Engine Top Overhaul

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by elwine30@Jan 12 2005, 08:03 PM
jip,

finally made the choice eh. when r u going down to senawang ???
dunno mate....evrything depends on master kevs enticing master kenneth down to his spider web...I mean shop..... for some spit and polish....

U c, kenneth has the PU tailing arm bushes I want ....so once he comes down and passes them bushes over to kev, I can fix date to go to senawang....i want to do subframe bush and tariling arm bush at one go ....

Why bro? u wanna come along? You are most welcum :) coz I dunno what I'll be doing for a whole day at senawang.....eh got spa there arrr?.....

Gentleman.............

You guys are beginning to go off topic here *sigh*......please start a new thread for this purpose if you insist on carrying on this discussion, thank you..............

To answer this thread:

A top overhaul is done when the following situation arises:

1) Excessive consumption of engine oil due to worn valve guides.

2) Noisy hydraulic lifters need to be replaced.

3) Excesive carbon build-up in the compression chamber and/or on the valves and the valve seats.

4) Camshaft is worn out.

.........these are some common scenarios which would require a top overhaul. These are the ones off the top of my head, there are more believe me.

BTW, a compression test is usually performed to determine the condition of your piston rings and very rarely indicates that you need a top overhaul!

A top-overhaul :

1) Removing the cyclinder head

2) Replacing all the valve guides (if necessary)

3) Replacing the neccessary worn vavles.

4) MUST replace all valve seals.

5) Must re-grind and re-seat valves (to ensure proper compression is achieved)

6) Replacement of the camshaft if neccessary.

7) Replacement of cam bearings and seals.

8) Of course everything needs to be thoroughly cleaned, including the combustion chambers and oil and water passages.

9) New head gasket set upon re-installation.

10) All bolts MUST be replaced in BMW engines as they are consumables and can never be reused!!! You have been warned!

This is just a rough guideline as I'm trying to keep it on layman's terms. If I have missed out anything, please feel free to add on to this reply, which is far from perfect.

Hope this helps.

Sorry...more on topic:

-How much would it cost? and

-wc wd be more cost effective? top overhaul or replace engine?

Top over haul ..is better ... deeming that u dont have worn rings pistons and crankshaft and bearings ..

An overhaul will always be better than changing the engine ./. but the cost can be monstrous ...

cheers :D

Cost of a top overhaul varies, some charges more than a thousand just for labour, and then also how much parts are you gonna replace.

Top overhauls are usually done when there is an overheating problem, either due to a cracked head or a bad gasket. Most mechanics will just grind the valves, skim the head, do pressure test, replaced head gasket and even re-used the old head screws!!

If you really have a need to do a top overhaul, I strongly suggest you to Mr. Nathan of M Power! :D

My bro's e36 needs a top overhaul and was quoted 5k by BM world of desa pandan, what do you think is it too costly.

How much would a 328 engine cost second hand to fit in to his car?

Top Bottom