E38 730i years 95

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

PBB520

Club Guest
Hi All,Im currently using E28 520i in penang islang and i've got an offer from a mechanic where i serviced my car an offer of 43k for 730i E38.Honestly after look at it, i fell in love with it, but i was aware that it's V8 and it's such a big car.That's why i come here to ask all the users here to share what's the major problem that usually haunts the user of E38..I need some info regarding this matter so that i can prpare a budget for it incase something wrong with the car, n i might not take it IF THE COST OF MAINTAINANCE is too HIGH... Hope you guys can help and get me some info..Thank You in advance for the info,

Hi,

I am no pro but what i learned bout the e38 main problems are absobers, gearbox and the most, Nikasil problem. I guess its never cheap to maintain any 7 series for that matter. I have heard that one absorbers cost up to RM 15k or more, if that gives u a rough figure. And nikasil problem would require u to change the entire engine which you could imagine the cost and trouble.

I myself love the e38 alot but calculating every cost and penny, i am totally not ready for it so i had to give up. Otherwise, its one of the best cruiser around :) with a lot of style...

Regards

EuJax;414664 said:
Hi,

I am no pro but what i learned bout the e38 main problems are absobers, gearbox and the most, Nikasil problem. I guess its never cheap to maintain any 7 series for that matter. I have heard that one absorbers cost up to RM 15k or more, if that gives u a rough figure. And nikasil problem would require u to change the entire engine which you could imagine the cost and trouble.

I myself love the e38 alot but calculating every cost and penny, i am totally not ready for it so i had to give up. Otherwise, its one of the best cruiser around :) with a lot of style...

Regards

Yes, I agree with what EuJax mentioned. The E38 is one of my fave cars, but it's also not cheap to run. Like he said, main probs are usually with the Nikasil-related problems of the engine. E38s may seem pretty cheap when trawling thru the classifieds, but do remember that sometimes the road tax can be exorbitant and the maintenance costs are high.

Then again, I noticed that you're currently using the E28 5 Series. Does it costs a lot to maintain as well? Of course, I doubt can compare cos both cars are from different eras. Even my 730i E32 road tax is about RM 1.9 K already. :eek:

if the car is well maintained,wth service record i think its okay if u r prepared for the road tax n some cash extra just incase of emergency then..go for it..?
honestly d stability n top speed handling is superb..
but the nikasil did make me woried too..
but my car seems to be "good" to me..so nthing much to say..

gudluck bro..

unstopables_7;414674 said:
if the car is well maintained,wth service record i think its okay if u r prepared for the road tax n some cash extra just incase of emergency then..go for it..?
honestly d stability n top speed handling is superb..
but the nikasil did make me woried too..
but my car seems to be "good" to me..so nthing much to say..

gudluck bro..

Yeah. It all boils down to whether the car had been properly maintained and serviced regularly. Helps if you could find out from the mechanic who the previous owner was, so you can have an inkling as to how the car was treated.

The E38 really is a stunning car, even more beautiful than the W140 S Class, and it's high on my wishlist of cars to drive before I die. Of course, the V8s are the awesome point of the E38s. :)

Then again, I agree with what unstopables_7 said, you must consider the road tax and maintenance fees to keep the E38 in tiptop shape.

i don't think the nikasil issue is a problem in malaysia. my 328 is supposed to have it too, but so far i have not heard of a single malaysia car with that problem. in the uk it was casued by the high levels of sulphur in thier petrol.

would like to hear from anyone who has had an engine with this problem.

Slide;414766 said:
i don't think the nikasil issue is a problem in malaysia. my 328 is supposed to have it too, but so far i have not heard of a single malaysia car with that problem. in the uk it was casued by the high levels of sulphur in thier petrol.

would like to hear from anyone who has had an engine with this problem.

Hmm, I didn't know about that. Odd that despite our lower grade petrol, there's not much problems with the Nikasil issue.

Eggie86;414803 said:
Hmm, I didn't know about that. Odd that despite our lower grade petrol, there's not much problems with the Nikasil issue.

yah bro..
ron 95..?kilz my engine..
experience that b4..valves gone..

Thanks for the info...

Quite shocked!! when the cause of the absorbers is 15k!!!

Think I've to pass for this time being...
Scared all my savings will be killed by this ultimate car!!

hahaha, but surely it'll be in my wishlist!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS!!

Bro E38 shocks does not cost 15k. If it is 730i it is chea but if it is 730iL than mahal sikit but not 15k. You can check with this spare part shop for the price, name is Innerpower 0362517677. Ask for Tham

15k..ke..ke..ke
So, in few years time, the absorbers going to cost more than the whole car.
Imposibble.

redbaron;414916 said:
Bro E38 shocks does not cost 15k. If it is 730i it is chea but if it is 730iL than mahal sikit but not 15k. You can check with this spare part shop for the price, name is Innerpower 0362517677. Ask for Tham

yah bro..
if i'm not mistaken..
with d sensor wan is expensive..but juz normal wan is cheaper n nt 15k of course..
but UDM is still a UDM (touch wood) mine shock till now no prob..still "ok".so i do think it rely last..
i'm nt sure bout this..but my old mechanic said that..?corect me if i'm wrong guyz..

sigh~

hahahah alrite... thanks for the info ok~

probably i just stick to 5series hehe...

its either e38 or e39 im looking now.. :)

Hi everyone,

Very sorry for the wrong info on price of the e38 absorbers. I thought i read somewhere it cost bout that. So how much does one actually cost?

Sorry again.

Regards

PBB520;414973 said:
sigh~

Haha, bro. Always listen to your heart. Go for what you want. But I do agree that our choices are always confined to practical reasons, like maintenance and running costs. I'm grateful that my dad's sponsoring the running costs for my E32 so far, but that won't go on forever.

It's about time when I have to save enough cash to keep the car in tip-top condition.

Anyways, for me, do go for the E38! :D

I don't know much bout e38 but what do i know e34 shock can be used for e32. That's bout shock n bout petrol,i fill up my e32 with ron 95 n so far nothing bad happen to my e32.

E38 730i years 95

Hi PBB,

The original shock with Electronic Damping Control will cost RM16K for set of 4, excluding the spring. You can always get aftermarket shocks with EDC for eg. Bilstein B12 Sport Set for RM4200 or KW Variant 3 Coilover set for RM7500. Hotbits also offer at cheaper price but feedback is not good.

Overall maint ocst on the E38 730 will be more expensive than E28, easily 20% more, ie. use more engine oil, more spark plugs, more fuel, more tax, etc but the joy of driving also more. It's a very handsome beast if you ask me.

Don't think any problem with Nikasil engine in M'sia at all.

Hope this helps and sorry if reply is too late coz seldom sign in.

PBB520;414973 said:
sigh~

E38 and E39 not that different in running cost. The e38 cost approx 20% more.

Suyid;415662 said:
I don't know much bout e38 but what do i know e34 shock can be used for e32. That's bout shock n bout petrol,i fill up my e32 with ron 95 n so far nothing bad happen to my e32.

The E34 and E32 share similair suspension components parts but they are a little different. Looks the same, sound the same but not the same. :).

The E32 can run on Ron91 onwards.

Top Bottom