E46 parts & maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
IanDaddy;547430 said:
Bro, what is your mileage ? Your DISA shot already ! is it making rattling sound ?

The mileage is around 120k. The DISA was recommended to be changed by my mechanic because I was complaining about acceleration hesitation during low rpm and some annoying soft flapping noise during low end torque.

Apparently after changing the DISA today, the acceleration and noise issues are still there! I looked at the old DISA unit, I can't really tell whether it is really defective.:stupid:

Normally my mechanic is spot-on when troubleshooting a fault, but not this time.
Just gonna keep the old DISA as a spare.

Anyway, here's my additional damage today:

30-07-2010 adjuster unit 850
Valve Cover Gasket 125
valve cover bush (15pcs) 68
pressure nut 18
longshaft coupling 185
gearbox mounting (2pcs) 156
labour Charge 180
Total 1582

The defective DISA flap will be loose, you can move it with hand. And should make clok-clok sound when it is shaken.

Hope you sort out the problem soon and share the experience.

IanDaddy;547652 said:
The defective DISA flap will be loose, you can move it with hand. And should make clok-clok sound when it is shaken.

Hope you sort out the problem soon and share the experience.

Everything seems pretty tight and normal on the DISA butterfly flap. No strange noises when I shake it or turn it manually. It was just a tiny bit mushy with dirt. Anyway I took the old one home, and will study out the mechanism.

On the loss of power and the flapping noise at low RPM, I'm beginning to suspect it could be due to worn Vanos seals or maybe even a worn out oil separator. Will bring it back to the workshop next week to find out. If any of you have the same symptoms, do share your experience. Tks

Hi..im new here.. Just bought a 2nd hand e46. Need recommendation for engine oil, gear oil and filters. Plan to change these oils soon. Thanks

changing 4 new tyres 235/40 ZR18 Michilin pilot sport 2 RM890 X 4 = RM3560
adjust camber 4 wheels RM 70 X 4 = RM 280
engine oil RM192
oil filter RM35
Fan belt RM65
aircon belt RM47
gearbox oil RM290
new radiator RM785
termostat in tant RM285
radiator side cover RM265
radiator T conector RM95
radiator side tant RM265
coolant RM38
by pass hose RM140
radiator cap RM55
labour charge RM150
Total = RM6617

aiyor....the repair list so long is dizzy.... better buy toyota already

toyota canina

330Ci;547979 said:
aiyor....the repair list so long is dizzy.... better buy toyota already

toyota canina

Wouldn't risk my life, my family's lives, or anybody else's fro the matter, with a Toyota. Strange gimmicky functions there have on the toyota. They even have a special function whereby the car can accelerate itself when the driver's foot is not even on the throttle. Imagine this situation happening in a parking lot full of innocent ppl. :eek:

Cloudbuster, they are tons of resource on the Net, youtube too regarding DISA. I saw on youtube, there is a way to check if the oil separator is bad. With the engine started, when the engine oil cap is opened it will make a sound like chewpaka of StarWars.

Hey there..am new to the forum..so do help me out. Own a 1999 e36 318i for 6 years..loved it and couldn't let go so i gave it to the wife but i still maintain it(of course!). I now have acquired a 2001 e46 330i that was ordered new from Germany by my Uncle and had only done 80,000km. Beautiful power delivery and its absolutely gorgeous..repainted bumpers and bonnet in original oriental metallic blue.
My interior is light beige and I had it steam cleaned twice in KL and detailed, changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 as it still wears the 7 spoke roiginal factory rims whicj I had reconditioned and repainted here in Penang.
Had the car serviced..gone through Inspection II and had all pads changed together with both camshaft air sensors changed too.
As a bonus I really wanted a Sports Burr Walnut Multi Function Steering wheel instead of the boring original 4 spoke standard one and it took me 3 months before I found one with a functional airbag doe RM2,200.
Now...my armrest is unable to lift fully as one of the plastic hinge at the back has broken. Do any of you e46 owners come across this problem? And I would really appreciate any help if any of you could source me a second hand light beige arm rest.
Oh and happy motoring.

IanDaddy;548118 said:
Cloudbuster, they are tons of resource on the Net, youtube too regarding DISA. I saw on youtube, there is a way to check if the oil separator is bad. With the engine started, when the engine oil cap is opened it will make a sound like chewpaka of StarWars.

It's confirmed that my old DISA is OK. I disconnected the connector to the DISA, and the faint rattle/flapping noise is still there during acceleration. Narrowed down the noise to the vanos (hopefully I'm right).

Can't wait to get both the Beisan seals and the rattle kit repair done on my old lady.

PENANG330318;548361 said:
Hey there..am new to the forum..so do help me out. Own a 1999 e36 318i for 6 years..loved it and couldn't let go so i gave it to the wife but i still maintain it(of course!). I now have acquired a 2001 e46 330i that was ordered new from Germany by my Uncle and had only done 80,000km. Beautiful power delivery and its absolutely gorgeous..repainted bumpers and bonnet in original oriental metallic blue.
My interior is light beige and I had it steam cleaned twice in KL and detailed, changed all 4 tyres to Michelin Pilot Preceda 2 as it still wears the 7 spoke roiginal factory rims whicj I had reconditioned and repainted here in Penang.
Had the car serviced..gone through Inspection II and had all pads changed together with both camshaft air sensors changed too.
As a bonus I really wanted a Sports Burr Walnut Multi Function Steering wheel instead of the boring original 4 spoke standard one and it took me 3 months before I found one with a functional airbag doe RM2,200.
Now...my armrest is unable to lift fully as one of the plastic hinge at the back has broken. Do any of you e46 owners come across this problem? And I would really appreciate any help if any of you could source me a second hand light beige arm rest.
Oh and happy motoring.

Maybe tis website : eluka.com can help u.

Latest damage: 2-August-2010

Change to new radiator, plate and hoses = free bcoz claim warranty
New left handside front signal lamp (sudah crack & masuk air) = RM200
Upgraded software to version 9 = RM200 => now car become smoother than ever & got extra power WOW! :)

Pending:
Leaking gearbox & Steering rack

StopMe_;548431 said:
Latest damage: 2-August-2010

Change to new radiator, plate and hoses = free bcoz claim warranty
New left handside front signal lamp (sudah crack & masuk air) = RM200
Upgraded software to version 9 = RM200 => now car become smoother than ever & got extra power WOW! :)

Pending:
Leaking gearbox & Steering rack

Upgrade software.... fuel consumption oke x?

Statistical analysis

friends,

i've managed to kill some time to have a statistical analysis of e46 for your reference. Using the infos given by previous threads, i have compiled and created a nice cost equation that could be useful to estimate your maintenance costs next time.

the equation i've come up is :

Cost, RM = 1721.6*Ln(Num of Items) - 1976.6

Just plug in the number of items you anticipate (or spent) to a scientific calculator. Mind you this utilizes a natural logarithmic function.

The num of items is subjective whether the service is major or minor. Minor service I can suggest is four (4) num of items and major can start at ten (10) items.

Another useful indication is that if the actual cost is higher, it's either your car has a major problem or the items you're paying is actually higher than they already are.

Good luck and appreciate some comments

ir. tequilashots

TQ stephen for the valuable info. I'm a new owner.Any suggestion on where n how much it cost to install 2 LED tail lights??

B33mEr;543586 said:
Water hose outlet ori (for car comes with winter package it's longer) = RM200

Expansion Tank original = RM270

Left is the old one
SDC15078.jpg

Toyota coolant (suitable for aluminium radiator) = RM20

Where did u buy the expension tank? mine is RM570.00..

3 Aug 2010

Oil Change:

- Castrol Full Syn RM 175
- Oil Filter RM 28
- Labour Charge RM 20

10 Aug 2010:

Change Expension Tank and Power Steering Hose:

- Power Steering Hose RM 35
- Hose Clip RM 5
- Power Steering Oil RM 18
- Expension Tank RM 570 (Bimmer33 said only RM270)
- Coolent RM 40
- Labour Charge RM 60

Top Bottom