E90 325i Pre Facelift

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

anxious

Club Guest
I have decided to get the E90 325i Pre Facelift next year as my 40th birthday present. I have budgeted RM150k for the purchase and am confident that prices will fall to that level. As I would probably looking at a 2006/07 ( 4-5 year old )car, finding one in good nick will be a bit of a challenge as most uninformed owners rely on BMW's BSRI servicing system which entails oil change b/w 20-25k km and may expose such cars to oil sludge problems. Someone I meet recently told me that his 2006 325i was overhauled by AB as it stalled as a result of this oil sludge problem. I prefer getting the 325i as opposed to the 325i Sport as I am more of a comfort biased person. I am also not too keen to run on 18" rims with run flats. How about the difference b/w the pre F/L cars sold b/w 2005-2007? A 2005 AB brought in 325i CBUs which sold for RM320k, I think. Then there was rhe issue of some CBUs getting stuck in Port Klang and later being sold at RM20k discount. CKDs were started in 2006 and sold for RM288k. In Aug 2007, AB sold pre reg 325i for RM260k. See http://www.autobavaria.com/driven/August2007/Aug07.php In Dec 2007, AB offered 325i for RM288k but dropped it to RM277k in Jan 2008. See http://www.autobavaria.com/driven/Jan2008/jan08_m.php I would be obliged if someone could share some insight in to the various variations of pre F/L 325i's available. I am looking out for Black on Black. That would probably rule out CBUs as most CBUs brought in by AB have ligther color interior.

Most of my classmates/contemporaries with a RM150k budget have chosen the Accord/Camry way.

However I cant imagine doing so as driving for me is a passion rather that getting from point A to B.

After working for 15 years now, I am ready to reward myself with a little more luxury though.

Whilst I would love to get a new 325i, I just cannot come to terms to splashing more than a quarter million bucks on a car esp taking into account that I wasnt born with a silver spoon.

So I guess it will be a second hand E90 325i for me.

I would certainly appreciate feedback on background info on the 325i's sold b/w 2005-2007 to enable me to make a more informed choice.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

Congrats anxious! Good move to skip up directly from E36 to E90, as was your plan all along, correct? :top:

I believe in the time range of 2005 to 2007, it was the first CBUs and the first CKDs. The first CKDs should have a few goodies that the CBUs didn't, such as adaptive steering, highbeam assist, etc. I'm not too sure when bluetooth and USB were added, perhaps in 2008. However the CBUs should have the base control units and wiring harnesses to add the available options at a much lower cost than for CKDs. CBUs are spec-ed for option availability, whereas CKDs have the options fixed already. For the CBUs look out for the oil burn issue of the early units. The other forumers may know more than me.

My contribution is, don't discount the Sports off-hand. I too thought that the M-Suspension would be too harsh, but did a back-to-back test drive of the 325i and 325i Sports, and found that there was little difference. I also prefered the non-adaptive steering of the Sports as feels tighter to me. You should do the same back-to-back test drive at any dealer before you discount the Sports. Besides the M-goodies, it comes with iDrive and a great navigation system la! :love:

anxious;493217 said:
I have decided to get the E90 325i Pre Facelift next year as my 40th birthday present. I have budgeted RM150k for the purchase and am confident that prices will fall to that level.

As I would probably looking at a 2006/07 ( 4-5 year old )car, ....

anx, congrats on your plan. You wrote next year but that would make 2006/07 car 5-6yrs old actually? Or you're basing off lunar calendar which is less than half hour to go :)

anx

go for it bro...., i just got mine non sport E90 325 06 CKD.....(Alhamdulillah....after 26 yrs of day in day out)...hehhehehehehe) previous owner has done most of external mod like msport bodykit, eibach s spring, lotta carbon fiber stuffs and many more. so far no regret.

choq:eek:

I think you should try to get your hands on both models, as Schwepps suggests, and try both out. Having said that, I also understand your preference towards comfort. I spend a great deal of time in Penang each month and I have noticed that when driving there, the potholes and unevenness for which the roads are famed, makes a short drive almost hellish. Ugh.....don't get me started on the roads in Penang.

Ennui78;493542 said:
I think you should try to get your hands on both models, as Schwepps suggests, and try both out. Having said that, I also understand your preference towards comfort. I spend a great deal of time in Penang each month and I have noticed that when driving there, the potholes and unevenness for which the roads are famed, makes a short drive almost hellish. Ugh.....don't get me started on the roads in Penang.

Ur absolutely right. 70% of the time I am driving b/w my home in Tg Bungah and Office/ Court in Georgetown. What makes it worse that after road works, there is patch up work instead of retarring the entire road.

I only really enjoy my driving during the weekends.

I have test driven the E90 325i LCI Sports in Alor Setar but that was mainly highway driving. Havent tried out the 325i yet but the pre FL 320i was very comfortable.

It's not difficult to arrange a comparison. I just told an SA that I wanted a 325i, but needed to decide between the Sports and non-Sports, and booked an appointment to test-drive both back-to-back. Drove the non-Sports first to get the feel, then the Sports. Went on the same route, over the same ruts and potholes. That's how I found that there is virtually no difference in comfort between normal and M-suspensions in normal driving. Then my decision to get the Sports was based on the overall package and feel.

Also tested the Lexus and Audi to ensure I was making the right decision. One shouldn't buy a car with only one test-drive of one car, because then the mind is already made up even before making the appointment and you may not know what you're missing.

I think the normal 325i (non-sport) option is no longer offered. But if the intent is to compare ride handling and comfort, SA should be able to arrange a 325i Sport and another e90 non-sport variant to compare.

There were 2 batches of CBU s in 2005 both same specs incl active steering and rear foldable seats. In 2006 the first batch of ckd s had type 159 wheels instead of staggered 161 wheels. Early 06 specs had what the cbu specs had but late 06 models did t come with rear foldable seats. In 07 BMW Malaysia spec the ckds back with the staggered wheels for the 325 but later batches before just before BMW stop offering it the car came stripped down without sports steering and active steering and were made in rayong Thailand. Very limited batches of these. I believe no green band comfort glass also on the front windscreen.

If possible get a 07 car. There were notable improvements in the electronics and ecu. E.g the BMW portable navi system will only support audio and voice commands on later batch 07 cars. Also sports steering didn't have nice thumb rests till 06 on wards

Of course the welding Type differs between Munich cbu batch vs ckd. Only the lci skd now has identical weld type as seen on the shock tower mounts. Magnesium engine covers Were also gone in 07 cars and they had black top plastic engine covers for cost cutting reasons. But they had hydroformed cams if I remember right among other improvements. If I remember as well rear seats were lower on early batches giving more headroom. But isofix mounts were covered by plastic covers on the rear seat backs. Later batches had small dots on the seAt to indicate where these latches were but seats also were mounted higher giving less rear headroom.

anxious;493217 said:
I have decided to get the E90 325i Pre Facelift next year as my 40th birthday present. I have budgeted RM150k for the purchase and am confident that prices will fall to that level.

sticking with 3-series ya? good choice and I hope you find one next year that suits your liking & budget

me too now itchy to get a big bday present for myself, am ready for a replacement as well :love:

See E90 review on Top Gear

[video=youtube;fqmxjoIab1E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqmxjoIab1E[/video]

See E90 review on Fifth Gear

[video=youtube;BCRD56bLLZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCRD56bLLZw&feature=fvw[/video]

ALBundy;489737 said:

As of 2008, all the BMWs assembled locally comes with a completely welded and painted bodyshell from Germany, covered with the necessary protection to prevent any dinks and scratches. Previously, the panels were welded locally at the previous plant at Shah Alam. I did some close inspection and noticed even the inner parts of the shell were painted, which was a pleasant surprise as I remember during my visit to the Regensburg plant, the interior was not painted with the car's color.

We were shown how the body shell is uncovered and the inspection that was done before "other parts" are bolted onto the car. The engine and transmission come pre-assembled from Germany and all is needed is to mate the two together, with other ancillaries such as alternator and so on. Almost all the parts bolted on the car are from Germany and about 25-30%local content was used, as part of the government's initiative to promote growth in the local automotive industry. The local content used are all up to BMW's stringest standards and as such the cars built in this plant is of no difference to a CBU unit in terms of quality and reliability.

There is a dedicated line for BMWs only, and in this plant only the E90 (320i, 323i, 325i and 320D) and E60 (523i 525i and 530i) are assembled.

Upon the completion of the assembling process, the cars are all subjected to strict quality assessment process similar to any BMW plant in the world. In additional to that, random quality checks are conducted and this results determine the efficacy of the assembling plant, and if the results are deemed unworthy the assembling line will be stopped!! From the audit data presented to us, the BMWs assembled here are amongst the best compared to other LVP plants, the other plant being consistently high is at Thailand.

Albundy
President

see http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=489737

Does this mean that the LCIs are somewhat better put together?

Bro, I think there have been more complaints about the LCI build quality and cost saving measures than there were for non-LCI CKDs! Read the other threads, eg the current rattling and vibrating issues one.

IMO, the first one two batches of the Pre-LCI CKD are the best so far. That will be those 2006 & 2007.

I would agree with DY, but I would add that my 2008 unit has been perfect so far. Pre-LCI 2006-2008 were good. LCI 2009 onwards have had multiple complaints.

I have seen lemon Toyota if u know what I mean.. its a number game and always, there will be a handful of lemons.. so it all depends on your luck.. ask yourself, do u deserve to be lucky?! :eek: :D

The LCI has a wider wheel traction, partly due to the more aggressive wheels offset.. cornering and high speed stability should be more superior over its predecessor.. super cool LEDs turn and side markers with a groves over bonnet that resemble a female organ.. why settle for less?! :D

Seriously, what's the interest rate like for a used car? Do u save a lot? Depends on the loan amount I guess but please consider the 320d as well.. super economy with extra ordinary torque! 2 years warranty, zero mileage, low interest, no worries over history of the car... everything new down to the brake pads, rotor and RFTs..

i think most of us can only afford used bmws la... dollar for dollar i would be driving a porsche if i was in the US or UK. here, the price of a new bmw is equivalent to an apartment. Go Figure.

Top Bottom