e36 m43 318 idling & stall problem - pls help

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

bbklow

Club Guest
Hi udm lovers,Need help from sifus out there.. Its driving me crazy.I can only start the car after pressing on the petrol. If i don't press, and do normal crank, won't start at all.However, after start and pressing on the petrol, the moment i let go of the foot pedal, the engine dies off.When I 'artificially' increase the petrol, by adjusting the petrol wire on the trottle body, idling is okay. But, once i turn on the air con, idling drops a bit by, say 100 - 200 rpm. The engine won't die off, if i 'artificially' increase the petrol.Bought a brand new AFM about a year back & just changed adjuster unit (used), 2 days back. The old one has a leak. Have also sprayed the ecu & AFM connectors, but no difference.Pls advise..Thanks!:smokin:

by the way, the mechanic has also cleaned the idle regulating valve..

check for leak in the vacuum hoses. AFM fault will cause erratic idling speed but leak in the vacuum line will stall the engine.

previously, my mechanic sprayed wd40 on the throttle cable, as it was a bit 'stiff'. stiff in the sense, that after revving th e engine, rpm a bit slow to come down. suspect, that caused the cable to 'drop' below the default setting. 'drop' in the sense that, if i manually decrease the petrol by turning the cable all the way down, the engine will die off.

so, now i have increased the idling to about 1000 rpm.. with air con on, and at D shift, rpm about 900. took car out for drive to office today. so far, so good. idling not below 600 / 700 even once. now, every time i start the engine, at the first crank, the engine will start. no low idling problem.

i have not checked the vacuum hoses yet. is it possible for the cable to 'drop' below the default level?

now, still thinking whether to send car to mechanic...

the rpm should be around 850 rpm whether A/C is on or off.

The compensation of the idling speed is taken care by the ICV. You are compensating the low rpm or stalling by increasing the rpm. In the long run, your fuel consumption will increased especially when you have not address the root cause.

GO and check the vacuum hose. IT IS NOT that difficult to do.

mech replaced a vacuum hose & screwed back nut between engine & exhaust manifold (screw was missing previously).. problem still persist.. car still at workshop..

bbklow;482537 said:
mech replaced a vacuum hose & screwed back nut between engine & exhaust manifold (screw was missing previously).. problem still persist.. car still at workshop..

check the fuel filter and change it. chocked filter also cause engine to stall.

possible try checking ya plugs , plug cable and the distributor .... as when you mentioned that you need to step of the pedal inorder to start the car ...causing by firing incomplete is what i see ....

just my 2 cents

problem finally solved!

things done:-
1. knock oxygen sensor
2. remove engine to extract nut
3. remove intake manifold to renew hose
4. exhaust welding

parts changed:-
1. exhaust bolts
2. exhaust nut
3. exhaust gasket
4. ventilation hose (used)
5. main idling hose
6. idling valve (used)
7. clip

so many things gone wrong.. now very happy.. thanks guys for all your advises!

: )

Top Bottom