Legendary S14 engine (No it's not the SR20DET) into RHD E30s?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

saturation

Club Guest
Hi guys,Im new to the forum. I currently drive a 1989 316 e30Just wanna check with the Sifus out there know if this can be done?I've heard that the RHD steering column doesnt fit with the design of this engine when mounted into our RHD cars?comments? Thanks!

If the legendary S14 engine is not a SR20 series, what can it be ?
The other engine for S14 engine is the KA24DE. But is a crappy engine compare to SR20

turbology;399986 said:
The other engine for S14 engine is the KA24DE. But is a crappy engine compare to SR20

the S14 is the e30 M3 (definitely not a nissan)

turbology;399986 said:

Wakakakaka :aetsch: .... aiyo bro itu pun tak tau ka?

can be fitted.... Just need to modify the exhaust extractor, that alone will sap up a bit of horsepower as it wouldn't be a free flow as the original extractor...

Maybe get the cheaper-to-maintain M42B18 from the 318is... Bore it out from 84mm to 86mm.. That will increase the capacity from 1796cc to 1883cc. If you want to mod further, get the 88mm forged crankshaft from the M47 diesel engine and you'll have 2045cc...

Get the ITB from the S50 or adapt from the Toyota 20v 4AGE... Chip it and you would have quite decent power.. hehhe

this would be my wishlist project when i get to it...

Your next big project to come very soon???? Looks like you have already planned what you need to do. To take Nike's motto - JUST DO IT!

fabianyee;400046 said:
can be fitted.... Just need to modify the exhaust extractor, that alone will sap up a bit of horsepower as it wouldn't be a free flow as the original extractor...

Maybe get the cheaper-to-maintain M42B18 from the 318is... Bore it out from 84mm to 86mm.. That will increase the capacity from 1796cc to 1883cc. If you want to mod further, get the 88mm forged crankshaft from the M47 diesel engine and you'll have 2045cc...

Get the ITB from the S50 or adapt from the Toyota 20v 4AGE... Chip it and you would have quite decent power.. hehhe

fabianyee;400046 said:

Very interesting idea sifu. In fact Ive already swapped out my M40B16 to a M40B18.
Ive managed to source for High lift Cams and valves springs.
Was thinking of bore and stroking it to a larger capacity.
But i never thought of using the 87mm M47 diesel crankshaft.
Btw, how a the pistons? after increasing the capacity replace with?

Can be done but what for? 195bhp may have been the bee's knees in the 80's but its not all that much these days, plus I shudder to think of the cost / availability of replacement parts for the S14.

IMHO there are other more cost effective BMW engine swaps that gets you as much power with lower maintenance costs and better upgrade path. Just ask Pussy..........

Yes agreed that there are other options available.
but swapping a 6 cylinder engine into a 4 cylinder registered car might not go well with the "authorities" down south if u get what i mean, how unfortunate....
but hey if any of you guys have any great ideas, please do share! thanks!

saturation;400326 said:
Very interesting idea sifu. In fact Ive already swapped out my M40B16 to a M40B18.
Ive managed to source for High lift Cams and valves springs.
Was thinking of bore and stroking it to a larger capacity.
But i never thought of using the 87mm M47 diesel crankshaft.
Btw, how a the pistons? after increasing the capacity replace with?

Not much else you can do with the M40B18... unless you want to turbocharge it..
Oh, have you lightened your flywheel?? I've lightened the stock M40 flywheel from 10.8kg to 7.6kg.. Can feel the difference for standing start..

There are more options for the M42B18. check out www.m42club.com for inspiration..

master fab, does lightening the flywheel will effect the high speed? pls advice. thanks

datsunnismo;401108 said:
master fab, does lightening the flywheel will effect the high speed? pls advice. thanks

I can only say this with my E30 with M42, the lightened flywheel didn't seem to high speed.. Still can get to 210 on the speedo on flat road.. If got downhill stretch can get to 230... :p

fabianyee;405087 said:
I can only say this with my E30 with M42, the lightened flywheel didn't seem to high speed.. Still can get to 210 on the speedo on flat road.. If got downhill stretch can get to 230... :p

slightly off-topic but where does one get up that speed around here? : )

boonaroo;405098 said:
slightly off-topic but where does one get up that speed around here? : )

Did that on between the KLIA and the Nilai interchange on the ELITE highway chasing a Fiat Coupe Turbo...

fabianyee;405110 said:
Did that on between the KLIA and the Nilai interchange on the ELITE highway chasing a Fiat Coupe Turbo...

he must have said something nasty about your mother....

we need to get together and chat about how I can get my wheels to those speeds without pissing my pants.

fabianyee;405110 said:

or being chased by a evo...:rolleyes:

Top Bottom