F30 test drive - 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
docrayboy;739906 said:
Ultimate Verdict-Keep our E90 cars-for now at least, till.....M Sports Versions come out, till.....the next generation 3 series?? Oh oh.....

No la even if I can afford I wont buy the Msport, just accessories add on with lil handling upgrade.
I rather buy E36 or E46 ///M3 or E39 ///M5

Just tested the F30 328i myself... my opinion:

1. Steering too skinny. Too light at low speed, similar to a camry. At high speed, is OK....
2. While power might be there, I really miss the 6 cylinder sound and smoothness during acceleration. Instead of a jet engine vuuuuuuuu, i get a rrrrrrrrrrrrr.
3. The display just doesn't feel right where it is. Should be made retractable.
4. Doesn't have Comfort Access! WTF!
5. Navigation still sucks, same as on the E90. I thought BMW would have significantly updated the maps! NOT!!!!
6. Seats are smaller...but i tested the Luxury line, not the sports line.

In short, the F30 328i in its present configuration and form is not for me. Will stick to my E90 for now and save up for an F10 I guess!:10:

Ha ha, I went to test drive 328 sport in JB, last week.

I pretty love the way the car is designed and packaged. Only missing adjustable damper and front seat tilting capability.

And I love TURBO kick :top: As opposed to some of you who still missing the inline 6 :D

I think we all have to move forward and adjust our thinking like the ppl in BMW, turbo and downsizing is the way for future. Don't live in the past and crave for inline 6, or V8. If you really miss that, buy a turbo 4pot, keep all the money you save. And rent V8 car once in a while ;)

328Sport;743685 said:
Ha ha, I went to test drive 328 sport in JB, last week.

I pretty love the way the car is designed and packaged. Only missing adjustable damper and front seat tilting capability.

And I love TURBO kick :top: As opposed to some of you who still missing the inline 6 :D

I think we all have to move forward and adjust our thinking like the ppl in BMW, turbo and downsizing is the way for future. Don't live in the past and crave for inline 6, or V8. If you really miss that, buy a turbo 4pot, keep all the money you save. And rent V8 car once in a while ;)

We can always aspire for the turbo inline 6 like on the F30 335i.... best of both worlds (if have the moolah lah!)

If I have that amount of money to move up to 335i, I probably get a E250 -> better steering feel than F10.

Downsizing is inevitable in this ages. Ford's "game changer" new 3 cylinder turbo engine...it's footprint can fit into an a4 paper, but gives abt 100 bhp and I believe emits around 100g of CO2. Even the new m3 will revert back to 6 cylinder but still produces 400+ bhp, still quite cool. To compensate for the loss of the old "sexy" engine sound, bmw's solution seem to be to emulate and pipe an artificial sound using the car stereo...as done in the current m5..might as well live with the natural sound of the engine...

328Sport;743811 said:
If I have that amount of money to move up to 335i, I probably get a E250 -> better steering feel than F10.

hi,

u meant all current E class has better steering feel than F10 or only E250??

I just took delivery of my dad's F10 520i today and drove 400 kms! Decided on i rather than d coz I felt the pulling and thrusting of the d would not suit my dad. I have to say, the 4-pot TP Turbo is freaking remarkable. Coupled with the 8-spd, it can be really smooth (even better than 6-pot - I can explain but too long) while potent when necessary (the flat torque up to 4,000 rpms). Can't wait for my F30 in 328i guise. I have been sold on TP Turbo ever since I got my RCZ last year. Since then, I found it so much more fun to drive (in terms of drivetrain) than my E92, especially in urban KL traffic. So, you can imagine my JOY when BMW took this forced induction approach. The day will come when even the F30 320i will terrorise the streets (esp. on 'em JDMs)

There are tuning boxes available for the 520, 528 already!! Impressive figures, for 528 the quoted hp is 296hp!

ALBundy;747111 said:
There are tuning boxes available for the 520, 528 already!! Impressive figures, for 528 the quoted hp is 296hp!

Great stuff! But what good power when the car handles like a big whale?

Hmm..... I expected more from the F30 as it's BMW's latest champion. Looks like the reviewers agree with some of our driving impressions. The E90 was more of a driver's car.

I tested the 328i and upon moving the first thing that I realize is the disconnected feeling between the chassis and steering which is merc like...while the engine is lively, the sound it makes sucks when u compare it to the sweet sounding 6potter...so dissapointed with this car and stop halfway the test drive and ask my SA to drive back...

basically the current generation is made to outsell mercs so from corporate point of view its ok but for bmw enthusiast its a total let down...the F10 and F30 not my cup of tea at all...

i am allocated an e90 320i courtesy car and the e90 still for me a pure drivers car...e60 as well...

Hope they will come out with a better feel on the Msport versions.. Sport suspensions,steering response with thick fat steering..till then E90 still wins my heart.. How i wish can plunk the inline 4 twin Ts and 8 speeders on my ride..crossbreed hehe

Here is my take on the situation especially when, we are all so passionate about our rides. When I got my E36, my uncle who had an E30 bashed it up saying it was bloated and a departure from the spirit of a 3er. I was no angel, as I did the same when the E46 and E90 came out. But that was many many years ago. Now that we have moved on, neither my Uncle nor I who have since sold our rides, would ever consider those cars as our daily drivers again. We did have a smile though recounting those drives and conversations we had. Take what you will from this observation.

Jason

t2ribena;751440 said:
I tested the 328i and upon moving the first thing that I realize is the disconnected feeling between the chassis and steering which is merc like...while the engine is lively, the sound it makes sucks when u compare it to the sweet sounding 6potter...so dissapointed with this car and stop halfway the test drive and ask my SA to drive back...

basically the current generation is made to outsell mercs so from corporate point of view its ok but for bmw enthusiast its a total let down...the F10 and F30 not my cup of tea at all...

i am allocated an e90 320i courtesy car and the e90 still for me a pure drivers car...e60 as well...

Hi tribena, I also own an E90 so I think I can relate n understand ur feeling. The electric steering always gives that light and perhaps disconnected feeling, compared to the hydraulic ones. However, I believe the feeling is there, just that's its not so familiar since its a lot lighter than the E90's setup. It's that lack of weight that makes that disconnected feeling more. But as you corner, I can still sense what the tyres are doing so for me it was ok. Perhaps with the msport springs it will defintely make it more "traditional". So perhaps it's just a metter of getting used to it. Comparatively, sometime back I test drove a Subaru Impreza SGT (the WRX equiv) when it was launched. Now..that is clear example of a car that has poor steering...totally no feeling, that the driver cannot commit and slows down at corners.

I tested both 320D and 328 Sports. Not much comment on 320D as it was a short drive and plus jam time. The torque was great. On another occassion tested the 328 sports, its really agile and powerful. The driving esperience controls is excellent too, can really feel the steering tightens up in sports mode and even on Eco Pro when you step on the gas pedal, it will still pulls away.

I saw some post that Luxury drive test is bad, is it due to sport line has the sport suspension? For malaysia, i think the sport lines doesn't comes with it right. So both Luxury & Sport should drive the same? Worried, cos i am planning to get Luxury.

Chivas;751653 said:
I tested both 320D and 328 Sports. Not much comment on 320D as it was a short drive and plus jam time. The torque was great. On another occassion tested the 328 sports, its really agile and powerful. The driving esperience controls is excellent too, can really feel the steering tightens up in sports mode and even on Eco Pro when you step on the gas pedal, it will still pulls away.

I saw some post that Luxury drive test is bad, is it due to sport line has the sport suspension? For malaysia, i think the sport lines doesn't comes with it right. So both Luxury & Sport should drive the same? Worried, cos i am planning to get Luxury.

Both lines comes with the same setting, same suspension, etc. the only different is how they look. :)

Top Bottom