Karak Highways never fail to be the headline..!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Insured By Mafia

Club Guest
Dear Folks & Sifus,After a long time away for my wedding, here i come writing a thread with a bad news..Met with an accident yesterday early morning in da "famous" karak highway..rite after the karak toll heading KL..After rain, wet road, only on 80kmh (i repeat, 80kmh), Car skidded on a sharp turn and spinned 180 degrees before slamming on da left side concrete divider..Some say it must be da tow guys work to spill oil on the already wet ground..it seems its a routine activity for tow guys to cari makan..makes me wonder coz they appeared out of nowhere in a split seconds..very hard to justify it, even if i can justify, cant do much bout it i guess...watever it is, my 1 month right rear deep dish rim tore like a sheet of paper..Da car is currently resting in a so called well known garage in Temerloh industrial area for insurance claim process..Unsure what might be the damage as the right rear rim absorbed 90% of the impact..Wat are the problems i mite be facing? Differentials?? Rear axle??Please advice Sifus..

Sorry to hear man. Sometimes, it might be aquaplaning. If you have wide tyres its easier to happen. Whatever it is, as long as you were not speeding and no one was hurt. Rest can claim insurance. How bad the damage gonna be is for anyone to guess. If you tore the rims, chances are your arms, links etc are going to bend in such a hard shunt. Only 80 km/h huh? Damn ...

wow... and where is the ACS+T when you need it... omy...

I dont even dare to guess...

Bro tIANcI, no worries bro..u kno, shit happens...wide tyres its easier to happen?? really?? i was running on 225 front n 255 rear...can dat be a reason? yea bro, i was driving alone n im totally fine except for the minor concussion due to da impact..n thank god da road was empty when my car was spinning..hell yeah, 80kmh bro..!!! datz wat making me hard to believe this actually happened...grrr...now waiting for the insurance adjuster to inspect the damage..hopefully he includes all the necessary mechanism in his list fro replacement..

While I cant advise you on the other parts that might be damanged but I can advise you on this;

Your ride & its keys will be with the workshop for a extended period of time, in this time frame they can do anything they wish without your knowledge. This includes, duplicating your key, placing a tracking device.. plus they have your details (home address).

Just beware after you have collected your ride.

Insured By Mafia;757158 said:
Bro tIANcI, no worries bro..u kno, shit happens...wide tyres its easier to happen?? really?? i was running on 225 front n 255 rear...can dat be a reason? yea bro, i was driving alone n im totally fine except for the minor concussion due to da impact..n thank god da road was empty when my car was spinning..hell yeah, 80kmh bro..!!! datz wat making me hard to believe this actually happened...grrr...now waiting for the insurance adjuster to inspect the damage..hopefully he includes all the necessary mechanism in his list fro replacement..

Wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning, not saying it will happen at 80 km/h. The tyres are displacing more water, it builds up in front of the tyres and the wide tyres act like a nice ski. Maybe there was water running off across the road, who knows? :) Everything is replaceable, just ensure chassis is not slightly bent. That one will be an issue.

from the training i took at 25 km/h you can spin like crazy already. if road wet drive slow.

There's a misconception on wider tyres = better grip. YES, but only in the dry.

On wet roads, the wider the tyre, the easier for it to float above the water hence aquaplaning.

And also there's always the driving skill that would come in handy in such situations... That's why there are defensive driving or advance driving courses to attend, like the BMW Advance Driving course. The techniques you learn in these courses will make u better prepared for such situations, so that u know how to react and control the car and bring it to a stop with lesser or no damage...

But sadly a lot of Malaysian drivers don't bother about 'modding' their driving skills, but no issue spending an arm and leg to mod car to look fast and go fast.

Agree spend 1.7k best investment. car mod , value depreciate , advance traning never depreciate , skill learn valuable soo much I signing my wife for next year course. No matter how much BMW put technology in it for assistance not 100% auto

If i may ask, what model were you driving?

The highly acclaimed safety feature of the car couldnt correct the error?

LiteBulb;757218 said:
If i may ask, what model were you driving?

The highly acclaimed safety feature of the car couldnt correct the error?

When you lose traction, if the corner were sharp and you turn in a little too late, too hard ... add water to the road, no technology will save you. It happens.

RWD car is prone to skid especially wet road and wider tyre(irregardless brand of tyre). 80kmh on sharp bend and wet road is fast.
Even on striaght road I drive slow in wet and rains. I dun wan to take risk something I cant control. Yup driver training is good and I wish to join when permit. Drive safe and hope your ride damage is not that bad. At least u r safe and that is more important

tIANcI;757242 said:
IM ... losing it at 80km/h really makes me think more now. Geeez ...

Indeed bro, I'm only on 225 but when it rains you can feel the back swaying and ASC/DSC doing its thing, this is around 80 -100kph.

Bro IBM, sorry to hear this. Hope it is not that bad..

Read this note on aquaplaning:

- Aquaplaning is the name given to the occasion where you are driving in wet conditions and your vehicles wheels lose traction.
- It can be difficult to tell when you are aquaplaning, but it often feels as though the steering is non-responsive and the back end is weaving/wobbling.
- It occurs as a combination of speed, tyre pressure, tyre condition and depth of water.
- Avoid aquaplaning by reducing your speed to under 50 mph. Over this speed and you significantly increase your chances of aquaplaning.
- Stay in the tracks of the vehicle in front of you, but stay back by at least 3 seconds.
- Try and stay in the middle lanes, as water will tend to gather in the outside lanes first.

If you do aquaplane:

- Depress the clutch
- Put you hazard lights on
- Grip the wheel firmly and steer where you want to go (steer into the skid)
- Avoid braking/accelerating
- Check the rear view mirror for other vehicles getting too close etc.

Eh ... got time to do all that ar? Hehehehehehe ...

tIANcI;757163 said:
Wider tyres are more prone to aquaplaning, not saying it will happen at 80 km/h. The tyres are displacing more water, it builds up in front of the tyres and the wide tyres act like a nice ski. Maybe there was water running off across the road, who knows? :) Everything is replaceable, just ensure chassis is not slightly bent. That one will be an issue.

hmmm..it makes sense..yea bro, da chassis is my main concern now..

fabianyee;757176 said:
There's a misconception on wider tyres = better grip. YES, but only in the dry.

On wet roads, the wider the tyre, the easier for it to float above the water hence aquaplaning.

And also there's always the driving skill that would come in handy in such situations... That's why there are defensive driving or advance driving courses to attend, like the BMW Advance Driving course. The techniques you learn in these courses will make u better prepared for such situations, so that u know how to react and control the car and bring it to a stop with lesser or no damage...

But sadly a lot of Malaysian drivers don't bother about 'modding' their driving skills, but no issue spending an arm and leg to mod car to look fast and go fast.

bro fabianyee, better grip only in the dry, yes bro totally agree with dat..on wet roads, it makes sense to me now there're high chances for the wheels to float..its never to late to realize this kinda things...appreciate your concern towards drivers to consider driving skill courses..it will definitely come in handy..thanks for the knowledge bro..

Top Bottom