E46 parts & maintenance

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
daan;186065 said:
I need help, while I was at the mechanic, I discover something shocking.

My rear axle drive is making noice when i drivem i tot it's the tire. SO does anyone know where to get a rebuilt one? I heard a new one will cost like 7k or something.

Thanks for your help.
daan, why your helix so cheap, my one cost me RM222.50 for 5 litre, oil filter rm55, labour charge 35, any defference ?

wks.. which model do you drive?

Dr Meng MSpeed USJ today -
Oil Filter Housing Kit + Labour RM80
Fan Belt RM50

StRat;201191 said:

Fan Belt RM50

Hello budak2 skrg sudah jadi consultant cum salesman ka...

wks;201184 said:
daan, why your helix so cheap, my one cost me RM222.50 for 5 litre, oil filter rm55, labour charge 35, any defference ?
Mine is 1.9l mah

daan;186070 said:
Already change bearing lah. I checked it myself, it's the axel, die laio, new one will cost 7 or 8k i heard.

Mr Daan, did your axle still bunyi, I have talk to the mechanic and they said the center diff free play can be adjusted. This can eliminated the Klonk sound each time you accelerate or deaccelerate.

StRat;201191 said:

Fan Belt RM50
strat, mine one is E46 2.0L, 2002 facelift

YUS320;201427 said:
Mr Daan, did your axle still bunyi, I have talk to the mechanic and they said the center diff free play can be adjusted. This can eliminated the Klonk sound each time you accelerate or deaccelerate.
A bit, but now I have learn to live with it.

Latest visit to M - Laju

Front brake pads - RM150

Oil service - RM150

Next is to change the stearing coupling (the culprit for the klok klok sound when i go over humps).......heard its abt RM1k

Hey Nathan,

great meeting you at the workshop, wallet about RM1.5k lighter after changing the pair of control arms and bushes. Also changed both the fan belt bearing (RM100) and the fan belt tensioner (RM145). Problem solved, no more whining sound. I wonder how many forummers actually change those 2 parts??

nathan;202439 said:
Latest visit to M - Laju

Front brake pads - RM150

Oil service - RM150

Next is to change the stearing coupling (the culprit for the klok klok sound when i go over humps).......heard its abt RM1k

Nathan, for the "knocking" sound coming from the steering spindle, I think most of us are experiencing it and it seems to happen after the 2nd year of the life of the car. By replacing it, how long will it be before the same noise comes back again? It seems like a design fault.

Hi Tank34,

Nice meeting you too man......

Hope the 1.5k loss can be compensated by the better driving pleasure u get after changing the parts.......

On the klocking sound , Dr meng told me its the coupling rods that need to be changed........no life span was indicated..........plan to chnage it next month (after i sell of my ESOS shares, ha,ha,ha)

He said cost about 1k.........he said alot of work to be done so it will take him the whole day to do it.....

i think its a common problem......in fact i think there is a thread created for this

same like me koyak rm380 for rear right power window broken..start thinking why this thing happen like my gen 2..wonder about the quality

Dear SIFUs
I am a newbie and this is my first post I will like to contribute.My Beemer is a 2nd hand 325i, registered in 2002.This is my first servicing at 75k and after much reading from the forum here,I decided to see Dr Meng aka Kenny at M speed since it is nearer to where I live.
1/. Castrol engine oil full synthetic 2 Litres ( introductory offer) Rm 300.
2/.Mann oil filter + labour Rm 135
3/.Micro filter Rm135

Dear SIFUs
I am a newbie and this is my first post in which I would like to contribute.
I hope all the SiFus out there will advice me as I am new in the "Beemer club".
My Beemer is a 2nd hand 325i, registered in 2002.This is my first servicing at 75k and after much reading from the forum here,I decided to see Dr Meng aka Kenny at M speed since it is nearer to where I live.

1/. Castrol engine oil full synthetic 8 Litres ,Mann oil filter + labour (introductory offer) Rm300
2/.Micro filter Rm135
3/.Air filter Rm55
4/.2 Cam sensors + labour Rm800
5/.Expansion tank Rm300 &
6/.Radiator coolant 2 bottles Rm52
Total Rm1,642

Dr Meng also suggested that I change my oil level sensor (coming on & off interrmittently before I start rolling) and crankcase gasket at my next oil change.
The oil sensor is RM 500 ori BMW but OEM is Rm300 by Rober Bosch. The crancase
gasket set is about Rm600 excluding labour.Expensive compare to my previous Honda Civic but that the price you had to pay for sheer driving pleasure!

Hey Impulse,

welcome to our "sheer driving pleasure" world, which more than often is also accompanied by "Empty Wallet" experience.

Anyways, sounds like the right things to change. My car is coming up to the 65k mark and I am scheduling an expansion tank change.

Am surprised that your expansion tank lasted so long. We've heard of forummers experiencing a "cracked" expansion tank at 55,000km.

Hi Tank 34,
I considered myself fortunate to bought the car from one very careful Datin lady driver who also religiously had her car serviced by AB. Very tip top if not, mint condition.

Dr Meng suggest me to change the tank as he told me it is a life item i.e not subjected to normal wear and tear but count by number of years!
I had to buy his words as I found out by knocking the tank with my fingers,the tank reverberate distinctlively.This show the plastic had become brittle unlike the japanese made which is made from a more resilient plastic material.
Better replace it than sorry.

There are a few things here which I would like to share with all our BMW brudders here and correct me if I am wrong and to save our hard earned monies.

Dr Meng sometime gave me benefit of doubt but he may be right, depends how you look at it.He said my crankcase is leaking oil and even jack up the car to show .HE suggest me to change the gasket.
All I can see is some wetness around the lower crankcase.I think it is normal cos the gasket is made from aluminium alloy not impregnated with a rubber seal around it. Sealing is done by sandwich the metal gasket between the crankcase and lower case sump.
This is purely a metal to metal contact and different metals have different coefficient rate of expansion and contraction. Overtime,oil will just seep thru.
There are many definition of leaks i.e patches,seeping,wetness or running leaks.I done a very simple experiment to confirmed the oil leak. .Just thoroughly clean up your car porch floor of oil stain,then park your car on it overnight and the next morning, look at the floor for any tell tale signs of oil.So far, mine is o.k.and save me Rm600 for the gasket. Another way is to check your dipstick every 5k miles and see how much oil you need to add.

BMW recommend to change the engine oil at every 25k! I think not in our kind of Hot and Humid climate. I prefer to change oil at every 12k and use Castrol magnatec semi syn to do the job. A 4 litre Castrol full syn cos Rm150! but the semi
syn cos somewhere from Rm70. After all I am going to change oil at 12k,no need to pay Rm300 for the full syn.

BTW,do you know why BMW recommend to change oil at every 25K?
This is applicable In Germany where Labour charges are count by the hours excluding parts. Less workshop visit means less money spend.
Also changing the engine to a new one is better than fixing cos the new engine come from around Euro 1k depend on model? Here, it would cos us a whopping Rm40k for a new engine!
I learn this from a German Gentleman.

Here is a good site to check for your car parts and price but in USD$ This site shows the exploded views of your car also known as IPC.(Illustrated parts catalog).Check it out at RealOEM.COM

Hope all SiFus and brudders enjoy reading my threads here.
Any info and suggestion are most welcome.

coolant expansion tank

just to add my bits if i may,
change my coolant expansion tank for rm385 , ( i had a long crack in the previous one, )
1 coolant bottle rm 35 , plus labor charges rm 35 ( done by a guy who used to handle bmw cars , Lee Motors Kota Bharu ) ,.what do you think ?
my next due oil change is not for another 3000 , ( i had the first engine oil change at abm kuantan when i brought the car back ffrom uk , and yes its true that the oil change theoretically should last 20,000... ) but it sure costs a hell of a lot.
theres so many different opinions regarding engine oil here ,..keeping in mind our weather and circumstances , do you guys have any general consenus regarding whats engine oil change and duration ..
also would like input on the life of the expansion tank if any ,.. thanks.

Top Bottom