’s out there with such low mileage as the newest 325 is already 12yrs old. So I sought out looking for a 1998/99 328. That proved to be a bit difficult as there weren’t many on the market. I had seen a few cars and was quite disappointed with them. Then, I almost got a single owner 1996 328 with 130k+ km and with full service history at AB since 1996. The only thing holding me back was the price…..RM56k(down from RM58k). I was prepared to pay RM50k which to me was a RM10k premium for the service history and care that the owner had taken but the owner wouldnt budge. Around the same time, a friend of mine told me his neighbour had a 325 virtually “lying around” in his porch….hardly used. I pestered him for a week to ask the owner whether he wanted to sell his car and when he finally did ask, the owner said he had been wanting to do so for some time but never got to it. My friend called me and of course the rest is history. The car was:- Low mileage:- less than 80000km (unbelievable) Single Owner:- Retired Uncle took over the car from his company in 1997( which he also owned), so technically not single owner but the same owner as far as I'm concerned. Great Value RM40k+ (ok I know it higher than the some transacted price for 1995 325i which has been below RM40k but I wasn’t willing to risk the deal) The only down side is that the previous owner was not fastidious in servicing the car.( As compared to me, taking into account I've spent about RM20k on my E30 over the past 4 yrs). The service book shows that the car was serviced last in AB in 2003 (69848km in August 2003).The next service based on the sticker on the windscreen was in October 2004.(73569km ) which was done in AAM. When I got the car it was abt 79900km and it was not serviced in 2.5 years. (although it had only done 6500km in that period)The owner told me that the service lights had still not come on. Of course I was concerned. There was some leak from the engine and my mech changed the gaskets. He opened up the engine and the engine seemed ok. I have run the car for about 400km since getting the car back from my mech. My only concern is whether the poor usage over the last 2.5 yrs would have had any detrimental effect on the car.(What do u guys think...any pointers?) Anyway,I intend to change the oil again in anor 3000km, just to make sure the system is properly flushed. The neglect on the car was clearly shown on the paint work (original paint) when was faded at the rear side of the car as if part of the car had been left in the sun for long periods. The absorbers were also totally gone. Thus as a paint job is necessary and I am goin to change the color to black as my wife cannot stand the present color…gold. My wife thinks its quite an “uncle” color. Being only 36 I think I’ve got some youth left in me……so I’m goin “black”. After getting the car , I sent it to my mech who did the following:- Inspection 2 Changed all the oil and fluid, gasket, spark plug,some belts etcVanos repair kitBilstein(Black)Absorbers & MountingsRadiator Side plastic coverThemostat(incd housing, o-ring & gasket)Belt tensionerDoor handlle rubberWiper PanelRear Windscreen LiningFan Clutch The bill runs 4 pages long and includes other items which I’ve not listed here. The service including labour cost me RM5k+. I still havent replaced the ABS which recon unit is RM600 and I may also need to replace the O2 sensor as the FC seems to be a bit high….abt 350-400km per full tank. Then of course there is the paint job. Phew, that’s a lot of work and much moolah but its all worth it judging from the last 2 days of driving fun and enjoyment. The pleasure of the 6 cylinder engine is incomparable. Although its not a 328 which I had set out to get when I decided on a E36, I am still extremely pleased with my car. More updates on my E36 experience as I go along.

Anxious,

Welcome to the sometimes rewarding, often frustrating, financially damaging, relationship straining, pleasures and pain of e36 ownership.

You can consider the 5k as your bill for the first date, which is not bad for a first bill actually. There will be many many more bills to come, not just repair bills, but the inevitable mod bills. Many have resisted, almost all have failed, the seduction of mods once you start to 'touch up' the car. I know you live in Penang, land of fiscal prudence, but your wallet will soon open up soon regardless. Actually, it has started, with the Glasurit paint.

Suspension is of course the next important step. It's essential, yet tricky, to find a set that matches one's driving style. Assuming of course, the 325 does not drastically alter your driving style. If you live to flex your right foot, pay special attention to tires. Not worth saving money on rubber when the rubber can save your life, as is often the case.

As you bring the car back to scratch after all these years of underuse, you should be able to see it approach or even exceed 500km per full tank.

Your careful search have yielded a low-miler where nothing major should go wrong for a while. Am sure you will enjoy the ownership experience. Welcome.

Thanks Lee. U have been most helpful and I look forward to meeting u and of course ur 328.

I would also like to thank 1+2+3 who I met in KL when I first started looking for my E36.

Of course there is Elwine30. Zoggee and all the others who guided me through my E30 experience. It has been one heck of a journey.

A special thanks to Esterix who actually planted the idea of getting an E30 back in 2003.

I look forward to sharing my experieces with u guys.

Wow... Anxious,

A nice details update.. A very good guide for new secondhand owner like me.

Congrats!!

anxious,

congrates on the new ride...keep this thread alive & post some pictures of the new ride w/ the 'unka' color

however, do not forget your roots....dont neglect the E30:D

My E30 will be getting a new home end of this week.

But I am sure that the new owner (who is also a dear friend) will take care of my E30. He already has plans for her and I know that she will not fall to neglect.

E30

Care to share how much the new owner value your E30? Can share how much you sell it kah? :D

The E30 was sold in the mid teens to a friend. I didnt bother putting it up for sale as it would have been too much hassle.

Congratulations! If I was you, I would keep the car as stock standard as possible. Apart from saving your money for your next upgrade, your age and style is more akin to a Penangite gentleman.

Take note that the racun starts the next time we touchbase!

esterix;208998 said:
Congratulations! If I was you, I would keep the car as stock standard as possible. Apart from saving your money for your next upgrade, your age and style is more akin to a Penangite gentleman.

That was also my intention originally. :(

My car was stock for a while... if i recall correctly, oh, about 1 day... :D

But seriously, for afficionados, this car has an interesting depth of ability and ownership pleasure to be explored, even in stock form... As you lovingly 'restore' the car to the way it is meant to be, you will discover to your pleasant surprise new heights of performance you did not know it had.

It comes with a generous dose of faults as well. But the foibles typical of e36 is part of the experience of discovering the character of the car.

well, keeping it stock is good as you will sort out ALL the base problem 1st before your MOD. Just get bigger rims and slam down the car and if you fancy, m3 body kit will do just fine.

Penang... land of fiscal prudence... hahaha, nice words there... how true... especially when it comes to anything to do with cars, specifically car mods... :D

hi ther,
I think you got a good deal as most of the repairs were due to wear n tear[Belt tensioner. Door handlle rubber. Wiper Panel. Rear Windscreen Lining]. I've done the same repairs when my ride turn 10 this year[150Km]. by the way, i also get about 400-420km[E36'97 328i] on a full tank..gdLuck and happy driving.

e36

sachseelan;209123 said:
hi ther,
I think you got a good deal as most of the repairs were due to wear n tear[Belt tensioner. Door handlle rubber. Wiper Panel. Rear Windscreen Lining]. I've done the same repairs when my ride turn 10 this year[150Km]. by the way, i also get about 400-420km[E36'97 328i] on a full tank..gdLuck and happy driving.

400-odd kms per full tank (RM115) on city use is what I am getting (1996 E36 328i). I did a test run to JB and back, averaging 120kmh on a full tank last week. Thats 680km!

han2u;209409 said:
400-odd kms per full tank (RM115) on city use is what I am getting (1996 E36 328i). I did a test run to JB and back, averaging 120kmh on a full tank last week. Thats 680km!

Ya,highway driving much better mileage.

The cost of my E30 over the past 4 years
Hi guys,

I was just sorting through my E30 maintenance file and made copies of my service record for the new owner of my E30.

The breakdown of what I spent on the car b/w 2003-2007 can roughly be summarized as follows:-

1) MAINTENANCE

(mostly done at Chu Seng Auto Pg incl labour)
Significant items listed out

2003 RM6000
( I spent a large portion of this sum on changing most of the wear and tear items eg bushing, mounting, drive shaft etc) I guess I went out of control chansing all sorts of sounds. I changed the subframe bushing, trailing arm bush,center bearing,used drive shaft,anti roll bar bush, axle carrier bush, power steering repair kit,moto meter, speedo sensor,front lower lip, fan guide, pads, ball joint etc

2004 RM3000
-Battery RM270( battery died after being left overnite at Pg airport)
- Hoses RM400(after a overheating b/down experience)
-Glove Box Lock RM160
-Airflow sensor RM600(recon)
-Inspection 2 RM700
-decarbonizes& clean injectors(M Power, Ayer Itam) RM300

2005 RM4700
- overhaul auto gearbox RM2300
Timing belt,distributor cap, abs mounting, belts,service RM1200
Change steering rack & service RM1000

2006 RM2800
-accident(change bumper & parts) RM1000
-battery RM320
--tie rod , axle oil, service RM700
-brake disk RM270
-steering spindle RM200

2007 RM200

TOTAL RM16700

2) TYRES RM2300
Changed tyres twice and icld balancing and alignment

3) AIR CON RM400

4)MISC RM600

GRAND TOTAL RM20000

Mind bogling , I didnt even splurge on mods. In fact the only mod I got was a drop in K&N filter.

I honestly hope my E36 experience will be kinder to my wallet.

It doesnt look so.

Already spent RM5k+ @ Chu Seng
Anor RM3k+ will go for the paint job

Apa nak buat.....the price you have to pay for the UDM.

Honestly looking back I hv no regrets as far as my E30 is concerned. It served me well over the past 4 yrs as my daily driver. Only broke down 3 times( twice air flow meter problem & once overheating, leaking hoses....all fixed) And I travelled over 54000km on it.

What will my next car be...a E60 perhaps?

For now I just cant wait to get my E36 back from the paint shop.

mileage doesn't really matter!

based on my experience, a higher mileage car is better you can find out if it spent most time on highways or long distance. a low mileage car or suspiciously low means that it is seldom used or spent most time in city. this car would normally be worse off and not efficient, perhaps problematic!

i owned my e30 and i am the 6th owner and the car couldn't be better! and i think high mileage because the speedo didnt work when i bought it - gear melted.

Top Bottom