E46 vent hack and A/C relocation

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

ocdetective

Club Guest
Anyone know if any of the car audio shops around the Klang Valley have any experience in doing the vent hack and relocation of the A/C on an E46 so as to fit a double din unit (I have the required carrier kit on order from Germany). I was going to install a carputer however after reading about issues with screen legibility due to glare I am now interested in installing the IVA-W200 and linking it with their KCA-620 so I can attach my Iriver or even an external USB drive.

wow... this better to pick an installer who's done it before... drop by any of the more reputable installers and see what they say... if anything, good to get a feel of the guys you'd be trusting your install with particularly where its not a straightforward job... more so with cars from e46 generation onwards due to their more complicated electronics... keep us posted... very interested to see the results...

OC,

Considering the fact the E46 has only a single DIN, why not look at the IVA-D300 or the newer D310 which should meet your needs and some. Money spent on the hacking and etc cud be channelled to the purchase of the D310 instead, IMHO. It's a much more complete HU with motorized touch screen functions and a fantastic onboard processor too.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/products/prod...?model=IVA-D310

As Eric mentioned, the sheer amount of work involved for the dash mod and the complexity of the wiring loom and onboard electronics will put a lot of installers off. Just a thought ....

Cheers,

Two places that can do it are:-

1. Stuttgart
----> labour charges are like AB, by the way

2. Le Fleur Audio in SS3 PJ
----> authorised dealers for BMW parts
----> kitted out an e60 along with the required re-wiring etc. And why re-wiring? Because when you move the ac controls the "warning" lights will start popping up on your dash board!

No exp with Stuttgart on the Hi-Fi d-in install but have exp with Le F and they're good. No bull s**t service and very in-your-face opinions if they think you're being an ass regarding your ICE setup.

Good luck, dude.

Originally posted by popeadrian@Jun 30 2006, 03:13 PM
Two places that can do it are:-

1. Stuttgart
----> labour charges are like AB, by the way

2. Le Fleur Audio in SS3 PJ
----> authorised dealers for BMW parts
----> kitted out an e60 along with the required re-wiring etc. And why re-wiring? Because when you move the ac controls the "warning" lights will start popping up on your dash board!

No exp with Stuttgart on the Hi-Fi d-in install but have exp with Le F and they're good. No bull s**t service and very in-your-face opinions if they think you're being an ass regarding your ICE setup.

Good luck, dude.

Pope,

Is that ss3 place the place you took me to get my Clarion video ipod player installed? If it is, then its Highly Recommended!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Vanguish, the D310 was definitely another option I was considering. The drawback is that the screen would block the vents when in use - however I was considering to relocate the a/c to the lower position (sunglasses tray) and insert the D310 where the A/C is now and maybe have a blanking plate above that (where the radio is now). I am not sure however if the single din in that lower position would be obstructed by some of the internal vents?
The other drawback to the D310 is obviously it doesnt look as integrated into the dash as the W200 would - however once the double din bezel (USD 250) and the extra cost of hacking the vents and relocating the A/C are taken into consideration I dont expect much difference between the 2 systems in price.
Popeadrian the A/C is not rewired, you merely relocate it below its existing position in the sunglasses tray and use the same wiring (its long enough). It doesnt trigger off any warnings as this retrofit has been done many times by those installing carputers with a double din screen and lately IVA-W200 and Pioneer double din Avics.
BTW where exactly is LeFleur audio in SS3 - I can go along and sound them out.

Originally posted by ocdetective@Jul 3 2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Vanguish, the D310 was definitely another option I was considering. The drawback is that the screen would block the vents when in use - however I was considering to relocate the a/c to the lower position (sunglasses tray) and insert the D310 where the A/C is now and maybe have a blanking plate above that (where the radio is now). I am not sure however if the single din in that lower position would be obstructed by some of the internal vents?
The other drawback to the D310 is obviously it doesnt look as integrated into the dash as the W200 would - however once the double din bezel (USD 250) and the extra cost of hacking the vents and relocating the A/C are taken into consideration I dont expect much difference between the 2 systems in price.
Popeadrian the A/C is not rewired, you merely relocate it below its existing position in the sunglasses tray and use the same wiring (its long enough). It doesnt trigger off any warnings as this retrofit has been done many times by those installing carputers with a double din screen and lately IVA-W200 and Pioneer double din Avics.
BTW where exactly is LeFleur audio in SS3 - I can go along and sound them out.
Dude, youre right on the "not-rewiring" thing. Guess I didnt make myself clear.... what i meant was that for some odd reason (or maybe it was just that particular car), the warning lights started blinking away. Oh well, it happens to the best of them, sometimes :)

Anyway, the place is in SS3 near the Seaport Secondary School. If you're familiar with the place, its on the same row as the Al-Ehsan shop. Basically, head towards the Shell/7-11 station in SS3 and you'll come to the Al-Ehsan (Malay food shop) on the corner of the block opposite 7-11. The audio shop is a few lots down. Huge Blaupunkt signage outside.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the info. Last question for now on this subject, as this is a big ticket item does anyone know if it would be cheaper to buy the alpine unit from S'pore than here?

personally, i'd be inclined to get a local unit from the installer for warranty reasons... in case something goes wrong, particularly when the item costs that much... unless its significantly cheaper in spore...

Name Change??

popeadrian said:
Dude, youre right on the "not-rewiring" thing. Guess I didnt make myself clear.... what i meant was that for some odd reason (or maybe it was just that particular car), the warning lights started blinking away. Oh well, it happens to the best of them, sometimes :)

Anyway, the place is in SS3 near the Seaport Secondary School. If you're familiar with the place, its on the same row as the Al-Ehsan shop. Basically, head towards the Shell/7-11 station in SS3 and you'll come to the Al-Ehsan (Malay food shop) on the corner of the block opposite 7-11. The audio shop is a few lots down. Huge Blaupunkt signage outside.

Good luck!
I went looking for the place called Le Fleur but on the same row as the Al-Ehsan could only find a place called JPS Audio with a big Blaupunkt sign outside - has Le Fleur changed its name?

OK thought I would give an update to this. Just to say I have had the IVA-W200E double din successfully installed in my E46 thanks to the excellent work done by the guys at OUR in Taman Megah.
Fully functional, linked up to Ipod (situated in glove compartment and fully controllable via Alpine/steering wheel) and has steering wheel control for track changing, volume changing, mute and mode changing thanks to use of PAC SWI-ALP.

ocdetective said:
OK thought I would give an update to this. Just to say I have had the IVA-W200E double din successfully installed in my E46 thanks to the excellent work done by the guys at OUR in Taman Megah.
Fully functional, linked up to Ipod (situated in glove compartment and fully controllable via Alpine/steering wheel) and has steering wheel control for track changing, volume changing, mute and mode changing thanks to use of PAC SWI-ALP.

care to take a photo of your center console, with the relocated air-cond unit of coz. :) Just wanna see how it looks like.

Tt?

ocdetective said:
Did a couple with my camphone - will try post up later but not so clear.

OC,

Are you going for the TT tomorrow? Would like to see your setup if you are going.

BlackCat

Sorry unlikely as I will be attending a dinner elsewhere. Once I get a pair of headrest monitors installed I will PM you and you can come by near where I live to see it if you want.

ocdetective;169623 said:

Where u've done the job? Care to share the shop??
very interesting..

As my post says OUR Auto Accessories in Taman Megah - Jalan SS24/2. I supplied them the double din face plate, the alpine unit, steering wheel control unit as well as the monitors and they just did the installation.

wow is amazing i m interested on yr setup btw can i get the 2 din bezel locally? if not how to get it?
any rewiring needed for relocate the a/c control or just plug n play?

I had to buy the double din bezel from the USA - you can find them on ebay also.
For the A/C it is just relocated (so the wiring remains the same (needs disconnecting and reconnecting of course). The A/C also needs a different holder which can be bought from AB.

Top Bottom