M40 Timing belt replacement

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fuelcheckvalve

Club Guest
guy..Anybody having experience changing M40 timing belt. I'm planning to do it on this or next weekend. Having experience changing my friend Proton Iswara timing belt but not the M40 engine. Glad if somebody wanna share the experience. How about the 1st cylinder TDC are they marked clearly?anyway following was the parts that I'm already brought together with the priceTiming Belt RM 50Bearing 1st RM 45 Bearing 2nd RM 40Oil seal RM 25Oil Seal RM 30part number will be posted upon request rgdsFCV

what is the recomendation mean time between replacement for this timing belt. My mechanic told me every 40000 Km, just wondering why so short, Jap engine can withstand until 100000Km.

FCV

Originally posted by fuelcheckvalve@Jan 6 2005, 03:51 PM
guy..

Anybody having experience changing M40 timing belt. I'm planning to do it on this or next weekend. Having experience changing my friend Proton Iswara timing belt but not the M40 engine. Glad if somebody wanna share the experience. How about the 1st cylinder TDC are they marked clearly?

anyway following was the parts that I'm already brought together with the price

Timing Belt RM 50
Bearing 1st RM 45
Bearing 2nd RM 40
Oil seal RM 25
Oil Seal RM 30

part number will be posted upon request

rgds

FCV
If i'm not mistaken you need a special tool to hold the cam.

Originally posted by fuelcheckvalve@Jan 6 2005, 03:59 PM
what is the recomendation mean time between replacement for this timing belt. My mechanic told me every 40000 Km, just wondering why so short, Jap engine can withstand until 100000Km.

FCV
40K is correct (that what my mechanic told me and almost everybody). If i can remember correctly, one of the mechanic told me b4, it is because Jap car timing belt contain more rubber compare with BMW, means it is more elastic (more tolerable).
Don't know is it correct or not, but that is the answer i got when i throw the same question b4. But for sure there are more logical explanation out there by our sifu. I also like to know why. Thanks

Originally posted by Strider@Jan 7 2005, 11:24 AM

the recommedation is about 40,000 km by most mechanic but i change mine at 65,000 Km without much problem. I have change mine now. Both at an interval of 65,000 Km.. Due for another change very soon. I have seen it done twice by the mechanic at M1 shop. Yes, you need a special jig to hold the cam at TDC. If the cam is turn, then you will have a hard time to get it back. So be very careful if you planning to DIY. Normally, they will also change the aircon bearing and related other bearings as well..

try hanyes manual. I think they have a good write up for the M40 engine..

Originally posted by Strider@Jan 7 2005, 11:24 AM
nah... don't need the cam tool. seen it done once...
need to properly mark the teeth on the cam pulley and the crank pulley..

Fan clutch can be open by giving them a good whack, its a counter direction threat nice hit on the spanner will open up the clutch. Done it before.

Guys,
Just finished changing my timing belt set on the weekend.
It not as easy as japanese car because:-
1) Dont know where the f..k was the cam pulley aligned with the upper rear cover. Have to open the rocker cover and look for the 1st cylinder TDC.
2) Marking on the crank shaft dampener was not clear have to ask my freind to look for it.
3) Cam pulley was tighten using an inverted TORX, be prepare with inverted TORX set. Else you cant change the seal.

Been told by one of my freind that the camshaft timing can be found using a special bmw tool. Maybe somebody can share the info on this tool.
After all the I'm enjoying Do It myself.

FCV

Originally posted by fuelcheckvalve@Jan 15 2005, 08:19 PM
... After all the I'm enjoying Do It myself.
a lot of guys enjoy doing it themselves too... just need some inspiration... can find plenty on the web... hehe.

Top Bottom