JCW MINI Cooper S Vs VW Golf GTi

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Daredevil

Founding Member
Was given the privilege to test drive the brand new Mini Cooper S Clubman for 2 days recently by one of the biggest BMW dealers in Victoria. Really nimble and definitely packs a big punch for a 1.6L lil engine. The handling is really nice and the car is firmly planted on the ground at cornerings. However, didn't really like design of the clubman especially the rear. Will post some photos soon...If one were to look at getting either the JCW MINI Cooper S or the VW Golf Gti as a 2nd fun car, which would it be?

Oh forgot to mention...it was an auto so there seems to be a bit of a 1sec lack before power kicks in.

IMG_7414.jpg

IMG_7415.jpg

IMG_7411.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7430.jpg

IMG_7436.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

Makes a superb 2nd fun car....get the manual....:top:

Daredevil;345771 said:
Was given the privilege to test drive the brand new Mini Cooper S Clubman for 2 days recently by one of the biggest BMW dealers in Victoria. Really nimble and definitely packs a big punch for a 1.6L lil engine. The handling is really nice and the car is firmly planted on the ground at cornerings. However, didn't really like design of the clubman especially the rear. Will post some photos soon...

If one were to look at getting either the JCW MINI Cooper S
or the VW Golf Gti as a 2nd fun car, which would it be?

AB is launching the JCW MCS this Sat, will tell after the test drive!:top:

definitely the MCS!
my younger brother's got one over here in melbourne

if you liked the clubman you will prefer the normal cooper s...it handles better (more like a go-kart)
did you have a chance to testdrive the manual version?

I'd get a MKV Golf GTI in a heartbeat if compared to a MCS.
Reason being its far more potential in terms of mods, handling & practicality.
A re-chipped ecu, a turbo back exhaust & an intake will make you smile for a few months.
Also I like the handling of the GTI. Its nimble, light, agile.. and the gearbox. *yummy*
The interior of the GTI feels very well built. Like its solid.

I know you're in Melbourne, Australia, so you should not be bothered by the following.
The only real downside of the GTI might be the resale value of the car in the future.
As VW is considerably quite new in the Malaysia market.
The other downside is the lack of a 3door variant here in MY.
But I swear to god that I've seen an MY registered red 3door GTI before in KL.

888;346131 said:
I'd get a MKV Golf GTI in a heartbeat if compared to a MCS.
Reason being its far more potential in terms of mods, handling & practicality.
A re-chipped ecu, a turbo back exhaust & an intake will make you smile for a few months.
Also I like the handling of the GTI. Its nimble, light, agile.. and the gearbox. *yummy*
The interior of the GTI feels very well built. Like its solid.

I know you're in Melbourne, Australia, so you should not be bothered by the following.
The only real downside of the GTI might be the resale value of the car in the future.
As VW is considerably quite new in the Malaysia market.
The other downside is the lack of a 3door variant here in MY.
But I swear to god that I've seen an MY registered red 3door GTI before in KL.

the golf is much easier to mod, big power from just a reflash.
have you driven a MCS? it is by far the better handling car.

there are 1 or 2 3dr GTIs in KL...must be grey imports.

The comparison asked for by daredevil is between JCW MCS and Golf GTi, not a regular MCS. The JCW MCS with it's turbo charged engine has 208bhp, weighing 1130 kg, 0-100 km/h in 6.5 sec (manual). The Golf GTi has 197bhp, weighs 1336kg, 0-100km/h in 6.9 sec (DSG).

Locally, the GTi will beat the JCW MCS on price without doubt, as the regular MCS is already about RM 40k more than the Gti.

maxxsp;345949 said:
definitely the MCS!
my younger brother's got one over here in melbourne

if you liked the clubman you will prefer the normal cooper s...it handles better (more like a go-kart)
did you have a chance to testdrive the manual version?

Problem is I don't like the looks of the Clubman at all. The back looks really dated with the twin kopitiam windows-style opening door. The normal MCS remains my pick anytime of the day.

It's true the Golf GTi seems a little 'big'.

Yes I've driven the MCS manual...two word....'DAMN SHIOK!'....it whizzes thru traffic like nobody's business and it's a joy when it comes to parking.

Daredevil;346371 said:
Problem is I don't like the looks of the Clubman at all. The back looks really dated with the twin kopitiam windows-style opening door. The normal MCS remains my pick anytime of the day.

It's true the Golf GTi seems a little 'big'.

Yes I've driven the MCS manual...two word....'DAMN SHIOK!'....it whizzes thru traffic like nobody's business and it's a joy when it comes to parking.

The JCW is a lot faster though and I betcha will outperform the GTi big time i.e. leave it for dead in a sprint.

Juan Powerblow;346383 said:
The JCW is a lot faster though and I betcha will outperform the GTi big time i.e. leave it for dead in a sprint.

depends on the driver. with DSG the GTI is consistently 6.9s

everyone compares the MCS with the DSG GTI but IMO they should compare apples with apples and a standard MCS (7.1s) is faster than a manual GTI (7.2s)

In Australia, I often see the Holden Monaros and M3s gunning for record times in the 0-60km/h sprint. Hahahah....when they're both first at the lights. At 60km/h, they have to jam the brakes before another demerit point is slapped on their poor souls. I've already received 4 demerit points in the last 3 months....:eek: and A$320 of fines. Basket!

saw this long ass mini outside Sapura this morning on the way to work, kinda nice from far...

cheers..

Top Bottom