Is this serious for a 21 months old car?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
astroboy;490125 said:
Leak from the rear near vacuum pump section is so far so dry.. :wink: Now I'm monitoring another damp spot.. it hasn't become "wet" yet.. still eyeing on that new damp spot.. :22:

AB...u gonna upload more pics on that new damp spot?? Apparently the leak is not a major problem but I guess it's like a little pebble stuck in ur shoe...that uncomfy feeling...

t2ribena;490063 said:
bro...did they change the fasteners with its rubber seal on the valve cover gasket? mine also same after replacing the valve cover gasket...leaking everywhere...those monkeys in AB Glenmarie did not change those screws and broken rubber seal so it leaks and old seals that had worned out cannot provide the pressure to seal the gaskets...i replaced mine DIY...cost me the whole day coz so much thing to remove...

Bro, would like you to give some pointers if we meet on the next TT session. Though my ride is still new, its making me sick of knowing this issue when the car is a qtr million dollar one!! :eek: :(

Again, what is BMW Malaysia got to say?? Are they reading this!!!

BlackE90;490087 said:
Bros, you guys can always send your ride to Astroboy's house for a check....Just tapau some 6packs will do.

Looks like l will hve to tapau 6 packs for him ! Anyone care to join me? :wink:

astroboy;490090 said:
I told them as long as rocker cover leak, I will go back to them... so I don't care how many times they have to do it. Every time the leak is "fixed", I am warranted for 24 months.. despite a more than 2 year old car.

if they are fixing this FOC under your standard car warranty, then the warranty for the parts/repair carried out also expires when ur car standard warranty expires...this was communicated to me by the super lousy Auto Bavaria...

so it is not extended everytime u repair it...furthermore when the warranty ends ur engine block can throw away liau coz the amount of time the screw is remove and tighten sure reduce its lifetime tremendously...

No wor.. every parts that replaced under warranty or at a fee are all comes with a 2 years warranty period. Its not about extension. Wah, if BMW parts replaced at SC no warranty, what's the different to changing parts at under the tree workshop at a fraction of the price?! :eek:

astroboy;490309 said:
No wor.. every parts that replaced under warranty or at a fee are all comes with a 2 years warranty period. Its not about extension. Wah, if BMW parts replaced at SC no warranty, what's the different to changing parts at under the tree workshop at a fraction of the price?! :eek:

the parts & labour warranty only available when you pay for it...FOC/warranty wan tarak kira...

t2ribena;490314 said:
the parts & labour warranty only available when you pay for it...FOC/warranty wan tarak kira...

Then they might as well give u used part during warranty claim?! Don't think so la. Imagine one month b4 warranty ends, something gets claimed and that part fail again after one month.. How?!

Hi guys, first wan say sorry for digging up old thread....
Read from page 1 till last and 1 of the bros brought up issue about using gasket silicones/glue is kinda bothering me...
If you see any mechanic or workshop that uses gasket silicone, better stay away from them.
Never use the silicone as it may end up clogging your lube oil hoses and channels...
Gaskets are designed to be perfect fit and if they aren't then those gaskets have problems...

Also on the rocker cover gaskets , from my experience workin for an American diesel engine company, they are suppose to be rubber. Coz apart from functioning as a gasket, they actually help to muffle the noise from your rocker lever in addition to noise isolators...
Of course I'm talking from diesel 4/6 cyl engines that I'm workin with so if the BMW engine is totally different , then what I just said is total crap...

I'm really noob on car engines.... Unless you have a dodge ram... :)

Yes Slips, what u said is correct. The valve cover gasket is rubber. It hardens up over time and crack up which leads to leakages as early as 24 months old. RTV gasket maker will help when this happen, hence prolong the need to keep replacing valve cover gasket.

Got use torque wrench for tightening the screws?
Incorrect torque on the screws could be the culprit for premature failure of the rubber gaskets...
Even metal type gaskets, usually cylinder head gaskets, will get premature failure(leaking oil) if incorrect torque on the screws/bolts...

Find a service manual for the engine, normally it will specify how much torque is needed.

astroboy;490340 said:
Then they might as well give u used part during warranty claim?! Don't think so la. Imagine one month b4 warranty ends, something gets claimed and that part fail again after one month.. How?!

Actually, the warranty for parts replaced under warranty during the car warranty period expires the moment the car warranty ends. The 2-year etc. warranty for new parts only apply for parts that are paid for by the owner. AFAIK, this is standard for all cars.

I've a case now whereby a part was replaced during warranty period, but the problem continue to exist. Everytime I bring in the car for normal service, the SA just re-set the motor. Thank God all these is electronically recorded..proof that the stupid motor still in problem.

Just to update. A motor part was replaced during the warranty period. However the problem was not solved. The car is not under warranty now, technically I have to pay for a new part. However I argued in the most gentle manner. To cut it short, I got a new motor part replaced for free warranty on this spare part. :) *cloud nine*

Top Bottom