Is the Haze choking you yet?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Argghhhhhh, all I can see out of the window of my office is... haze and no sun. Been feeling quite depress of late.:( Not felt like that for ages... feels almost like "winter depression", only it is still hot and humid here.

same here. its getting worst. i wunder which one is worst?? KL or stinkapoos??

am attaching a photo taken from an open window in my apartment 5 minutes ago. its bad.
20102006a.jpg

ah lian said:
same here. its getting worst. i wunder which one is worst?? KL or stinkapoos??

am attaching a photo taken from an open window in my apartment 5 minutes ago. its bad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/weezy13/20102006a.jpg[/quote]

Same same.... damn gloomy day. Some more got the whole of next week off. Forgot to plan my holidays. Looks like I will have to lock ourselves in our house and enjoy arsetro.

okow said:
Nothing about been living abroad/travelling overseas Ah Lian, guess everyone is feeling a bit hazy these days.

Anyway, off track a little, perhaps someone could start a new thread about living/travelling abroad to share experiences. Wouldnt that be quite interesting and educational for the rest....like a travelog. could also act as a travel guide...dont you think?

Hey Okow... good idea, that must be interesting to read on someone's experience in living abroad. Please do so from those who have been there & done that.

LumKyE46 said:
Hey Okow... good idea, that must be interesting to read on someone's experience in living abroad. Please do so from those who have been there & done that.

Hey lumky,
why dont you start one...or perhaps 2 thread. 1 for those who have lived abroad and another for travelled abroad. Will support it.

Alamak... you ask me pulak to start the thread.

Not qualify-la me... the furtherest I go was Parit Buntar only, sori canot help.

:D

LumKyE46 said:
Alamak... you ask me pulak to start the thread.

Not qualify-la me... the furtherest I go was Parit Buntar only, sori canot help.

:D

Halo! Starting the thread doesnt necessarily need you to have travelled or lived abroad lah. Safest way is to post a question....

Yuhoo!! Im in Clear BLUE sky territory! The air is so fresh......really missed this.

How's the haze back home?

nikazwaa said:
Eksyen la you!!!

Haha, you mean its still bad back home?
Awww..wish you guys were here too..

Oops, gotta go, barbie's waiting for me.

G'day!

Yesterday heavy rain in Pontain.

This morning. Sky a bit glommy. Don't know whether the area is hazy due to
haze or dew.

Heard that the rain are coming back and wind direction is changing soon.

Hopefully, clear sky will comes back...

ah lian said:
the haze is bad here in stinkapoo as well. i look outside my apartment and i cant see anything except a white glaze, like a picture where someone forgot to focus on anything. on wednesday nite, it cleared a bit but resumed today.

i have been staying indoors inside my apartment due to a bad cough, runny nose and fever. the aircon in my room has been on full time since. all the windows in the house are shut tight. cant help it. i feel like a prisoner in my own space. :(

i am not about to shout #$%^&&*!!!! at whoever dat is causing it because its really difficult to point fingers at the actual culprits. i wunder wot can we do about it, rather than tell ppl to stop burning stuff? the haze is not a new thing, its been happening every year and getting worse and worse each year. **sigh** wottodo ahhhh??

i am gonna wish upon a star, if i can still see one tonight, to please make the haze go away.

p.s. i cant understand wots wif the "been living abroad/travelling overseas" thing gotta do with talking abt the haze. unless, you are reporting from the hotspots areas where you see the actual burning, then perhaps you can enlighten us how the situation is like there.

Saigon had some haze last week... after a day or so, it was crystal clear. back to KL tomorrow sigh

yeahhh!!! its raining everyday and i am loving it!!

here are visuals from yesterday and today:

25102006a.jpg

26102006a.jpg

Its good to know that the haze has cleared up. Hope its permanent! Im still in Aussieland and hope to come back to clean fresh air!

Wah ah-lian your place soo nice, can see chinese and japanese garden ah. Anyhow was in sin-land last week and i feel the haze there is worse then in klang-valley. But its good there as the have constant updates on the PSI on all public media so the public can take appropriate actions was it gets bad. Here must use ABS (Aku Breath Sendiri) method to determine the PSI.

Originally Posted by RedZ4
Ok, now your statement is totally bogus... you really think those countries mentioned don't have any intention to be fully developed.... think again. Its going to take time, but I'm very certain they want.

Now you expect the government to take action on an issue like the Haze within a couple of weeks. Geez... this thing is not even cause by Malaysia. And having the Indonesian stop this will probably take several years.
Oh yeah, I would argue that we cannot compare our country with Germany, Switzerland and Australia cause these countries have been developed for many years. Maybe compare it to HK, Korea, or Taiwan. But HK and Taipei also have pollution problems.

Its pretty easy for you to sit behind your desktop and type and complain about the government, just like its easy for me to sit behind mine and say that your statements are bogus. I think we all should offer constructive criticism or suggestions instead of pointing fingers.

funfer_fahrer said:
I am not the kind of person who reads The Book of Almanacs or whatsoever, but I know the difference between doing the right thing and waiting things to happen. To simply put it, I flush my toilet without waiting someone to tell me. The way I look at the haze problems is like a neverending war. To make it worse, the forest burning took place at their own soil. Yes, the smoke comes from Indonesia. And yes, the Sumatras is blowing all year round unlike the north-east monsoon. I repeat, the Sumatras is blowing all year round (this is only Standard Five Geography for Peperiksaan Penilaian Darjah Lima syllabus and I hope nobody is insulting my intelligence). The Indonesian Government is accusing Malaysian for the haze and vice-versa. For how long do you want to get involve in this finger-pointing? After a heavy rain, everybody is clapping happily. The problem stops for a while. Why? Because people tend to associate bad air quallity with haze (by believing that a clear day is an indication of good air quality). By doing so, we are actually living in a state of denial. Every single day, day in-day out we see hundreds of lorries that produce black smoke and nobody cares. Guys, this is something that our country CAN control. When Ling Liong Sik was the responsible minister, I did not see any intiatives on his part as well. Ministers are answerable to me and all of you because their political future depends on our "X" mark on the ballot paper. Some of the lorries have been in existence before I was born such as the British made Leyland. When they climb up a hill they can hardly do 10km/hr. The sad part some unlucky guys already "kissed" the backside and died for no reason. These lorries should not be allowed on our roads. They are dangerous not only to us but also to our future generations. Why is it so difficult understand this simple equation? Less old lorries=Good air quality. Having said that, this is not the ultimate solution. Somebody must also find a solution to the factories that produce black smokes as well. You see, when ministers go abroad they work 30% of the time, go for shopping 30% of the time and party for the remaining 40%. They never want to learn from the developed countries at their own initiatives unless someone told them to. Their eyes are "blind". This is what pisses me off. Why bother with something that you have little or no control at all such as the haze from Sumatra? That is where the lorry issue come into the picture. I don't care whether Hong Kong, Korea and Taiwan have plans to become a developed nation or not. What I know, if you want to compete, for whatever the reasons you must compete with the best. There's no point competing with second best. Let us compete with the country that already done it. I believe you've seen a lot during your overseas postings but to tell you the truth the number of countries that you have visited is nothing compared to the number of countries that I've worked or visited. I've seen and learned more for the past 15 years of my career. I just want to give some input in order to make my country a better place to live. For your information I don't just simply sit behind my laptop and complain about the environment. Go outside and take a look. For God's sake can't you just see what is happening around you?

Where is RedZ4? Is my statement to totally bogus this time? Consider this article below. I know that I am always right. You don't have to be well travelled to know things. Just acquire a good reading habit. Get a copy of The Star today.

Nation
Sunday November 19, 2006

Malaysia gets dismal ratings
BY ROYCE CHEAH AND ELIZABETH LOOI

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia has been ranked second last among 56 industrialised and rapidly industrialising countries in the 2007 Climate Change Performance Index that monitors efforts taken to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
United States, the world’s largest contributor of greenhouse gases ranked 53, followed by China, Malaysia and Saudi Arabia. Indonesia was ranked 43 while Singapore was 28.
In responding to the report, the Natural Resources and Environment Minister Datuk Seri Azmi Khalid said the Government was doing its best but laws that were at odds with one another and environmental guidelines that lacked bite made it tough to reduce pollution in the country.
The index ranked 56 industrialised and rapidly industrialising countries that together produced 90% of global carbon dioxide emissions.
The index evaluated how much countries were doing to protect against climate change.
Azmi said the state of current legislations made it difficult to protect some 60% of forest cover that remained in the country.
“When states decide to sell off land, there will be development which then implies pollution,” he said, adding that the Federal Government has no jurisdiction over state land.
Azmi said his ministry could only regulate chemical waste while local governments were in charge of other types of waste.
However, Azmi said he was not concerned about how the index, drawn up by the environmental group Germanwatch, ranked Malaysia.
“We are doing our best. We have also signed 20 international treaties and are committed to reducing carbon dioxide.”
However, Azmi said the Government could not work alone in checking the problem.
“We are slowly moving towards a greener environment, but we need the help of the public to do that. For instance, we encourage the use of biodiesel, which reduces greenhouse gases and we encourage car makers to use green engines.”
Azmi said Malaysia was ranked lower than Indonesia because the country was more industrialised.
In a press release on Monday, Germanwatch said the results clearly showed current efforts to stop dangerous climate change were insufficient.

Top Bottom