E38 - Facts findings

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Just shipped the front AC lip back and Theva_Bawah_Pokok should be able to give it a new lease of life :)

Originally posted by Vanquish@Oct 14 2005, 12:29 AM
Jip,

Izam's perfect ride ... the rare and super quick 740i Sports ...

"Under the hood is a new, revised 4.4L DOHC, 32 valve (with variable valve timing) V-8 that pumps out 282 hp at only 5,400 rpm and a strong 324 lb-ft of torque at a low 3,700 rpm.The factory lists 0-60 performance at 6.8 seconds. Not. This 740i Sport blasted from 0-60 in a average of 6.17 seconds with one run at 6.02 backed up with a 6.09. These runs were done by simply flooring the throttle from a standing start without manually shifting the "Steptronic" automatic. Passing performance was equally quick with a 50-70 time of 3.30 seconds. A steep grade will only slow that time to 4.5 seconds. This is incredible performance considering the 4255 pounds of curb weight and is genuine super car performance.

The Sport also has a shorter final drive ratio, 3.15:1 instead of the usual 2.81:1, for quicker acceleration. It also includes a torque converter with a higher stall speed for a quicker jump off the line. Underneath, the 740i Sport retains the basic 7 Series suspension: double-pivot strut-type front suspension with forged aluminum lower arms, and four-link independent rear suspension with twin-tube shocks, and anti-roll bars front and rear. But the front suspension is lower by 0.8-inch, springs are 10 percent and 25 percent firmer front and rear while shocks are twice as firm as on the standard 740i. The 740i Sport Package also gets a bigger-22 mm vs. 20.5 mm-front anti-roll bar.

The sharp-eyed may notice the lowered front end and Shadowline exterior trim (matte-black replacing chrome around the side windows, body-side molding and windshield washer jets). The most obvious external cues to the Sport Package are the elegant 18-inch M Parallel Spoke wheels, eight inches wide in front and an inch and a half wider at the rear. The front rims are mounted with 235/50ZR-18 performance tires while the rears are wrapped with fantastic 255/45ZR-18 performance rubber."

BTW, a colleagues of mine picked me up in his 1999 740i Sports when I was in New York a few years back. It was a very memorable 40 minute drive from the JFK airport and for the next 2 days, it was obvious why this 7er was the default enthusiast's choice for a luxo-sport saloon in the US back then.

Cheers,
Van,
Yes yes yes.... 740i sport .... me want tooo.... first time I read about it in Bimmer mag.... isnt this a US only model coz in UK/europe a sport version is almost always offered.... I know Izam is not in a hurry.... money no issue for him.... also he got sweet ride already (his 535) ...... but I think he is swayed by the 330i

DD,
If i was u I'd be peeing in my pants in anticipation by now.....

wah that price is super cheap dd!!! haven't seen one at around those prices...most i've seen also in excess of 30K...
sounds like it needs a bit of work & im sure if he's desperate enough, he'll let go lah...what a bargain..
just hope there are no hidden surprises in the future..esp running on those 20s in the past, the suspension system might need some overhauling..

Exactly Fuhrer. It's not just the price sometimes. Even though roadtax is only A$500+, other factors to consider includes fuel consumption (80L tank boy!!!), wear and tear of parts, maintenance, etc.

Will shop around slowly since I'm in no hurry. Well, I'm driving a 3.0L 6pot monster now and the petrol consumption kinda hurt a little. A$55 full tank only gets me about 300kms. Damn...Ouch! :blink: So you can imagine a 735i V8. My pocket not so deep.

Will also consider E39 523i, 528i.....

Actually the E34 525i are kinda nice too. Cheap. :nyehehe:

Sorry ah, 535i, pinjam your thread sikit....there's no 728i here lah...

E38 730i got V8 ah? :D

dad just sold his e39 530i for 45k!!! pengsan...55k loss in 3 yrs!!
another option to look at hehe..

Originally posted by 535i@Oct 14 2005, 05:28 PM
actually, I prefer to run on 20" .. cam nih .. :p
Abang Izam ...

20s are so yesterday. Got plenty of M3s and E39s running around on 20s. The new Hartge 21s are nice ... fitted to the Hartge E60 M5. Lurvely ...

Jippy,

Yup ... the 740i Sports were meant for the US / Canada market. My colleague is still holding on to his till today - 5 years on. He says that nothing else offers such a balanced mix of sports and luxury - he'll probably grow old with it. Abang Izam now looking at a 330i ? E90 ka ?

Saw this programme on TV featuring a souped up ride with 24" alloys.....gosh! :blink:

Originally posted by Fuhrer@Oct 15 2005, 05:18 PM
dad just sold his e39 530i for 45k!!! pengsan...55k loss in 3 yrs!!
another option to look at hehe..
My gosh..... I've seen some E39 535i being advertised for A$33,000!!! Really value buy if you ask me. Apparently, there's not much difference in terms of maintenance and fuel consumption between a 735i and a 740i. Both also mati lemas one......ekekek....

Originally posted by xtracooljustin@Oct 16 2005, 11:49 AM
say, by da way DD,

how's ur restaurant business in Melbourne la?
Belum start lagi lah. Banyak red tape. Don't worry, will make the annnouncement once it OPENs! Should be very very very soon...

Now, too busy test driving cars.....ekekek.... :D

Top Bottom