e39 steering

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

wgh939

hi, my ride is 523i yr 1997,
i would like to change my current lorry steering to m-sport 3 spoke steering,
the problem is my current steering got 2 wires only for airbag but the m-sport steering got 5 wires, socket also different sizes, i thought it's a pnp stuff…i need advice from otai-otai here, thanks

I think it is doable with the right kind of msport steering.. many guys have done it.. spend more time surfing the net and you will find.. or wait responses from otais here..

In my case it was pnp.. so couldnt help u much on diifferent wire count..

Hi bro, yours is a single stage airbag system. The latest m-sport steering is a dual stage airbag system. Even the slip ring is different. Yours, the slip ring stays on the steering when you take the steering out. The dual stage airbag steering would have its slip ring on the steering column.

I dont think it will physically fit without modification. Even if you could, i dont think the airbag would work.

Anyway, your solution would be installing the older style m-sport steering with 3 spokes, but bigger airbag. That would be pnp. But be careful when buying one because that version comes both in single and dual stage system.

I bought the steering with bigger airbag type…will be pointless if change steering but sacrifice airbag

You bought the wrong steering for your car. Sell that one and find another that is single stage.

Haywire it can be done. There is a certain 1997 E39 that I've help convert from original single stage old square type steering to E46 MSport steering c/w paddle shift n the dual stage airbag converted to a functional single stage airbag. Everthing is possible if u are willing to invest plenty of $$$$$

^ Thanks Hon ;)

I have a spare steering column from the dual stage model if thread starter is keen ... comes along with the short rod and ignition ...

I have this to let go Single Stage without airbag...condition 9/10...just re wrapped with tri color stitching, with brushed aluminium finishing..RM800

Attachments

• Msport 1.jpg
    Msport 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Msport 2.jpg
    Msport 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 10
  • msport3.jpg
    msport3.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 10
Thanks xxx, d steering stil with me, v-man, so means that i need a steering column will settle? Any mod on the wiring for steering column?

I think if you are going to change column and all that it will be cheaper just to get my steering ...unless Vman is gracious enough to give you the column for free... FYI the steering I posted was taken out from my 1997 E39... I went through with the column change and all that and costed me a bomb becos I changed to the one with shifters...if youre going tht way then you need to change the column...otherwise youre wasting time and money...

XXX said:
I think if you are going to change column and all that it will be cheaper just to get my steering ...unless Vman is gracious enough to give you the column for free... FYI the steering I posted was taken out from my 1997 E39... I went through with the column change and all that and costed me a bomb becos I changed to the one with shifters...if youre going tht way then you need to change the column...otherwise youre wasting time and money...
Hahaha... I already gracious enough give you 2 original HAMANN wheel cap for FREE worth RM 500 :p
If this column also give free, I'll start a charity bazaar soon... hehehe

Top Bottom