How ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

AndyInc

Club Guest
Dudes,After reading threads and listening to friends, I am still curious .. how underpowered is the 318i engine? Coz from what I see, everyone is like 318i = no good ! So seriuosly, how underpowered is it? Is it slower than my Perdana V6? I'm thinking of getting a UDM, and I think the 318i is okay .. but in comparison with my Perdana, how ? Need advice :confused: ..

I am driving E36 318i...n frankly, itz a good drive for me. I wud not say that perdana is better than 318i(note the displacement different) though. Maintenance wise, kurang sakit kepala than the 6 potterz. Long live 4 pot.

regards
manjit

P.S. I beat a 325 over a corner not a long time ago...puas hati!!!!!!

Underpowered or not really depends on the driver. For every 318i driver you see saying it's underpowered, you'll find another saying it's not. If you do drive aggresively, then yes, you might find power a little lacking. After all, it's a 1.8 engine with 1.5 tonnes to pull. To compare it with the Perdana is comparing a 4 pot engine with a 6 potter. Yes, I think the Perdana is lighter (I may be wrong). Yes, the Perdana has 2 more pots. But mind you, BMW does a lot more with an engine than a Proton. So I wouldn't say the Perdana has won it.

If you're thinking driving comfort and safety, then a 318i is enough for you.

If you're a Jekyll/Hyde person like me who, once a while, wants to tear down the highway screaming 'Power! POWER!', then go for a 325i or 328i. It sure beats trying to modify a 4 pot later. I'm very happy with my E36 325i.

When deciding which one you want to get, I'm afraid it isn't us who should tell you which is better as both have their well documented advantages (318i road tax not that sakit mah). It's you asking yourself what are you really looking for.

No one can give an answer that u want .........

Just go to any car dealer and test drive the 318.....325.......and 328.......

The u can make up ur mind which model that u want ........

ratchet said:
Underpowered or not really depends on the driver. For every 318i driver you see saying it's underpowered, you'll find another saying it's not. If you do drive aggresively, then yes, you might find power a little lacking. After all, it's a 1.8 engine with 1.5 tonnes to pull. To compare it with the Perdana is comparing a 4 pot engine with a 6 potter. Yes, I think the Perdana is lighter (I may be wrong). Yes, the Perdana has 2 more pots. But mind you, BMW does a lot more with an engine than a Proton. So I wouldn't say the Perdana has won it.

If you're thinking driving comfort and safety, then a 318i is enough for you.

If you're a Jekyll/Hyde person like me who, once a while, wants to tear down the highway screaming 'Power! POWER!', then go for a 325i or 328i. It sure beats trying to modify a 4 pot later. I'm very happy with my E36 325i.

When deciding which one you want to get, I'm afraid it isn't us who should tell you which is better as both have their well documented advantages (318i road tax not that sakit mah). It's you asking yourself what are you really looking for.
agree with u, also depending on your budget, if u have the budget to get a 325, then go for it rather than keep thinking that will regreat later buying 318. if u r always driving a 2 litre car and above, i think u will feel underpower with 318, however, if u just wanna enjoy the ride and POWER POWERR...issue is not your concern, then 318 is definately OK. i am driving a E46 318 and i dun feel underpower. u know Y? coz i am driving a iswara 1.3 last time, kekekekekke

Lionel_Koh said:
No one can give an answer that u want .........

Just go to any car dealer and test drive the 318.....325.......and 328.......

The u can make up ur mind which model that u want ........
very good idea, that will clear all your doubt, if u r a genuine buyer, i bet the dealer wont mind letting u try all the 3 model. if they dun let u test drive, then buy a kite for them to fly, find others, sooooooo many BMW dealer. also make sure u understand roughly what is the maintenance & service cost diffrence between 4 potter and 6 potter.

BlueMixWhite said:
325 or 328 all hell break loose, 318 hell door wont open!! Hahaha....i got a 318i.

my i318 hell!!!! everything is loose....

well..... if money is not a problem for u..... go for at least 325i...
u will never regret on the look and also the power...
but money is a concern, then if u want "gaya", "safety" & "reliable"... go for 318i..
u will definitely find 318i is a much better car than Perdana....
i owned a Perdana before and now an e90 325i.... wow.... so much of differences...
my brother own a 318i..... wow so much of differences if compare with Perdana.... and wow wow wow.... so much of differences if compare with 325i....

318 i is not too bad at all...i still can feel the power esp when accelerate...no regret buying it....

Personally, if yoru can afford it, get at least a 325 instead. I am not saying 318 is a bad car,just 325 or 328 would be more "fun". :)

not tht its underpowered as compared to the perdana v6 bro...remember tht the perdana is a V6!.....
not tht its tht much more powerful thn the 318i....just a lil bit more...nothing tht a little tweaking cant help...hehe

best bet is to look for 4pot sufus like kevster,pussy and fabianyee...they will help u out in ur queries..

rgds,
-brad-

AndyInc,

Where do you wanna go with TOP SPEED?
Put it this way Bimmer will owez have it own touch, no matter where you park or drive, people will say "Wooowwww BMW lah" i dont think you will get that kind impression when you drive your perdana rite!

P/s; I drove E36 318i before, frankly speaking it is nice car...

CHEERS

Is there a big power difference between the E36 318i and E36 318is? Cos i m driving the 318is and have yet to try the normal ones, my friend who drives a 325i said that my car has got more torgue and power. And since i have yet to try any others, can i have some opinion?

heheh .. agree with the statement.... that is very true .. i've put it to myself when i'm driving now is sentra and my wife myvvi...the urge of torque is not there when u used to have it ...in that sense... better opt for future 2.0l or above...wish rather be lah...

AndyInc said:
how underpowered is the 318i engine? Coz from what I see, everyone is like 318i = no good ! So seriuosly, how underpowered is it? Is it slower than my Perdana V6?

bantai terus subaru impreza lah. kalau takut underpower! sure puas hati! kot kot bantai evo 6... lagi mencanak pergi, kalau boleh sapu terus evo 7. sure hati senang! tapi siap la, kena cekik minyak...

hmm.....
e46 drive by wire experience beats perdana hands down..
maybe those 318s tells you underpowered cause they drove or drove against 325s or 328s...

anyway like zoggee said, all hell breaks loose for his beemer... hahaha

burn said:
bantai terus subaru impreza lah. kalau takut underpower! sure puas hati! kot kot bantai evo 6... lagi mencanak pergi, kalau boleh sapu terus evo 7. sure hati senang! tapi siap la, kena cekik minyak...

kot bantai aje VR4 RS twin turbo dlm perdana tu, 260bhp terui. ha engko.. haha

Top Bottom