A question to E30 M42 owners

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
bro lionel..care to elaborate more on what you mentioned? u mean find a non-ews ecu and eliminate the ews ? Need more explanation here as im still super noob here.

datsunnismo: yes..the e32 one definitely has better feel and all.trying to see if my mech can find a way around..otherwise it'll be back to using the ori booster.

jumpman;565041 said:
bro lionel..care to elaborate more on what you mentioned? u mean find a non-ews ecu and eliminate the ews ? Need more explanation here as im still super noob here.

datsunnismo: yes..the e32 one definitely has better feel and all.trying to see if my mech can find a way around..otherwise it'll be back to using the ori booster.

Its just applicable if u DONT want the EWS cos some ppls plan to put in performance chip in future and also save some money to duplicate a EWS key ......

M42 got 2 version which is without EWS mean year 94 and below and with EWS mainly for year 95 onward ........

If ur halfcut is so happened came wit EWS and u dont want the function , u can find 1 ECU which is without EWS and use back the wire harmless (mainly engine harmless ) and match with ur existing E30 inlet harmless and ur car can be fire ......

I dunno how ur mech do the wiring but wat normally apply here (maybe just my mech) , they will maintain back the inlet harmless and connect with the new outlet harmless ......

Tat all i can tell .......hope tis will not confused u even more .....hahhahahhahahha

Well..my halfcut apparently did not come with the EWS module but from the serial number on the ECU indicates that it has EWS. hm...is there a write-up on this or anyone care to rephrase wad bro lionel said? I can't seem to fully understand wad you explained,my bad.

jumpman;565409 said:
well..my halfcut apparently did not come with the ews module but from the serial number on the ecu indicates that it has ews. Hm...is there a write-up on this or anyone care to rephrase wad bro lionel said? I can't seem to fully understand wad you explained,my bad.

Go to realoem.com and key in d chassis no ....its cant be wrong .....

If stated d car is with EWSbut the halfcut module was missing then u might facing problem to fire up the car as the ECU is with EWS ......u cant start the car without the complete EWS module ....

So pls cinfirm 1st before u procee futher ..........

Lionel_Koh;565524 said:
Go to realoem.com and key in d chassis no ....its cant be wrong .....

If stated d car is with EWSbut the halfcut module was missing then u might facing problem to fire up the car as the ECU is with EWS ......u cant start the car without the complete EWS module ....

What is this?????

Interesting cut and paste..

in normal arial font, it should look like this:

"Go to realoem.com and key in d chassis no ....its cant be wrong .....

"

hey guys..got an update. My mechanic have shortened the adaptor to fit the brake booster so i am currently still running on the dual diaphragm booster and the engine sits in the engine bay nicely with minimal clearance from the booster. As for the EWS and wiring..currently looking into that now. Does anybody who had gone through the E30 M42 conversion have a wiring diagram to spare ? bro Lionel, any insights to this? I am in dire need of it. Also if I am not mistaken,i was told that to bypass the EWS I need a non-EWS ecu and the wiring harness to get it done right? Or just the non EWS ecu would do? Thanks!

best of luck!!wanna go see how ur mech adapted the brake booster to fit!!!

Thanks bro! will call u when im heading there so we can check things out.hopefully can get the car running soon!

Hi there, I did my conversion recently and I was stuck with an EWS ECU with no key etc.

I asked a few mechanics, posted on the forum and did some research. One famous mechanic also told me to 'campak dalam sungai' (he was referring to my engine) because it was EWS version.

I was told my only option was to get a non EWS ECU and harness. After multiple opinions, that was what I did. My mech sourced a non EWS ECU and wiring harness for RM1.5k and that solved all the dramas.

Just to share.

Rgds

hi bimmer9..yea i read about ur situation..but i was told u can bypass the ECU by just using a non-EWS ecu and the wiring harness is not required. I will update this thread once i've gone thru that stage together with the details.. how's ur car idling issues ? apart from that..how's the M42 engine treating u? hehe..

jumpman;572009 said:
hi bimmer9..yea i read about ur situation..but i was told u can bypass the ECU by just using a non-EWS ecu and the wiring harness is not required. I will update this thread once i've gone thru that stage together with the details.. how's ur car idling issues ? apart from that..how's the M42 engine treating u? hehe..

Yeah I'm sure there must be a way, but at that point, without a car for so many weeks and looking at it all knackered collecting dust in the workshop, I just wanted to get it out asap. And I made up for the cost of the wiring harness by selling all my m40 stuff. My m42 also came with an autobox and ECU and I managed to sell that as well. Got to cover some of the cost factor.

Idling issue is not a major problem at the moment, just need to spend some time to diagnose it myself as most mechanics just wanna change stuff. As long as it takes me to work everyday I can slowly diagnose it and do what needs to be done. My drive to work and back everyday is a study of when and what triggers the idling problem. Hopefully I solve it by this week.

The m42 is a totally different world compared to the m40. Having had the car for about 6 years, I regret not doing it earlier. It is a totally different car now, the first few months was a learning experience on how to drive and handle the new heartl. Now that im used to it im beginning to feel the urge for more. Hopefully some further tweaking in the near future.

Anyway good luck and let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Top Bottom