Is it worth? - E46 323i 98/99

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fredphua

Club Guest
I came across a 323i 1998/1999, CBU repainted to white color from original blue. Mileage 101K (sounds low), no service record, original 17" rim, they just redo the leather seat, front and rear lamp (not sure is it called converted), 3 spoke M3 steering. Asking for RM72K net.1. Is it still worth to get 98/99 year car now? 2. Is above car in market value?3. Interest will be high, and let say I drive for another 3 years, resale value definitely bad cause can't get anymore bank loan. What do all expert here think? 4. Maintenance (can;t find 323 specific in service and maintenance thread)5. Since so much thing has changed, it definetely can't called original anymore. Will it affect the future value?

sounds a bit fishy, why redo the leather seats if the usage has only been around 100k?
only my drivers side, at 300kms needs doing.

also i would not personally buy a car that has been repainted a non stock colour. most painters do not get it right, leaving bits of the old colour visible.

Try to find more options. I'm sure there's plenty. Don't rush it, bro. The whole history on the E46 sounds a bit iffy.

If it were me, I would look for more options then decide which one I like.

fredphua;558390 said:
I came across a 323i 1998/1999, CBU repainted to white color from original blue. Mileage 101K (sounds low), no service record, original 17" rim, they just redo the leather seat, front and rear lamp (not sure is it called converted), 3 spoke M3 steering. Asking for RM72K net.

1. Is it still worth to get 98/99 year car now?
2. Is above car in market value?
3. Interest will be high, and let say I drive for another 3 years, resale value definitely bad cause can't get anymore bank loan. What do all expert here think?
4. Maintenance (can;t find 323 specific in service and maintenance thread)
5. Since so much thing has changed, it definetely can't called original anymore. Will it affect the future value?

Bro, try to search for service record. It is important that for u to drive on in future to save ur wallet. Since its year 1998/1999, meaning 11 years been using in malaysia. Mileage must also need to check either its genuine or reseted b4. Accessories are extras, u must consider the car condition 1st, if the condition acceptable n with service record, then last is bonus from accessories. The reason why it is 72k, because hard to get loan after 10 years. 323 is basically down grade of 325 which having 170hp (equilant to 2.2 hp) whereas 325 pump up 192hp. It is true that resale value is very low cause u buying 1998, by the time u sell it back, it might be 13 or 14 years. People cant take loan, to buy cash, ur car value will drop alot.

Bro, the final decision still urself.

thanks for the input.

Service record is not longer available. However the dealer allow me to send this car to the mechanic for a detail check. I managed to look at the car garan also and i noticed that the car plate has changed 2 times and 3 name changed (Mr A to Mr B to Mr C. Mr B and Mr C are sibling as they have same address). Dealer says they know the owner and the owner is trying to get ride of tax by changing car.

If the mileage is really 102Kkm only for 10-11 years car, I'd says that the mileage is really low.

Comparing with getting a new car with the same amount of RM (RM72K). I believe the depreciation for a new car is much higher than this 323 right? The only downside is 323 by that time might not be able to get anymore loan and buyers need to pay with cash.

Since the car without service record. Send to a good workshp like Mspeed or M1 to inspec properly on body (accident free) and engine/gearbox. Registration card wise, u can request to change to new card. Do u have pictures of the car ? mayb u can send me some ex and interior pictures to see the car still ok. Regarding the price, try ur best to lower to 70k. If u have the money for downpayment, i strongly suggest u get a normal year 03' 325 or 325 SMG which selling cheap nowadays. Go survey more in market, choose the best condition and then decide.

Like me, i survey 70 units before bought mine 320i. So u wont regret later of spending on repair or worrying bout resale value. Im sure there is plenty of nice 325 in market. Dont rush when buying 2nd hand car, E46 is the most sellable model for BMW. Try search in mudah.com as i always do. Compare others with the 323 u saw.

Thanks perry. Too bad my budget is around 70K at the moment and that is why i'm attracted by this 323. Like most of the people say, cheap thing not good and good thing didn't come cheap, or you have to hold the thirst by eating salty fish (Cantonese). I think I'll have to factor in the resale value if I'm getting this 10 years old car.

The key factor now is the inspection by mechanic. Hope I can get more info from them.

Since u have only budget RM70k. It is true that u can afford for this car price. 323 is 2.500cc, maintenance and parts replacement are same as 325. For ur concerned, better inspect the car properly. If found faulty or parts broken, ask the dealer to replace it, give u warranty on engine and gearbox around 1 month period. Its definitely minimise the chances of spending much for repair in future. Below are few important items u must inspec :-

1. Engine - oil leaking, vanos, MAF sensor, water hose any leak, steering rack lose
2. Radiator - fan, termostat, aircond fan, temperator
3. Interior - radio player, instrument light (meter), airbag
4. Gearbox - steptronic, smooth on changing gear, gb oil leak
5. Suspension - absorber, bushing

These are the important parts u need to check because it is much expensive compared to others.
Another important issue to check is body. Open up front and rear bonnet, check the parts alignment. If the car got heavy accident b4, the parts position will run out alot. Take out door rubber to check the car is sambung kereta or not.

Those are my personal oppinions. Try ur best :D

thanks for all the input. The car has been taken by another person.

Right now continue keep an eye on either 320 or 325 model.

Top Bottom