How to differentiate between B8 and B6?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bimmers

Club Guest
Hello sifus..Actually I'm planning to change my absorber with Bilstien B8.Im driving e46 2.2.But I dont know how to differentiate it with B6,as I know both of them yellow in color.One guy offers me his B8 but when I saw it, I couldn't recognize.I'm afraid he tried to bullshit me bcoz I dont know him well.So,any sifus could u all please tell me the difference.And how about the price,almost same or big different?TQ.

B6 and B8 both also got big(monotube) and small (twin tube) shaft.....

The best way to check of cause thru the parts no.....u can check at bilstein official site....

U might differentiate B6 n B8 thru d d length of d shaft which B6 having a longer shaft compared B8...

Hope this may help and also not hope not giving a wrong infor to u...

Lionel_Koh;523775 said:
B6 and B8 both also got big(monotube) and small (twin tube) shaft.....

The best way to check of cause thru the parts no.....u can check at bilstein official site....

U might differentiate B6 n B8 thru d d length of d shaft which B6 having a longer shaft compared B8...

Hope this may help and also not hope not giving a wrong infor to u...

Lionel, B8 also in small shaft? Hmmm..someting new for me..

simple way is get part number at bilstein web & compare it.this is what i did even i buy 4 pcs brand new b8 from singapore spare part shop.

When i buy 6 pc of spark plug from fellow bimmer, i told him to confirm the part no i gave him. Once it is confirmed, only the deal is on.

If not mistaken, you can fix B6 with even original springs, B8 is designed for car with lowered springs installed, thus, B6's shaft is longer than B8. I think both B6 & B8 has same size of fat shaft.

bmw7833;523778 said:
Lionel, B8 also in small shaft? Hmmm..someting new for me..

B8 big shaft refer to monotube like below ......

Bilsteinb8monotube.jpg

B8 small shaft refer to twin tube.....

BilsteinSprintB8.jpg

chili e30;523782 said:
simple way is get part number at bilstein web & compare it.this is what i did even i buy 4 pcs brand new b8 from singapore spare part shop.

Yes ...its the best way to confirm ..........

wan520i;524314 said:
If not mistaken, you can fix B6 with even original springs, B8 is designed for car with lowered springs installed, thus, B6's shaft is longer than B8. I think both B6 & B8 has same size of fat shaft.

yes .....B6 shaft longer to match with OEM spring and B8 shorter to match lowered spring .......

Both B6 and B8 also got monotube (Big shaft ) and twin tube (small shaft ).....

What i saw was small shaft (rear)..
but forgot to take serial no..

:hmmmm:

so,visually we can't differentiate b8 and b6?
How about the price,big difference?

Bimmers;524800 said:
so,visually we can't differentiate b8 and b6?
How about the price,big difference?

can only u r very familiar with the product.............

u will be surprise the price is not much different actually ...........But performance big shaft (monotube) is way better then small shaft ( twin tube)........

Top Bottom