u wanna make it into something like this? :nyehehe:

229314_10.jpg

229314_14.jpg

229314_12.jpg

229314_7.jpg

229314_23.jpg

229314_22.jpg
Cool.... awesome looking.

Hmmmm....having owned an E38 and an E32, I can assure you there is no similarity in suspension parts or any other part for that matter.

Springs are bigger, shocks have different operating systems and the whole electronics platform is different...think Windows 95 and Windows XP

Sure they both may have self levelling and look similar but the similarity ends there, also cars equipped with self levelling have different suspension mounts (on the body), if you change from that to a normal set up you risk damaging the mounts should you hit a hole or something that upsets the suspension geometry. Ive seen 2 idiots think theyre smarter than BMW engineers and replace the self levelling with Bilstein Sport shocks only to come back after 2-3 months with a bent suspension housing!

1991 E32 have different Self Levelling shocks than 1994 E32 similarly, 1996 E38 have different shocks than 2000 and theyre not interchangeable!

Also remember that if the 7 comes with EDC thats another story,

If youre a purist spend the money and dont take shortcuts, otherwise....look for japanese car lah! but then again ive seen a bunch of jap cars retro fitted with self levelling now....hahaha what an about turn! :eek:

Originally posted by Zackary1@Oct 11 2005, 08:35 PM
Ive seen 2 idiots think theyre smarter than BMW engineers and replace the self levelling with Bilstein Sport shocks only to come back after 2-3 months with a bent suspension housing!

1991 E32 have different Self Levelling shocks than 1994 E32 similarly, 1996 E38 have different shocks than 2000 and theyre not interchangeable!

With iL version heavier than i version at rear, a lot people says it's for big fat boss sitting at the back chat for nothing or do something else :D ......here where the self leveling system come out.

I'm sure Bilstein or others will come out with something better when they know their product produce damage than solution , but it's the same as people said with sport suspension, your bushes and others will wear out much faster or damage it ? You got something and lost something .....

Well maybe iL with sport suspension , just be careful with your rear load ?

Well may be iL with sport suspension better for person just like to drive alone with no body at the back ?

It's still maybe till I own one ....

Too much to consider than i version is the solution :D

Originally posted by Zackary1@Oct 11 2005, 08:35 PM

Also remember that if the 7 comes with EDC thats another story,

As what I know from reading, if you intend to replace EDC with non-EDC, you need to change the whole strut assemblies which can get from non-EDC version.

So,may be without change it ,can damage your housing as Zackary1 said, but I think not easy to find non-EDC version in chop shop !

Does the End 1996 735i (not iL model) model come with self-leveling? All this self-leveling talk is making me very curious. Can somebody explain how does it actually work and what are its main advantage over normal suspension system? Is it similar to hydraulics suspension in Citroens?

What are the main things to look out for in a used E38 735i V8? Seen one with the full works (e.g. ori full AC Bodykit and Exhaust, 18" BBS Rims + new tyres, Sat Nav, Sunroof, other full specs with 140,000km on the clock).

Wonder what's the full tank in one of this monsters?

Originally posted by Daredevil@Oct 12 2005, 10:02 AM
Can somebody explain how does it actually work and what are its main advantage over normal suspension system?

not my word

The rear self leveling system is mechanical and has a lever connected to the rear sway bar. When the rear suspension moves beyond a certain point...it causes this lever to operate the pressure valve that fills the pressure accumulators. These accumlators contain a nitrogen bladder that expands and the bladder and Pentonsin CHF 11s fluid within the accumulator create the pressure used to maintain the rear suspension at its determined level...which in turn optimizes the driving experience by always keeping the car level...even when uneven pavement, extra load & capacity, etc would normally change the driving dynamics of normal car suspensions.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e38/6294967-1.html

Thanks Iqlima. What's Nikasil?

Just found this

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....The BMW M60 V-8 and BMW M52 6-cylinder engines (the M52 Nikasil engine never went to the USA) with Nikasil cylinder bore linings are particularly vulnerable to fuel (gasoline or petrol) with a high sulfur content.

The sulfur in the fuel breaks up the Nikasil lining in the cylinders, thus causing a loss of compression. Once the lining is damaged, excessive bore wear of the soft, underlying alloy occurs very quickly. Some Nikasil engines have failed in as little as 30,000 miles. And the effect is cumulative, so if the engine has ever been run on high sulfur fuel, the damage may already have been done and premature bore wear may result.

Some symptoms of the Nikasil problem are rough running at idle and difficult cold starting, both due to loss of compression. In severe cases, the loss of compression is so bad that the engine loses power. Oil consumption increases dramatically as oil is sucked up the side of the leaky pistons. In extreme cases, the compression decrease is so severe the car will not start in cold weather, especially M52 6-cylinder engines.

Over the years, BMW has provided replacements with steel, cast-iron or Alusil lined engines, at considerable cost to the manufacturer. Often, disgruntled owners have borne the brunt of these replacement costs, and prospective buyers are at risk, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bang 535i, make sure you get M62 engine man! Hahahaha.....no nikasil lining...

want to pick up a 3.5 litre monster at current petrol prices here in aust? nasi business must be good! haha..:)

Originally posted by Fuhrer@Oct 13 2005, 02:05 AM
want to pick up a 3.5 litre monster at current petrol prices here in aust? nasi business must be good! haha..:)
Well if it's a good buy, why not? Must try and convince the missy first. Hahahaha..... petrol prices are still bearable at the moment. Will be test driving this evening.....fingers crossed! :nyehehe: :D

This is the ride..... :nyehehe:

noice..looks like the older model with that steering wheel...super nice dual exhaust system. must be an AC system. Cause i hear you can't really use any other exhaust sytem on the e38 as engine oil will leak..weird design.
there's one in perth for sale as well a 740il..one owner going for under 45k i think. how much is this?

DD,

Thats a bitchin ride dude..... just from pics, Id say a keeper!

The RKs are nice.... just wondering if they could be bigger :yes:

Izam.... DDs showin the way..... awak pula bagaimana?

Jip,

Izam's perfect ride ... the rare and super quick 740i Sports ...

"Under the hood is a new, revised 4.4L DOHC, 32 valve (with variable valve timing) V-8 that pumps out 282 hp at only 5,400 rpm and a strong 324 lb-ft of torque at a low 3,700 rpm.The factory lists 0-60 performance at 6.8 seconds. Not. This 740i Sport blasted from 0-60 in a average of 6.17 seconds with one run at 6.02 backed up with a 6.09. These runs were done by simply flooring the throttle from a standing start without manually shifting the "Steptronic" automatic. Passing performance was equally quick with a 50-70 time of 3.30 seconds. A steep grade will only slow that time to 4.5 seconds. This is incredible performance considering the 4255 pounds of curb weight and is genuine super car performance.

The Sport also has a shorter final drive ratio, 3.15:1 instead of the usual 2.81:1, for quicker acceleration. It also includes a torque converter with a higher stall speed for a quicker jump off the line. Underneath, the 740i Sport retains the basic 7 Series suspension: double-pivot strut-type front suspension with forged aluminum lower arms, and four-link independent rear suspension with twin-tube shocks, and anti-roll bars front and rear. But the front suspension is lower by 0.8-inch, springs are 10 percent and 25 percent firmer front and rear while shocks are twice as firm as on the standard 740i. The 740i Sport Package also gets a bigger-22 mm vs. 20.5 mm-front anti-roll bar.

The sharp-eyed may notice the lowered front end and Shadowline exterior trim (matte-black replacing chrome around the side windows, body-side molding and windshield washer jets). The most obvious external cues to the Sport Package are the elegant 18-inch M Parallel Spoke wheels, eight inches wide in front and an inch and a half wider at the rear. The front rims are mounted with 235/50ZR-18 performance tires while the rears are wrapped with fantastic 255/45ZR-18 performance rubber."

BTW, a colleagues of mine picked me up in his 1999 740i Sports when I was in New York a few years back. It was a very memorable 40 minute drive from the JFK airport and for the next 2 days, it was obvious why this 7er was the default enthusiast's choice for a luxo-sport saloon in the US back then.

Cheers,

Tested the AC kitted beast last night. No doubt the V8 grunts like a monster waiting to wheelspin off the starting grid. And the Ori (yes you are rioght Fuhrer) Twon AC Exhaust system adds to the overall sweetness and that completes the picture.

Took the car and tackled some suburban streets. The back was self leveling suspension. Flew through a couple of speed bumps. No sweat. The rear self leveling suspension absorbed those bumps with ease. Hit the freeway to test power. Stepped on the throttle a little bit harder and it cruised to 140km/h. Maintain that speed for about 8 seconds.....Speed detector signage / alarm went off at 100km/h. This was like happening every 5 seconds because it took no effort to reach that speed. Damn!

Felt a little funny when the temperature of my arse started going up....hahaha....I realise the heated seat was activated. And guess what, you can actually set the temperature of each seat differently. A great tool to get rid of unwanted people. Hahahaha.... the sunroof provided that nice breeze. And the SATNAV TV is cool. Can watch TV while on the move. However, reception wasn't very good when the car is on the move.

Leather seats a little cracked. Paint job a little bad. Front AC spoiler paint cracked. Multifunction Steering a little worn out.

Owner said this ride used to have 21" alloys....gosh.....

Score :
Looks : 7/10
Power : 9/10
:D
Comfort : 9.5/10
Maintainence : 6.5/10
Fuel consumption : 4/10

Asking price : A$25,500. Year : Dec 1996, Mileage : 142,000km, Engine M62.

Will try to nego down to A$20k and it's done deal. :D :rolleyes:

Top Bottom